RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 270 Winchester Jacketed Bullets

I appreciate the advice so far.

Okay, Bartlett surplus reloader 15 is my next question. The alliant websight lists it with a 130 grain bullet. My Lyman manual doesn't list it with 130 grainers however. Opinions on this powder are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    I have tried to encourage those kind of guys to reload and they always find some excuse to avoid it.
    Thanks. I feel vindicated.

I help & encourage folks all I can, but have sort of lost patience on some things.
    I've gotten to where I'm not inclined to invest any more time on their interests or pursuits than they are.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

He's been interested in reloading a while but reluctant because he really didn't have any reason to reload. This is his first centerfire hunting rifle I think. I know he had an SKS 10 years ago but ammo was cheap for it. He has a handgun and shoots it occasionally, but an occasional box of 9mm or 38 special is not worth delving into reloading for.

His life is changing, he moved to the country, started getting into hunting. So I have hope he'll give reloading a shot.

Boolit Buddy
    I have tried to encourage those kind of guys to reload and they always find some excuse to avoid it.
    They often put you on the spot by trying to get you to load ammo for them.

I'm not sure about chasing cheaper bullet options but you can find some good value at Shooters pro shop, the nosler outlet. It would be good for your friend to get interested in chasing these options.

Boolit Master

A max load of 48 gr IMR 4064 under the 130 gn ballistic tip is 1/2 moa in my browning abolt. Heavier bullets are all over the place with this powder at appropriate charges.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master
    handloading for saving money is a bad idea
    your better off buying loaded ammo costs to get started will
    give him a good dose of sticker shock
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

We had another discussion about it tonight and he definitely wants to give it a try. We're going to run a couple boxes of 38 special as we both have one and he will not have to buy powder or bullets to test drive and see if he likes it. He's interested for sure because of the cost.

I am one of those rare folks that believes you save money reloading. I shoot more because I reload but I don't shoot so much that I spend more than I would on factory ammo. The only way I could afford to shoot anything other than 22 any reasonable amount is reloading.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 01-19-2020 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gwrench View Post
    I'm not sure about chasing cheaper bullet options but you can find some good value at Shooters pro shop, the nosler outlet. It would be good for your friend to get interested in chasing these options.

I've not heard of that place yet thanks for the heads up. We are just in the beginning of his interest, I'm sure he'll look into the research if he likes reloading and decides to continue. My research was to show him that there is a drastic difference between town prices and surplus and big gun store/online prices.

If I told him, come over with some .277 bullets and a pound of 4064 he would have bought them in town and paid $27 and $32 respectively. The the cost of a box would bout $11 instead of $7. Yes it's a savings but, by showing him the potential savings he's more likely to get started.

Once he gets started he'll likely be hooked.

Boolit Grand Master

Another outlet to watch is Natchez Shooters Supply. Speer 130gr hot-cor are $20, 150gr are $23 a box right now. I bought some 6.5mm Hot Cor bullets awhile back for $12 a box of 100.

Thanks, I forgot about Natchez.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    They often put you on the spot by trying to get you to load ammo for them.

Have a family member who wanted to "learn" how to reload ammo. I walked him through the steps and process. More than once. After a few shooting sessions of handloaded ammo and significant cost savings, he stated he didn't want to learn to load ammo and just have me load all his ammo for him. It was the last time I pulled the press handle for him.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

I won't load any for him. He doesn't have that notion. He wants to learn but needs some encouragement and guidance. I will load 5 when I show him the steps, then I'll tutor him as he loads the next 5. Then the next 40 for his first box. This way he gets a good understanding of how it works.

Moderator Emeritus

Good to see another reloader in the making, and thanks for nurturing him along. FWIW a buddy started loading for the .270 when he was a young teen ager and was afraid to load the slower powders since the charge wts. were so much larger than the medium rate powders. He shot 47 gr. of IMR-4064 with most any 130 gr, bullet, and got stellar accuracy and plenty of velocity, though not the top velocity. It sure killed a lot of deer, and just about all were one shot kills. Truth be told, we don't NEED nearly as much velocity as we LIKE to have. It takes a LOT more velocity to shoot noticably flatter, or hit any harder, than a "middle of the road" load. And heaven knows, reloads are a LOT cheaper .... at least to start with. Being cheaper, it mainly allows most of us to just shoot more for what we were already spending, but that sure helps us become better and more accurate shooters.

Oh! And make SURE he knows to keep his chamber CLEAN! Rem's autos are notorious for tearing the rims off ctg. cases and jamming if the chamber isn't kept scrupulously clean. And it also needs to be a relatively DRY clean, too! Just sloshing a bunch of oil in there is NOT a "shortcut" to getting perfect functioning with an auto. A good chamber brush, like a .50 cal. bore brush, will keep any "fine brown patina" from growing into rust, with a good solvent. Then a little light oil on a patch, run into the chamber, followed by a clean one to get any excess out, will keep that rifle perkin' like a princess!

I think all of us had one or more mentors when we started to get interested in loading our own. This is a pursuit that kind'a requires it really, and I thank you for helping grow our ranks. Ya' done good, bro'! REAL good!

Thanks for the encouragement and advice Blackwater.

I didn't have a mentor. There once was another forum I attended and I asked some of those newbie questions such as what's the best press and where do I start. That's one reason I try to answer those kind of questions here. Mostly I've learned here and by reading voraciously on the subject and by doing.

I understand how overwealming it can be by yourself and with a nervous wife. That's one reason I'm going out of my way for my friend.

It would be nice to have a friend that reloads.

You're being a good friend! I'm glad you will help him out.

Natchez does have some good deals. Here's a link to the nosler outlet to compare. Their blems have always worked fine for me.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/

Boolit Master
    A big 10+ for Shooters Pro Shop!

I find getting shooters into handloading is like trying to push a rope! If a person wants to they will “pull” themselves in. Pushing leads to frustration.

I began with no mentor what so ever in 1975 at the ripe old age of 19 years old and would not have traded a minute of it. No internet yet, just magazines and books.

I have two nephews that their dad (my brother) has bought the entire reloading set up from a late best friend’s estate for them. The oldest seemed to really run with it but lately has sputtered out for now. I think he will come around when he finishes now 4th year in college. His younger brother has the bug to get his 22-250 shooting tight and I think he might surprise me and end being my most devoted student.

A family friend nearing retirement from the education field has been bumbling along but he is laying in equipment so I think the ‘ole hook is set with him. Once he is retired this spring I think I will have him in the loop.

It gets frustrating but that is the way it is.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

Yeah, I can’t count the number of times someone has asked me to load for them. Tell ‘me I can’t but will teach them how. Zero takers so far.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12