Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: hiking/fishing revolver

Boolit Buddy
    If you actually plan on using it for plinking or harvesting a small game animal I'd take a Ruger single six.

I just grabbed one of these off Gunbroker this morning. This will be my new hiking/camp/trail gun.
    https://ruger.com/products/newModelB...eets/0475.html
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    How about a 3” lcrx. I have a 38spl one, but they also make a 357. My 38 weighs about 17-18ozs.
    Is that a Simply Rugged Holster?. Thinking about getting one for my new Ruger Lipsey 3 3/4" 45 convertible. How do you like it?
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    I just grabbed one of these off Gunbroker this morning. This will be my new hiking/camp/trail gun.
    That my friend is a dandy lookin revolver! Please tell in another post how it compares to the plain blackhawk grip. Been tempted on the Bisley grip a few times but really want to shoot one first.

Boolit Master
    Nice ! That would make a great trail gun.
    But I am easy , I want stainless and a barrel 41/2 to 3" light weight is nice but not a requirement for me.

Boolit Master
    If I had to choose for a woods companion pistol I'd go for my 10-5 model 10 or a model 15 with iron sights. I scored two nice black basket weave holsters for them and two 12 round belt slides. Load them with Speer Gold dots and keep a few snake loads for the critters. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    I believe I would choose the Freedom Arms Model 97 in .44 Special chambering for its accuracy, fairly light weight, stainless steel construction, good sights, and very useful caliber. For fishing maybe carried in a shoulder holster.
    Last edited by Golfswithwolves; 02-10-2020 at 03:56 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MSD MIke View Post
    Realistically it's just for fun. Carry something you think is kick ***. I like a good single action so I can play cowboy and shoot cans if the fishing sucks.
    Perfect advice.

Boolit Bub
    i have been looking at the ruger lcrx 3 inch 38 special. i like the less then 1 pound weight

Boolit Grand Master

My hiking, fishing and just walking in the woods gun is mostly my trusty Single Six 22mag. When deer and moose are in the rut or I'm out hunting whitetail, bear or whatever I up my game to my 45LC.

My wife prefers my or her Chiefs Special.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

I've got one with a longer barrel for my test loads. Much like my Blackhawk 357 I will have to do something really off the rails to blow it up. Love my Blackhawks.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I've got one with a longer barrel for my test loads. Much like my Blackhawk 357 I will have to do something really off the rails to blow it up. Love my Blackhawks.
    I can't wait to get it. Going to order a holster from Simply Rugged.

Boolit Master
    My "fishing" and anything around water gun is a 90s vintage S&W 60-10 .357 Magnum with adjustable sights and 3" barrel...hides most anywhere and you'll forget it is there. If you can't find a 60-10 a 60-15 or 60-15 PRO would work as would the Ruger LCRX3" .357 Magnum...

In the LCRX3" I would go with the .357 over the .38 Special as the frame of the .38 is aluminum whereas the frame of the .357 is steel...only 3 oz difference you'll never notice till you shoot it...

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    My go-to woods carry pistol is an old secondhand 4" S&W 66. If I didn't have it I'd take my 4" 686+ along. I like the versatility of the .357 chambering.
    I've been contemplating the 4" 69 .44 Mag with handloads, but I've got to get one first

Boolit Buddy
    I'm contemplating about avaquero birdshead in 45 colt with a 3.75" bbl. Nice and compact, plenty of whompem. But i realise im probably in the minority on this one.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    My "fishing" and anything around water gun is a 90s vintage S&W 60-10 .357 Magnum with adjustable sights and 3" barrel...hides most anywhere and you'll forget it is there. If you can't find a 60-10 a 60-15 or 60-15 PRO would work as would the Ruger LCRX3" .357 Magnum...

In the LCRX3" I would go with the .357 over the .38 Special as the frame of the .38 is aluminum whereas the frame of the .357 is steel...only 3 oz difference you'll never notice till you shoot it...

Bob
    Totally agree with this on the LCRX3. Had the 38 LCRX3, great gun but traded it for the 357, and never looked back. Just a handier package. You won't notice the difference in weight on your hip. If you need snake shot, and you make your own, the 357 works better.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234