Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 270 Winchester Jacketed Bullets

270 Winchester Jacketed Bullets

So my buddy got a Remington 7400 in 270 winchester caliber and we're thinking on reloading for it. He does not reload, so I'm going to get him started using my equipment.

The driving force for him is cost. My figuring shows, just under $7 a box using Bartlett 7383 surplus powder and speer hotcor bullets.

Will this powder cycle his action acceptably?

Other cheap powders I should consider?

Is there any cheaper bullets available for practice?

Thanks,

Bazoo

Boolit Master

I use 4064 in my 270 Win for Jacketed loads.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    I use 4064 in my 270 Win for Jacketed loads.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I second 4064 as a great mid range powder for the large rifle calibers. As far as your specific load I am not of much help, sorry!

For the difference of 6-7 cents or so each, I'd leave 'cheap' out of the equation and get what's best.
    Make up for it by buying cheap beer or something.

In my Rem700, 4064 did good.
    My favorite was 4350, slightly under max in the Nosler book, and their 150s.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Cheap is the only reason he's willing to give it a shot. He's on the fence about loading. I finally convinced him it was worth trying and I want to give him the cheapest options, as well as the better options. Now, if he gets hooked on shooting more than just to sight in before hunting, he'll be more forthcoming with the ole checkbook.

Also his time is at a premium, so if he is only going to save a couple dollars a box he'll just shoot the occasional box of factory ammo.

I know 4064 is good stuff. 760 is about the cheapest commercial powder that's suitable according to my research, and I've included that option.

His only investment so far is a set of dies. I have everything else. He was given this rifle by some folks at his church after word got around he didn't have one. He deer hunted with a shotgun.

Boolit Buddy
    Cheap is not going to be the final statement about the worth of this rifle. Like any gun, this may be one that shoots good with any powder you select. OTOH, it may be the most finicky thing you've loaded for in years. You have the background necessary to explain to your friend that sometimes you chase an excellent load and never find what the gun loves. Other times you land on THE load with your 1st or 2nd try.

I am one of the .270 fans here- I've owned several different ones and have 3 now. I always start with H4831, then try a little slower and a little faster powder. I have never owned or shot a .270 that didn't shoot good or better than good with H4831. I've gotten excellent results with IMR4350 too but it can be iffy depending on bullet weight. H4831 doesn't care what bullet you use.

Whatever you do, just keep it fun for the guy!

Good luck!

Boolit Master
    Your 7400 will do nicely with 4064 powder. I like this powder for the daughter's 742 in 30'06. The medium burning rate will be kinder to your self-loader than will a slower powder like 4350 or 4831. When the Garand rifles were first being built and tested the gov't found these rifles generated bent operating rods from the slow powders loaded in G.I. 30'06 ammo, thus we got a designer powder titled 4895. Medium speed powder, no more bent operating rods, all went well. 4895 and 4064 are about the same burning rate, but 4064 shows an accuracy edge. Perhaps that is how it has become known as the "Camp Perry" powder.

Once you get hooked on the 270 caliber, buy a bolt action rifle and then a pound of H4831SC (short cut) powder. This powder meters nicely and gives me the best accuracy at top speed this caliber will provide. I like it and the deer hate it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Make up for it by buying cheap beer or something.
    All of your suggestions were good until you got to this! That just ain't right!

You can load over 100 270's with a pound of powder. I figure $3 for primers, $27 for a pound of powder and $30 for a box of bullets. So, lets say $60 per 100 cartridges or $12 per box of 20. Judicious shopping can beat those prices. I don't know what a box of 270"s sells for?

I would go with something that has been proven to be successful. 4064, 4831, ect. I probably would choose 4064 for an auto loader.

Boolit Buddy
    Check Midway for blems if you want to get a good deal on bullets.I agree with the others on the 4350 being good powder for the 270.I have used the Hybrid 100v as well as H414,which is the same as W760 it does not fill the case as well as stick .I use mag primers for all my 270 loads,but it is not necessary for stick.

Never use slow burning powder in a gas gun. Shoot a “control” group with factory ammo first. If the reloads function correctly and group better; you got him hooked. The Remington autos are mainly used by people who only buy a box of ammo every few years IME. Good luck with it; I hope you create a monster!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Never use slow burning powder in a gas gun. Shoot a “control” group with factory ammo first. If the reloads function correctly and group better; you got him hooked. The Remington autos are mainly used by people who only buy a box of ammo every few years IME. Good luck with it; I hope you create a monster!
    I forgot he was loading for a 7400.I have only loaded for bolts

Thanks for the help. I'll choose a faster powder. I am considering trying 7383 powder for my 30-06 but it's a bolt gun.

A box of 270 in town is $17. I'm figuring about $11 with 760 powder. We arent into drinking, so we're already at max savings in that department.

Moderator Emeritus

A deer hunting rifle might be shot 5 times a year if you go with a 3 shot zero verification. If he isn't currently a target shooter a Rem 7400 will not turn him into one.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Thanks for the help. I'll choose a faster powder. I am considering trying 7383 powder for my 30-06 but it's a bolt gun.

A box of 270 in town is $17. I'm figuring about $11 with 760 powder. We arent into drinking, so we're already at max savings in that department.
    760/414 is still about as slow as 4350,and while it may be a hair less expensive per pound than IMR 4064 you will use more of it per round.If you do use 760 I would also use Mag Primers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Bazoo, 50.0/IMR7383 (that's a case full to the bottom of the neck) runs 2395 fps in 30-06 with a 168 BTHP in several bolts guns tested. ES and SD is extremely low and consistent. Plenty of old threads on the powder. Thing to remember is do not compress it, it gets pressure spikey. BTW, this load combination prints really nice, small patterns.

Interesting side note, when shot in low light/dark the muzzle flash is extremely small and dull orange.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Thanks for the info sundog. I did some research on 7383 but I didn't consider the gas system. I will at least research it's use in semi autos before I abandon it altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    A deer hunting rifle might be shot 5 times a year if you go with a 3 shot zero verification. If he isn't currently a target shooter a Rem 7400 will not turn him into one.
    True true. He isn't a very good shot, but he's wanting to be. The 870 is his shotgun of choice so the 7400 plays into that. I'm hoping this will open the door to other options.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 01-18-2020 at 06:47 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Gift him a box blems and a pack of primers. Let him get a pound of good powder and he will get the bug for inexpensive (not cheap) fodder for his smoke pole. Take the advice above and go for it. I use 4320 to extraordinarily good success with a 130 grain second from Midway.

Boolit Master

I load with 4350, but it was only in bolt guns
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    I have tried to encourage those kind of guys to reload and they always find some excuse to avoid it.
    EDG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast