Inline FabricationRotoMetals2ADvertise hereTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxLee Precision

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone ever had success with Starline brass for 309 JDJ?

Here is some Remington brass that's in stock. It's about $0.77 per piece.

https://www.precisionreloading.com/c...!l=RM&i=R23269

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    If I do end up with cases with lube dimples, will they shoot out ok?
    They will iron out on the first firing, but will soon split at that location.

Boolit Master
    Boy, forming brass is a heck of an undertaking. The few hundred fps loss of 30-30 is starting to look pretty good. Fingers crossed the 358 dies help. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Ok, we might have something. I got the 358 Winchester dies today. Oddly the brass splits even worse with the 358 sizing die. I took the Tempilaq, put a dab inside the neck, and found about 9 seconds to be ideal under a light torch flame while spinning in the drill. I even grabbed the bottom of the case, and it was not at all hot, barely warm. I only did 5 as a test. After that I slowly worked them into the 358 Winchester sizing die as leadman describes. In and out 10 or so times, I even rotated the case for good measure. I got all 5 sized nice. Then I ran them slowly again into the 308 Winchester die. All 5 came out perfect finally. No wrinkles, no splits, no lube dents. I'll do another 25 tomorrow, anneal again, then try shooting them, followed by a final annealing.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Boolit Buddy
    Glad to hear of your success
    Doesn't seem so bad now that you've got things under control does it .
    Carry on and have fun .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redneck1 View Post
    Glad to hear of your success
    Doesn't seem so bad now that you've got things under control does it .
    Carry on and have fun .
    Well... the case forming isn't as daunting now that everything is set up. I successfully fired a dozen cases today, and they fire formed nicely. The load was 38.5 grains RX15 and a 180 grain bullet (Saeco 315 clone). It shot good too.

The contender though... not as much. I had just finally got it back from TC, as the barrel did not fit. All seemed well. As I was shooting 1 out of 3 I couldn't pull the trigger back enough. Not a huge deal, but I didn't have an allen wrench small enough. I fought through it, and managed to shoot 7 rounds into 2" at 100 yards. Once I got home, I went to adjust the trigger over travel. Well after adjusting it I went to pull the hammer back, and snap. The hammer spur broke clean off.

This was my very first contender, and it's probably going to be my last. I'm at my wits end. Just an over engineered piece of junk.

Anyway, sorry about the frustration. Thank you for helping me through my first wildcat cartridge. This was my very first time seriously forming cases, and my first time annealing brass. That part went well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12