Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: hiking/fishing revolver

Ordered 2

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    At the bottom of their page they had heavy barrel 10's for $249 but they are only in fair cond. Either one of those 10's is a great deal on a great shooting Smith&Wesson.
    Yep, if I was in the market for a model 10, I would have already purchased one of those.

I've carried a Smith M60, 3" for years while trout fishing, both here in Ky, as well as GA and NC. One round of snake shot and the other 4 with .38 Special wadcutters pretty much handles the anticipated chores. I carry it in a home made holster, riveted to below the left armpit of my fishing vest....Outta sight, readily available, and that SS construction keeps sweat and wet weather at bay. YMMv Rod

Boolit Master
    Shot shell loads, 38/357 are better than 22. I had a lot of fun playing around with them. I found a Blackhawk that had been carried a lot and shot very little, 45 Colt. Complete game changer with shot shells. FYI I cut some .410 shells down and used them, no issue with shotgun primers either.

One thing lead to another and made some for the 480 Ruger. It’s ok but not a lot better pattern wise than the 45. I think the longer barrel on the 480 hurts patterns, where the 45 with the 4 5/8” is handier than I ever imagined.

Boolit Master

4" stainless Ruger GP-100. Bombproof and fairly easy to get into when you get it really icky.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodfac View Post
    I've carried a Smith M60, 3" for years while trout fishing, both here in Ky, as well as GA and NC. One round of snake shot and the other 4 with .38 Special wadcutters pretty much handles the anticipated chores. I carry it in a home made holster, riveted to below the left armpit of my fishing vest....Outta sight, readily available, and that SS construction keeps sweat and wet weather at bay. YMMv Rod

rodfac, show us a pic of that holster if you can. I am always on the lookout for a more comfortable way to carry a side arm. As one of my old shooting buddies once said, " If the Lord intended you to carry a pistol -comfortably, he would have made you with a holster". LOL
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Probably all gone from the system but the mesh aircrew survival vests came with a holster that could be sewn to the vest that had two sets of straps, one for 1911 and one for the M10 S&W. Had one for a while and have no idea where it went.

Banned
    I had one of those mesh vests and accompanying holster. Wish I had held onto it. It was a decent hot-weather rig that held a lot of gear.

Was the holster sewn to the outside or inside?
    Was it a canvas holster? Apologies for the hijack.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ddixie884 View Post
    Classic Firearms has cheap model 10 S&Ws. They have 10-7s rated good for $219.99, Google it..........
    Gone out of stock.

Boolit Master
    Definitely hard to beat a good .38 with a decent load, as long as you don't need to worry about anything with big claws and teeth to contend with. The only issue I have with the .357 mag is that if you ever do need to use it, you may as well write off your hearing for a good while afterward.

If you have the choice, I'd go with a 4" .44 mag or .45 Colt, and keep the load fairly sedate like 250ish grain cast SWC at about 900 fps. That would be way less blasty than .357 mag and could still take darn near anything in the lower 48. The larger caliber would also allow for a far more effective load of snake shot if you want to go that route.

Murf, vest and holster are down at our cabin in NC at present. The holster was riveted inside the vest on the left side, allowing for a right hand draw. It's all leather (really, canvas or something similar would be better) and tilted forward (sort of like a cross-draw angle), it is an open top without keeper strap. I've considered attaching a strap across the trigger guard to assist in keeping it anchored if I take plunge.

It's worked out ok, with but as with anything else, I can feel the weight when the vest is fully loaded. As I've aged, (73+ now), I find my fishing needs while actually on the stream have diminished...getting back to my origins where a Prince Albert's can with leader, a dozen flies and a few micro split shot suffice. I have, in fact radically reduced the amount of unnecessary crap in my vest...YMMv, HTH's Rod

Ruger SP101 .357 Mag. would be my choice.
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

Boolit Master
    Since this has departed from the , fairly narrow, bounds of the op.. If you can find a Taurus Ti 41mag Tracker, you will have found a fine fishing and woods walking revolver. They weigh, memory here, 23 oz! About the same as a M36 snub. The ammo in the Tracker adds notable weight. The bigger bore is nicer of snake loads( gotta do your own, but that’s what we do here. With 41special brass loading. 225 gr to 1000 or so it pretends to be a 44 special. I like mine, fits some k frame holsters too. Titanium is pretty water tolerant too. Mine was in my coat pocket, which my wife decided to wash. Yep it got washed, no worse for wear, was in need of a cleaning any way. Was so light she didn’t notice, yeah with 41mag 225s it does let you know it’s a magnum.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Go for the used Model 10.

Where you hiking in North Texas?

Be advised though we don’t have bears, there are huge cockroaches called feral hogs.

I pack a 4” M-66 in my little slice of heaven, aka Jack County.

Boolit Grand Master

My model 36 fills the bill for me.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Realistically it's just for fun. Carry something you think is kick ***. I like a good single action so I can play cowboy and shoot cans if the fishing sucks.

Boolit Man
    Charter Arms Bulldog... 44sp..

I live in Ohio, no large animals to attack. I fooled with a lot of 22s to find perfect loafing gun. This is carried while wade fishing and while engaged in other outdoor activities other than hunting. The gun has to be accurate enough that it’s worth carrying and of size and weight that isn’t a PIA. I did use a m34 S&W for this until I took a header in the creek. I didn’t want to carry my 34 anymore and started looking at 22auto pistols on 32 frame size. I tried most of them but ended up with S&W 422, adj sight model as my fish’n gun. It’s light accurate and easy to clean.

Charter Arms 416 stainless revolvers are just plumb OK.
    And, you can pretty much take your pick of calibers.
    Oh, but might wanta be sure and pick one that won't blow a hole in the bottom of the barrel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast