Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32 S&W Long question

32 S&W Long question

I decided today to load some .32 SWL using some 95 gr LFP cast bullets. There doesn’t seem to be any data out there for that size bullet, but I found a few old manuals that had something close. Lyman #44 had 93 gr cast bullets with a max of 4.3 gr Unique. Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #3 showed a max of 3.7 gr Unique, and Ideal #38 4.3 gr Unique with a 98 gr bullet. I figured I’d be safe, and Only go to a max of 3.5 gr Unique. I only shot three test shots at this level from a Charter Undercoverette since it was getting ready to rain; and they shot true with no excess pressure signs, but I didn’t expect any since it’s a fairly low pressure round. Later I found MD Smith’s pages that showed a 98 gr .32 Long +P, which doesn’t exist, at a max of only 3.0 gr Unique, and a regular max of 2.6 gr.

I can find no other data for a bullet in this range, so I started wondering if the older data was really that much hotter than it should be. I can understand not loading stiff loads out of an old break top, but should these loads be safe in a .32 H&R like the Undercoverette?

Boolit Grand Master
    The heavier loads of Unique exceed 32 Long pressures, if that matters to you. The 32 H and R has a fair amount of loading data for it and given that is so I restrict 32 Long cases to 32 Long pressures and save the hotter stuff for the longer case.

As long as you do not exceed 32 H and R pressures in the Long case you will be fine, but it is hard to know where you are at because recent pressure tested data does not go that high in the Long for understandable reasons. Since my Long revolvers are not as stout as yours I call a halt at around 3 grains Unique with a 98 grain RN or SWC of standard seating depth. As I understand it 3.5 grains of Unique is over Long pressure levels.

Boolit Grand Master
    That 3 grain charge gets 780-820 fps depending upon which 98 grain bullet is used by the way. The RCBS 98 SWC goes slower due to shallower bullet seating, while other variants go faster, this from about four inch barrels.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Some useful data:

.32 S&W Long Factory Vs. Handloads In Revolvers and Rook Rifle

Remington cases, Federal 200 primers in all handloads:

Ammo Type________________Colt 2”__________Colt 4”___________H&R18”

PMC 98 LRN factory_________687, 13 Sd_______797, 17Sd________945, 16 Sd
    Highest velocity factory load__103 ft-lbs._______138 ft.lbs.________194 ft.-lbs.

Remington 98 LRN factory_____645, 20 Sd_______729, 12 Sd________899, 11 Sd

Western 98 LRN factory (1960s)_643, 19 Sd_______658, 22 Sd________912, 17 Sd

Privi-Partisan 98 LRN_________656, 28 Sd_______675, 11 Sd_________917, 21 Sd

Accurate 31-087T, 2.5 BE_____662, 16 Sd_______780, 22 Sd________1000, 15 Sd

Accurate 31-090B, 2.5 BE_____731, 26 Sd_______773, 11 Sd________1066, 16 Sd

Accurate 31-114D, 2.5 BE____746, 9 Sd________795, 15 Sd________947, 11 Sd
    Max. for pre-1960 revolvers__141ft.-lbs.________160 ft.-lbs.________227 ft.-lbs.
    Accurate in the rook rifle! Shoots to the iron sights at 50 yards in the revolver!
    This one is “it”.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Thanks guys for all the answers and info. Now down to brass tacks, do you guys think these loads would be safe in a .32 H&R revolver? I don’t have quick load, but I hear that isn’t 100% in straight wall cases either. I did a little figuring using a pressure/temp/volume formula in Lee #1 that says the pressure should be a little over 17,000 PSI using a max pressure of 19000 PSI with a 4 grain load in .32 H&R, and figuring a 12.5% reduction in charge and a 14.4% reduction in case volume; but I don’t have a lot of faith in that either.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C5DCF2FF-95DA-4668-B0C4-5752EB4F471B.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	255045

Would I be better just dumping the loads and starting over?

Boolit Grand Master

In the diminutive 32 S&WL cast the seating depth (not oal but the depth of the bullet seated into the case) is of greater concern regarding pressure than is bullet weight. The same holds true for the 32 S&W and the 32 H&R magnum. As and example; I measure the pressures in a Contender barrel via the Oehler m43 PBL. Loaded and tested at the same time with the same lot of Unique (Alliant) 3.5 gr of Unique in the 32 S&W L (R-P cases) with a Lee 90 gr SWC loaded to and crimped in the 1st lube groove gave a pressure measurement of 16,400. The exact same load under a 98 gr cast bullet seated to and crimped in its crimp groove gave a pressure measurement of 15,900 psi. The lighter weight (90 gr) bullet load had more pressure because the bullet was seated deeper into the case than the 98 gr cast bullet.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 01-19-2020 at 11:02 PM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I did find some more info. New load data for .32 S&W Long is is based on SAAMI spec of 15,000 PSI. That probably accounts for the reduced loads in new load data. .32 S&W though, has a SAAMI spec of 17,000 PSI which is strange. Even stranger is that CIP data for .32 S&W Long wadcutters is 22,480 PSI. .32 H&R Magnum is rated at 21,000 PSI.

I’m starting to think that these will probably be safe in a .32 H&R, but I’m still apprehensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    In the diminutive 32 S&WL cast the seating depth (not oal but the depth of the bullet seated into the case) is of greater concern regarding pressure than is bullet weight. The same holds true for the 32 S&W and the 32 H&R magnum. As and example; I measure the pressures in a Contender barrel via the Oehler m43 PBL. Loaded and tested at the same time with the same lot of Unique (Alliant) 3.5 gr of Unique in the 32 S&W (R-P cases) with a Lee 90 gr SWC loaded to and crimped in the 1st lube groove gave a pressure measurement of 16,400. The exact same load under a 98 gr cast bullet seated to and crimped in its crimp groove gave a pressure measurement of 15,900 psi. The lighter weight (90 gr) bullet load had more pressure because the bullet was seated deeper into the case than the 98 gr cast bullet.
    Were those 98 gr cast bullets also seated in 32 S&W cases, or were they seated in S&W Long cases? My bullets are 95 gr cast seated in the crimp groove at 0.25”.

Name:	4ECF2C01-034A-4B01-A140-76CFD92F7359.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	255046

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, they do (the 3.5 grain charge) appear to exceed the 32 Long spec psi as I predicted but reading Larry’s tea leaves left me with the opinion you will be fine. If the 32 Long revolver can use 32 S and W, and they all can, one might presume 17,000 is okay for the Long as well. In your gun you have more latitude than I do.

The deep seated wadcutter CIP pressure spec is to run in the high dollar 32Long autoloading target pistols I suspect. I don’t go that high in my 1919 Colt.

Well, I only made a few of these, and I decided to go ahead and shoot them. After finishing, I went back inside to inspect my gun and the cases. The gun cleaned up, and appeared to still be in good shape. All the cases ejected smoothly; mostly without using the ejector. On closer inspection inside, most of the cases had a slight bulge on the lower 1/4 of the case, and the primers were slightly flattened. I'm guessing they were indeed a little hot.

Boolit Grand Master
    I actually thought you used sound judgement and would opine the loads are fine for your intended use. I am presuming the Undercoverette you shot these in is a 32 H and R.

Boolit Grand Master
    Try this link http://www.lasc.us/FryxellThe32S-WLong.htm

Lots of good info, other than the intro date for the .32 S&W Long. I read it several times while deciding what to load for my first I frame.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Flintstone View Post
    Were those 98 gr cast bullets also seated in 32 S&W cases, or were they seated in S&W Long cases? My bullets are 95 gr cast seated in the crimp groove at 0.25”.

Name:	4ECF2C01-034A-4B01-A140-76CFD92F7359.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	255046
    My bad [I corrected the error], they were loaded in S&W Long cases. Thanks for the catch.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Thanks all who replied and commented. My actual goal was just to make up some “comfortable” loads for plinking. These loads were a little warm for what I actually intended, so I made up some more today using my 95 gr bullets and 2.1 gr Bullseye which is 10% down from the max cowboy load on Alliant’s load data site. These were quite pleasant to shoot, and I can move up later.

Boolit Grand Master
    Depending upon bullet and seating depth that should be in the 650-675 fps range. From a four inch, less from a snubbie.

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Depending upon bullet and seating depth that should be in the 650-675 fps range. From a four inch, less from a snubbie.
    That’s about what I thought. I used the calculator at shootersnotes and it gave me 595 FPS from a 2” revolver. Not much more energy than a .22.

Boolit Grand Master
    That should be pretty close. At the lower levels like this with a 98 odd grain bullet the ammo starts getting sooty when fired and has a fair amount of carbon burn marks on the mouth of the case sometimes.

The 32 Long in some loadings flirts with rather low pressures. Despite its small size of case this compromises shot to shot velocity consistency, so when going mild I often go to a wadcutter to help out in terms of reduced velocity variation.

With a conventional 98 SWC or RN I up the powder charges consistent with not overloading my 96 and 100 year old revolvers. Sort of a fine balancing act. The shallow seated RCBS 98 seems happier, that is less sooty and less variation, when I run it at 775 fps or better.

Following good advice posted here and elsewhere I quit at 850 fps from my four ish inch revolvers in 32 Long with standard 98 RN or SWC. With wadcutters I stop at 750 fps or so.

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    That should be pretty close. At the lower levels like this with a 98 odd grain bullet the ammo starts getting sooty when fired and has a fair amount of carbon burn marks on the mouth of the case sometimes.

The 32 Long in some loadings flirts with rather low pressures. Despite its small size of case this compromises shot to shot velocity consistency, so when going mild I often go to a wadcutter to help out in terms of reduced velocity variation.

With a conventional 98 SWC or RN I up the powder charges consistent with not overloading my 96 and 100 year old revolvers. Sort of a fine balancing act. The shallow seated RCBS 98 seems happier, that is less sooty and less variation, when I run it at 775 fps or better.

Following good advice posted here and elsewhere I quit at 850 fps from my four ish inch revolvers in 32 Long with standard 98 RN or SWC. With wadcutters I stop at 750 fps or so.
    I only shot about ten of these because it was about 16 degrees outside today. They were somewhat sooty down the sides, but there was no unburned powder, and no burn marks. I’ll make sure to notice the rest, and up the load just a tad if need be.

The reason I’m loading these bullets is because I have a ton of them. I plan to order some 77 gr and 85-90 gr bullets when I get a little lower on supply.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am not often plagued with what I would call unburned powder, just soot and sometimes carbon marks around the case mouth if loads are light enough.

Boolit Man
    Very informative... i checked my Charter Arms snub & all it has on the bbl. is Undercoverette .32 & CharterArms Stratford,Conn.on otherside.
    i assume that means .32SWLong ? if so i'm glad i didn't use the Uniqne max load listed in the 45th Lyman Reloading Handbook.
    they show cast bullets of 77 , 84 , 93 , & 115gr.. test gun listed, S&W mdl.30 w/ 3in.bbl..

i see in the notes max charge is for solid frame only... starting loads are for break-top.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast