RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buying a Used Micrometer

Boolit Buddy
    What are some things you would ask, if you were buying a used mike.
    I was checking a few of my micrometers and found a patent date of 1898, I believe I can come close to making up a set of then; it is as though the micrometers did not grow old like everything around them.

F. Guffey

Boolit Master
    One of the problems with buying anything used (that you cannot examine in person first) is the seller may know nothing and does not care to know anything about the item he or she is selling. It is just a way to make money for the seller. You assume some risk. The way to mitigate that risk is knowing as much as possible.
    Micrometers are expensive when new so most owners take care of them. If you know enough to choose a good brand always buy one that appears to be in near new condition. Most any trashed mike will also look trashed.

Quote Originally Posted by jimkim View Post
    What are some things you would ask, if you were buying a used mike. I want to know if it was stored closed. I want to know if it has hardened faces. I want to know if it has any rust. Basically I want to know if it was properly maintained. I'd like to know if it had been dropped. Seriously though, what would you ask an online seller? I have bought one NOS govt surplus ST vernier mike. I've always been leery of buying used precision measuring tools. I just want to cover my butt when buying. Thanks.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Ask if you can inspect and return within a reasonable time. Don't bother asking if they've been dropped, stored closed, etc because a lot of people won't tell you or they may not know.
    I've bought three or four used mike and all are serviceable. I saved a few hundred bucks and and if they go south I have enough "good" ones on hand.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    I've bought three or four used mike and all are serviceable. I saved a few hundred bucks and and if they go south I have enough "good" ones on hand.
    I have no interest in competing, I will never be able to replace my micrometers. I have at least10 that would require an investment of +$600 to replace. I have one Fowler that cost $2,700 new and then there is the 36" height gage.

I got lucky on a Pratt and Whitney gage. It had the ability to make fine measurements like .000005". I removed most of the electronics to convert it to a height gage. If anything it is one of the smoothest height gage I have.

F. Guffey

Boolit Buddy
    I was watching the RFD network, I noticed they were rebuilding a steam locomotive, I was impressed. When they started on the drive system they dug out the big micrometers. 1" to 12", 13" to 14", I have those micrometers, today I would be hard pressed to find something to use them on.

F. Guffey

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123