MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Repackbox

Thread: Really like my Husqvarna Model 20 shotgun

Boolit Master

Really like my Husqvarna Model 20 shotgun

While deer hunting didn't go well this year, I can say small game hunting has been pretty decent. We have a storm and cold front coming in for the weekend so I decided to head out to a spot where there's normally a fair amount of squirrel and I had my Husqvarna Model 20 12 gauge from 1905 with me. Even though I can use smokeless ammo, the chambers are only 2 5/8" so I handload for it, using light 7/8 ounce loads, using # 7 1/2 shot for small game.

I hadn't been able to get much of a shot all day long, but then I was able to line up a couple of nice size greys later in the afternoon. One of them falling out of the tree and rolling down into a stream that thankfully was only a few inches deep. I don't know how long it's been since this gun was out in the woods, but it's such a nice gun to carry and very light, I plan on taking it out more often.
    My handloads again are pretty light, but they've been doing the job, I had trouble for a while keeping the overshot card secured because I don't crimp these, I'm using Cheddite 2 1/2" shells since it's only a 2 5/8" chamber and uncrimped the shells are the right length, so I load the powder, a light charge of Red Dot, close to the minimum, the wad, 7/8 ounce and the overshot card.

I patterned these out to 30 yards so far with these and it does pretty well.

Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Banned

Cool old shotgun. There's just something a lot more satisfying about using the old timers, especially with your own specialized handloads.

Boolit Master
    If that were mine I’d give some serious consideration to loading some buckshot and or slug loads to knock over a deer . I usually do Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0DF21DF8-E166-4621-9C95-56E47C26F9FF.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	255095 I got a double on deer one day with my Parker Grade 2 10 gauge hammer gun shooting 0 buck handloads . The doe in the picture above was killed with 0000 buck handloads from a circa 1891 Parker EH 10 gauge , that guns slightly rare as Parker only made 68 10 gauge EH grades with 28” barrels .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    If that were mine I’d give some serious consideration to loading some buckshot and or slug loads to knock over a deer . I usually do Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0DF21DF8-E166-4621-9C95-56E47C26F9FF.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	255095 I got a double on deer one day with my Parker Grade 2 10 gauge hammer gun shooting 0 buck handloads . The doe in the picture above was killed with 0000 buck handloads from a circa 1891 Parker EH 10 gauge , that guns slightly rare as Parker only made 68 10 gauge EH grades with 28” barrels .
    I always enjoy seeing those old doubles you collect still doing their thing. Buckshot isn't legal for deer here, though I know I could do it, most of mine I take within buckshot range. That would be a cool thing to do one day with a vintage shotgun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Cool old shotgun. There's just something a lot more satisfying about using the old timers, especially with your own specialized handloads.
    Buckshot here isn't legal, and I am not sure I would want to push a slug depending on how tight these chokes are, but I am curious what a single roundball load would be like.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Buddy
    you can easily cut down WW AA's or RP Nitros to 2.5" and Fold crimp them. Hodgdon has data for these cut down hulls. You may have to add spacers {washers) under the final crimp die depending on your loader. Mec makes a "short" kit just for this purpose. My old pacific loader just needs a couple of washers under the final crimp die. I love my Husky M-20 as well. Those old hammer guns are a lot of fun!. I use a length of PVC pipe and an exacto knife to trim cases to 2.5".

Boolit Bub
    David, I have an old German SXS and load .690 round balls, cast out of wheel weights, in a standard AA shot cup, fits nice! They weigh 495 grains in pure lead. I will have to weigh the WW ones. I plan on using it on deer when I get it zeroed in.

Boolit Grand Master

Could you use those shorty shells like the 1.75in Aguilla in it?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    I would use RST shells in any older short chambered guns. I have no information on the pressure levels produced by the Aguillia shells produce. The RST's are designed for low pressures in older guns. Hand loading low pressure short shells is relatively easy. Hodgon has data online.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Not to mention that the Aquilla shells are more expensive than the RST .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master

You just have to love those old shotguns. Yesterday I ran across a Remington 11-48 in 16 gauge. The instant I picked it up, I knew I liked it. The stock had chipped around the wrist, but was priced accordingly. I gave it a good cleaning, and it runs like a sewing machine. I couldn't find my postal scale, but a bathroom scale says it is about 6.7 pounds. I was surprised by this, as it feels much lighter. I would have guessed right at 6 pounds. It has a thin 28" fixed choke barrel that pulls up fast, and still swings like a dream. It fits me perfectly. I measured the choke, and found it at .655", however, the barrel was marked modified. I slugged it, and indeed found the bore is .675", making it a modified choke. According to the date code, it was built in October 1951. I think this one has the potential to become a great hunting gun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-48.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	255945