Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/3 boolit speckled, remaining looks good, novice caster

Boolit Bub

1/3 boolit speckled, remaining looks good, novice caster

3 new Lee molds. Scrubbed all three with Dawn, then 90% iso alcohol, heated till dry.

Fourth session with each mold. Casting temp with a cheap analog gauge is consistently at 650ish. Range scrap with just under 1% more tin from a roll of 50/50 solder. Using a Lee bottom pour pot. Fluxing with wood shavings, then some candle wax.

I'm new to casting, so it's probably me. I've been working on it for a few days, experiencing what to look for, what to do, diagnosing issues, etc. I'm now much better at getting and keeping molds at temp, touching them on a sponge when I can tell it's time. I stir the mix with a wood dowel now and then. I'm not messing with the sprue leftovers, nor the boolits, while casting. Trying to keep a rhythm. I drop onto a silicon bake pan.

Issue I'm experiencing with all the molds is that the boolits all exhibit some kind of frosted speckled appearance on about a third of the boolit, then the remainder has a dull-smooth (nice to me) appearance, with what looks like good fill out. The areas of the frosted speckle appearance can go either way with fill-out appearance.

So, I scrubbed again with a toothbrush and dawn, but same issue occurs. Tried pot temp from 600 through 725; same result. However, they are looking better on the fourth casting session than any of the first three.

The molds themselves are a 405gr 45 cal hollow base, a 450gr 45 cal solid, and a 60 cal ball.

Molds still dirty? Not fluxing enough? Molds need more time in use? Nut behind the wheel needs what?

I can post photos later.

Boolit Master

Frosted bullets means your molds too hot. Won't hurt nothing. Once the frost starts showing swipe your mold across a damp.sponge for a few seconds. That will help.

I prefer heat my molds. In about 3 or 4 cast I will have over heating issues. Depends on the mold but either bullets will frost or bases will crater. You can see the signa leading up to that. So I learned to work in a damp sponge to keep the temps down. A mini desk top fan helps too. I cast twice then swipe the mold for 1 to 2 seconds. If the mold was all ready over heated then it gets about 4 seconds

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Molds tend to work better the more times you use them. Kind of like cooking with cast iron or seasoning a good cooking skillet

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Bub
    The frosting seemed to happen not long after I began casting, so I turned down the pot temp. It just felt like the molds hadn't enough time to get too hot that early on, but I don't have that "feel" yet.

BTW, I'm doing it in the garage, with the door open a little, and I'm in Ohio.

I read the frosting isn't an issue; it's the speckling I'm concerned about. It's not a smooth surface. I assumed the molds were still dirty, so I washed them again. I can tell which mold needs more time to come up to temp, and which one heats very quickly. The single 405 takes more time, whereas the double 450 overheats quickly.

An issue I'm having specifically with the 405 hollow base mold is that there is some lead flashing left around the circumference of the base, as if the hollow point nipple isn't seated tightly to the mold. Happens more often than not.

Boolit Master
    What are you using to lubricate the mold pins and contact surfaces on the HP plug? Too much oil creeps into undesired places and could be a source of pitting appearance. The mold should be held tightly closed, but not white fingered tightly. Careful closing to align the pins might help as well.

Boolit Bub
    I'm using NOE lube on a qtip. After cleaning, and heating the mold/handle, I wipe the qtip on the top of the mold, bottom of sprue plate, and the alignment pins. Then wipe off the shine with the other unused end of the qtip. Maybe during the wipe, there's a bit of oil getting into the cavity, but I was pretty careful to stay away from them. I have graphite spray I use on the tractor; sprays on dark gray, can fan it to go with a light or heavy coat.

Boolit Master
    When you say speckling, do you mean wrinkles? When I hear speckled I think of frosted bullets which aren’t really a big problem. If 1/3 of bullets have wrinkles and aren’t completely filled out that is usually a problem with the mold being to cold or oil in the cavities. Too slow of flow into the mold can also cause those issues.

Boolit Bub
    Not wrinkles; I've experienced those. I just took photos, so I'll crop and upload.

You can see on the hollow base boolit the flashing on one, but not the other. Like that on all I casted. The round ball shows one side all narly, but the other smooth.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200119_104742.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	255049Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200119_105051.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	255056Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200119_104955.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	255053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200119_104751.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	255050Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200119_104554.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	255047Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200119_105018.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	255054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200119_104930.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	255051Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200119_104729.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	255048Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200119_105038.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	255055Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200119_104938.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	255052
    Last edited by soflarick; 01-19-2020 at 12:03 PM.

Boolit Master
    I shot frosted and semi frosted and they all shot fine. If your bullets are speckled or frosted here and there they shoot fine. Good fill out is more important than anything

Boolit Bub
    Would smoking with a wood match or butane lighter aide in fill-out? Some of the boolits dropped showed frosting, but inadequate fill. I didn't think more tin was necessary. The hardness of the alloy right now is 10.5, so I assumed there was enough tin in it. The range scrap was a mix of jacketed, powder coated, and plain cast. Most were jacketed, which I know contains mostly pure lead.

Boolit Grand Master

What I see on the ball and nose of bullets are inclusions/ dirt/debris/dross, you need to flux really well. The flashing around the base usually can be prevented by keeping the base of the that pin lubed so the cavity halves close around it completely. I used to get those inclusions when I fluxed with Marvelux however you spell it.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

As mentioned above, frosting is from a hot mold, not melt temperature. 400 grain bullets are pretty big and depending on the mold (single, two, or multi cavity) uneven heating can happen, possibly why just part of your bullets get frosty. Leave the temp at about 675-700 and I'd say quit cleaning/scrubbing the mold and don't "smoke" it or use anything in the cavities (usually smoking a mold is to aid bullet release, not fill out). I sometimes "season" a new mold, aluminum too. After one good cleaning I heat the new mold on my hot plate set on high, let it reach temp and then turn off the hotplate and cool. Repeat 5-6 times. This seems to help getting keepers quicker.

I've seen it said a few times; "The only way to learn to cast bullets is to cast bullets". Practice, practice, practice...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Bub
    Perhaps stirring with the wood dowel isn't helping. I thought it'd help flux by putting some carbon into the mix now and then. I should scrape the bottom better with a metal spoon.

Wipe some NOE around the base of that pin on the hollow base?

I'll do the hot plate thing.

Lots of fun practicing and learning, anyway.

Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by soflarick View Post
    Perhaps stirring with the wood dowel isn't helping. I thought it'd help flux by putting some carbon into the mix now and then. I should scrape the bottom better with a metal spoon.

Wipe some NOE around the base of that pin on the hollow base?

I'll do the hot plate thing.

Lots of fun practicing and learning, anyway.

Thanks.
    I think you are on to something there. Sometimes emptying the pot and giving it a good scrubbing does wonders, I use a ss cup brush in a drill, do it outside and wear a mask and nitrile gloves. What looks like a clean pot can yield a tablespoon full of junk that gets into your cleaned alloy. Those black dents are inclusions from debris poured in with your alloy.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Bub
    K, dump and clean. I have brass and stainless utility brushes to do it. I use a carbon mask when I do anything with lead.

Boolit Grand Master

I'll bet you find a bunch! Your bullets look good, sharp lines no rounded edges mold temp looks right on the money. When you get the crud out of your pot you will be making some nice bullets, good job!

edit: could it be in your "range scrap" alloy?
    Last edited by swheeler; 01-19-2020 at 02:17 PM.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Bub
    Well, thanks. I should have cleaned the NEW pot better than just a hosing of brake cleaner. I assumed it was clean enough. That, and the wood stick. I have a couple small tubs of that Brownells flux. Haven't yet used it; just wax and wood shavings right now. Candle wax seems to do a nice job. I think I saw someone suggesting a ball of wax and lithium grease as a flux. Probably as many recipes for flux as there are for boolit lube.

Those freshly cleaned moulds need time in casting to develop a patina in the cavities.

If you do anything just make some powdered graphite from rubbing pencil lead on fine sandpaper and use a Q tip to rub it into the cavities.
    Blow out the excess and go to town casting. Let that natural patina form up.

Don't know what's been said in the posts above but those irregularities look to me like crap in the lead in the pot boolit-metal...like suspended oxidized lead that didn't stir out when you fluxed.
    I wouldn't put anything in the pot other than wax to stir the mix well and then cap off the top of the melt to prevent oxidization while your casting.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I'd go easy with that wooden stick.

If it bubbles when ya put it into the pot,,,,, that's the tinsel fairy knocking on your door, and wanting in.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Bub
    Fluxed with candle wax and spooned off dross before dumping the pot. Yea, lotta junk in there. No more wood stir stick in the casting pot.

I'll give the pencil trick a try.

Thanks all for the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast