Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: Best source for a 1903A3, military stock barrel or aftermarket.

Boolit Master

Best source for a 1903A3, military stock barrel or aftermarket.

Ok here goes guys. I have a friend who is a paraplegic, from a virus, he is wheelchair bound. His grandfather was a friend, and old school gunsmith who I knew growing up. He left him a pretty slick 03A3 action, with good numbers on it. He no longer able to hunt, but has a 16 year old son who loves hunting. He was wanting me to build a 30/06 on this action to give to his son, for his birthday in May. I was wondering if anyone knows where I might get a mil surp barrel, if they are cheap enough, or an aftermarket replacement. Also if anyone has one they want to sell, laying around. I have a stock I am donating and I am going to do the work, barreling, drill and tap, hot blue and bed, finish the stock, all for free to help him out. He wants to pay for the barrel, and is on a fixed income/disability check which does not leave him much to play with. All help appreciated.

Moderator Emeritus

Michael and Anthony Pucci, Jr. make a living selling (primarily) military firearms and parts thereto. They have always treated me more than well, and *I* would not hesitate in asking Tony or Mike. They are situated on Long Island, New York, having a pretty well equipped shop with sign above door, "Orion7 Enterprises." Anthony is a past Chairman of Board of Garand Collectors Association, and to state he knows "lots" of people would be more than an understatement! Their telephone is 631 205 1299; in past they were closed on Thursday for on-range testing and the like.
    Perhaps worth a 'phone call? (You may mention my name -- they know me )
    geo

Boolit Master
    Thanks a bunch, great place to start it sounds like.

Boolit Master
    Are you wanting an original configuration military barrel or will a sporterized one work? I think I have a decent sporterized military barrel in my stuff. If you can use it, and I can find it, the price will be the postage to send it. Please advise.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Mold
    Get a new mil spec Criterion barrel.

https://criterionbarrels.com/product-category/m1903a3/

Boolit Grand Master
    CMP (the Civilian Marksmanship Program) has a website for sales of all vintage US Military Rifle parts back to the Krag. Their active forum also has an active Swapping and Selling segment as wall.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Thanks everyone for the replies, Elk Hunter I sent you a pm!

Boolit Master
    GI barrels (2 groove) regularly turn up on the CMP forum in the $150-200 range NIW. They will require fitting as the new barrels are short chambered. The Criterion barrels are new manufacture (believe 4 groove) and have a good reputation. At one time gunsmiths had take off barrels from rifles rebarreled to a different caliber, many in like new condition. Have used several of these and if installed so the witness marks lined up head spaced okay. For a sporter try to find a milled trigger guard, looks much nicer than the stamped A3 guard.

Boolit Master
    I would simply grab a Criterion barrel and not look back. If it's for a sporter build there's no point in spending as much (or more) for a milsurp barrel as what a new Criterion barrel sells for from the CMP. Having owned a few now, I can pretty much guarantee it'll shoot better than a wartime 03A3 barrel. (Of course exceptions exist, but you'll look long and hard to find that exception.)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    I would simply grab a Criterion barrel and not look back. If it's for a sporter build there's no point in spending as much (or more) for a milsurp barrel as what a new Criterion barrel sells for from the CMP. Having owned a few now, I can pretty much guarantee it'll shoot better than a wartime 03A3 barrel. (Of course exceptions exist, but you'll look long and hard to find that exception.)
    ^^This^^ NIW milsurp barrels cost just about the same as a Criterion barrel. I wouldn't even think twice about it - order a Criterion!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I have a nice 2 groove chambered to .308 Norma Magnum, blued. Bolt face would need to be opened. take 20.00 for it.

Boolit Master
    If you are looking for a reproduction type "C" stock google Starkeys stocks. Just saw the ad in the firearms news aka old shotgun news. I believe they make them for the 1903 and 1903A3 as well. As far as new old stock A3 barrels I see them occasionally for sale on the gunboards forums. Prices usually range from about $150 up to $200 with the 4 groove maybe slightly higher. 2 groove may be a little less. I don't know if you mentioned it but a milled complete trigger guard complete will run about $100 to $150 or so. The issue trigger can be stoned and polished to give a nice 2 stage let off. I found a bubba'd 1903A3 years back for about $100.
    New A3 barrel was $35, able to save the fajen sporter stock,milled trigger guard was about $50. I did all the metal work and the smith took off the old barrel, installed the new one,D&T for a steel Lyman 57 SME,installed a Redfield banded ramp front sight with front sight blade for $200. That price also included bluing it as well.You can tell this was done a bunch of years back by the prices. Still have it and still shoots well. Only thing I regret is that I didn't have the bold altered for scope usage and D&T for scope base and rings. Frank

Boolit Buddy

Guy in Denver specializes in restoring 03's of all variants, probably has anything you need. Chuck Moline at Warpath Vintage. He also works on rifles for the CMP.