RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N-frame grips ?

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

N-frame grips ?

On one of the gun auction sites there is a listing for a set of used S&W N-frame, square butt, smooth, Goncolo Alves grips with logo, which has a starting bid price, (no takers), of $369.99 plus shipping.

The question is this: Am I missing something here or is this just one of those pipe dreamers?
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

You need not bother yourself.
    Forget it and move on.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

There are some suckers that believe, the more you pay for it, the better it is...
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Banned

Are they "Cokes"?

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    You need not bother yourself.
    Forget it and move on.
    I will second that.
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

Boolit Master

I am an old dinosaur and no, repeat no, handgun grips are worth that much unless they are heavily gold plated. An then only for the gold. to me at least, james

Boolit Master

Mostly a pipe dream.

HOWEVER, the grips that came on the original .44 Magnums (aka the pre 29, Model 29, 29-1, and some early 29-2s) up through about 1964 or so were known as Coke Bottle, or "Cokes" to serious S&W collectors. They were subtly different from S&W Target grips. A set of original Cokes in very good condition can easily fetch $400. For that matter, the Target grips made up to about 1967 with the diamond panels around the screw holes will also fetch a premium over the later 70s/80s Targets, which were noticeably fatter and blockier.

Collectors are a funny bunch. I sort of am one, but I'm too frugal to get that nutty.

Boolit Buddy
    I recently sold a set of S$W L frame RB combat grips for $387. The grips on newer guns are not near the quality of guns made in the 80's and before. There are a lot of Collectors that want only perfect pairs with a great wood grain pattern.

P.T. Barnum said it best!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master
    Some of the prices asked & received for OEM grip sets is mind-boggling. I use Pachmayr and Hogue neoprenes to a large degree, and I have likely thrown away or given away a small fortune--if pricing like this is typical. One set of grips that I COULDN'T REMOVE FAST ENOUGH came recently on my Performance Center Model 625 x 4". Those pink/white/baby blue abominations might be just the thing in SFO's Castro District or in Palm Springs, but I pre-ordered and had on hand a set of Hogues when the revolver cleared DROS and came home. They got installed within 10 minutes.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Some of the prices asked & received for OEM grip sets is mind-boggling. I use Pachmayr and Hogue neoprenes to a large degree, and I have likely thrown away or given away a small fortune--if pricing like this is typical. One set of grips that I COULDN'T REMOVE FAST ENOUGH came recently on my Performance Center Model 625 x 4". Those pink/white/baby blue abominations might be just the thing in SFO's Castro District or in Palm Springs, but I pre-ordered and had on hand a set of Hogues when the revolver cleared DROS and came home. They got installed within 10 minutes.
    Amen to that description. I have seen them referred to as "clown" grips and I cannot ever see them bringing a small fortune in the future. S&W, what were you thinking??
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Thank you all for this thread:

I just got a Mod 29 with Pachmayr plastic grips last week. Yes I can shoot with them but...

After seeing this thread I called the ex-owner about the grips -and he sent them to me with the original box. He was going to throw these away... it's all "target" now... Me likes.

Petander, you are evidently living right!

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Petander, you are evidently living right!
    ..Yes..

Banned

Some Coke bottle S&W grips sell for much more than that!

Boolit Master
    I've seen the smooth presentation grips go into the $500 range. A lot of sellers put plastic grips on the guns they sell then put the grips on ebay.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by arlon View Post
    A lot of sellers put plastic grips on the guns they sell then put the grips on ebay.
    This is just wrong.

Boolit Buddy
    On the other hand; I know a retired parole officer and a deputy sheriff who both wish they had kept the Lew Horton 3" 629's they had years ago. Those had a factory round butt wood grip that looked like a squeezed banana. The grip made those little monsters the easiest shooting 44 mags either of these very experienced guys had ever shot. Those grips bring Ebay prices like the previous posters have commented on, but they might be worth the money.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like the combat grips they used on the models 24-3 with the 3" barrel in 44 special and the 624 3" barrel also in 44 special. If these are the ones that have the finger grooves then they are the ones of which you speak. Those can go for good money. And as far as the smooth targets are concerned last set I bought cost me about $50. Always thought those type of grips or stocks were way too fat. The smooth targets. But having said all this, if the original revolver came with a specific type of grips and they are not on it when purchased some collectors will pay good money to get the correct ones. Frank

I wheel and deal S&Ws, P&R era or older. It aggravates me that rubber grips are put on S&Ws and stock grips sold separately. They only do this because buyers are to stupid to dock the price the value of a set of factory grips.

You can find same set of grips from $25 to $300+. I just bought 2 sets of N targets, new in bubble packs for $60@. I would pay $100 for NIB N frame grips but that would be my limit for standard factory targets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast