RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lyman 454112

Boolit Mold

Lyman 454112

Anyone know what this mold was made for? I got it with a Parker Hale Volunteer rifle and was told it’s the proper mold for this rifle. The boolits Mike out to.454 and around 500 grains and will not start down the barrel unless you drive them down I’m not doing that.
    I’m hoping that I can size them to.450 with a push through sizing die. Finding a .451114 Volunteer mold seems to be hard to come by your thoughts gentlemen ��

Boolit Buddy
    No.451112 (later listed as No.454112) was originally listed as suitable for use with .45 caliber Sharps cartridges, and was available in weights from 275 grains to 485 grains, as individually cut moulds for each weight or as an adjustable "Perfection" mould. Early handbooks stated the nose was the same shape as .45 caliber Winchester cartridges... the likes of .45-60, .45-75, .45-90.

Jim

Boolit Mold
    Can I size this Down to load into a Parker Hale Volunteer rifle?

Going to go .002 under the bore diameter?

Boolit Mold
    The bore diameter is.451,I’m Hoping I can size them down to.450 is that going to be too much sizing or do I need to go two below bore diameter?
    This is my first time sizing any boolits . I cast .457 for my 45-70 and do not need to size. All the help you can give me is appreciated.Really need to find the correct mold size 451114 , scares as hair on a frog ��

I too size .001 under bore for lubed lead. My barrel is .458 bore so the boolits get sized .457.
    From what I've read the guys that shoot competition go .002 under bore. I think it helps them avoid stuck boolits.
    Something I've noted with paper patched is that when making up boolits ahead of time the patch increases in thickness with time and .001 just doesn't work out.

On the 451114, once upon a time I had a set of those blocks for the Volunteer rifles. Another forum guy needed that mold so I swapped with him. Seems that Lyman made the molds different diameters with the same numbers on the blocks and he had the big'un. Going off of memory here but it seems there was a suffix added to the number for the smaller diameter for the Volunteer. Someone with probably weigh in on that with the info, to help you from getting a #451114 of the larger diameter.

Boolit Master

Have you looked at NOE and Accurates offerrings? If you have enough bullet data, Accurate could cut one for you.