WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Have a couple holsters that I need to change colors on

Boolit Master

Have a couple holsters that I need to change colors on

Have a few holsters that are both for revolvers and pistols. Both are name brand and finished tan leather. What I would like to do is go from tan to black.Not a lot of money involved with the holsters but they are in excellent condition. What steps would be required to go from tan to black?. Thanks,Frank

If they have an acrylic top coat like a safariland you probably can't. I'm not sure you can remove it. If they have a wax finish it should be easy enough. I'd wipe it with alcohol to remove any wax. Then dip the holster in warm water and apply the dye. The dye is alcohol and water helps it take better. Then dry it in the oven on 150 to set the shape again. Then apply a wax top coat.

Boolit Master

If it is an acrylic finish, try something alittle hotter than alcohol i.e. laquer thinner, acetone, MEK ect. It goes without saying, do this outside away from an open flame source and use gloves. I prefer alcohol dyes over water based for penatration.

Boolit Master

Doubt you will have much success with this. Once the leather is sealed your chance of removing the sealer without damaging the leather are slim.

What have you got? Maybe someone will swap you black for tan. Photos would help. You might have to move the thread (or start a new one) to Swapping & Selling.

Boolit Grand Master
    I tried doing this exact thing almost thirty years ago so I could use a Bianchi Askins Avenger as my carry holster working in the base Armory. It did come out black, but it didn't look good at all.

I recommend trying to trade for what you want, in the color you want.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Tan or brown leather in what ever form is much easier to sell than black ones. I was given a nice Bianchi holster for the Ruger Blackhawk. It was bought brown but the previous owner dyed it black. While it turned out very well, I would much prefer the original brown.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Moderator Emeritus

If you have a shoe repair shop in town, that's the place to get your dye, and take your holster with you. They may have experience with just this sort of thing. These things can be pretty technical, and the solvent you use can make a big difference in the end result. Those with experience always are a good source of advice, and it beats guessing all to pieces!

Boolit Master
    Good thing you mentioned shoe shop. We have a place that does leather work on boots,belts all sorts of leather work. Will stop in when in that area. I was going to use a black dye such as sold by Rit. Put on a couple coats let it dry to see how it comes out then a few more coats. One holster os for a 45 auto and the other is for a 6" barreled S&W most likely a k frame revolver.Cannot at this time
    remember the brand names. Thanks for the shoe shop suggestion.
    Frank

Boolit Grand Master

I had some US Marine black die - I think Freibrings but I'm not sure and did exactly what you are wanting. I've forgotten how I prepped, though!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I have to go our in the afternoon and go right by a place that sells all sorts of work boots,western boost leather belts and will stop in and see what they have. If anyone should kmow how to change colors they sure wood. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    I have to go our in the afternoon and go right by a place that sells all sorts of work boots,western boost leather belts and will stop in and see what they have. If anyone should kmow how to change colors they sure wood. Frank
    I doubt it - they are salesmen, not cordwainers (old word for leatherworker).
    Wayne the Shrink

Thanks for the new old word Wayne.

Boolit Grand Master

(Chuckle) I had to look it up. In my father's side genealogy there were several ancestors who had that listed as their profession .
    Wayne the Shrink