Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Remington model 81 300 Savage

Boolit Bub

Remington model 81 300 Savage

Just picked up this rifle and trying to get a load to cycle the action. I’m using the NOE 165 gr (99 savage bullet) and 19 gr of 2400. It doesn’t cycle the action with this load. Wondering if I should try 311291 with 2400 or the noe bullet with 4895. Help

Worked with the Model 81 in .35 Remington. From that experience loading the action hard and fast is the way to go.
    Before selling the rifle I'd even obtained a .351 mold to cast hard and paper patch. Never did use those blocks but I know it would have worked.

My intentions were to use it on running jacks same as a Winchester '92 chambered in .357, but with flatter reach.

Boolit Master
    For what it's worth, I have a Model 8 in .35 Rem. I use a 158 gr bullet and 21 grs of IMR4227. I have a Winchester Self Loader .401 that I load with a 250 gr. bullet and 22 grs IMR4227. Did you clean and lube the shroud?

Boolit Master
    I had an 81 some years ago. Surprisingly, with that coarse bead front sight, I was able to get good 100 yard groups with cast bullets. Using 2230 powder, it was easy to work up a good load with a linotype RCBS 30-180-FN. Muzzle velocity was a bit more than 1900 fps. Did the same with an NEI 311.155GC (7.62x39 bullet), MV just under 2000 fps. Rifle functioned fine with my loads. I wouldn't use 2230 for very light loads; hangfires may result.

If I worked with such a rifle again, I would try some different powders, including Reloder 7, H4895, and maybe 5744. I would also try softer bullets.