RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading

Thread: New Henry 45-70 Lever Action

Boolit Master

New Henry 45-70 Lever Action

I bought the steel and not brassite receiver version. It is a beautiful rifle. When loading the magazine and then pushing down the tube, the lever would open. Sometimes a round would enter the action. Sometimes one would become stuck in the magazine. Henry is paying the freight back to them, and I look forward to receiving it. Has anyone here experienced the same problem?

I'm sorry to hear another story about unreliable Henry rifles. I hope they fix it to your satisfaction.

I bought my dad one for Christmas. The brass frame wildlife edition in 45-70. Have yet to shoot it... Hopefully it goes good.

Boolit Master
    It most likely will.

Thinking about my rifle's problem, the method of loading may be the problem because once the shells are dropped into the magazine, the spring loaded tube must be pushed down on top of the column of ammo. This force opens the action. I wonder if a stronger plunger tube spring might aid in locking the lever in its closed position?

Moderator Emeritus

Got a case colored 357 carbine....it is great.....my groups are not the greatest yet as I seldom shoot a long gun without a scope....working on it.....but I do love it and it functions perfectly!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by lightload View Post
    It most likely will.

Thinking about my rifle's problem, the method of loading may be the problem because once the shells are dropped into the magazine, the spring loaded tube must be pushed down on top of the column of ammo. This force opens the action. I wonder if a stronger plunger tube spring might aid in locking the lever in its closed position?
    If you mean the bevel-faced plunger and spring in the trigger guard area of the lever that latches against a cross pin in the receiver, then yes it should. The spring may be weak or the face of the plunger angled incorrectly.

Incidentally, if you are looking for information about how your Henry action works, just look for the same information for a Marlin 336. The Henry action is a reverse-engineered copy of the Marlin, with a transfer bar safety added to the hammer.

Boolit Master
    My 357 did that after a few rounds through the gun it went away so I thinking a burr or something along those lines.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    I'm sorry to hear another story about unreliable Henry rifles. I hope they fix it to your satisfaction.
    Well if we are keeping score I bet remains got em beat

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    Well if we are keeping score I bet remains got em beat
    I don't know what this means.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    I don't know what this means.
    ?I think he means, “Remlins”

Ahhh.

Boolit Master
    Today I received my Henry 45-70 back from The Wisconsin factory They shipped it back on the 3rd day. They replaced the lever, adjusted the lockup, and replaced the tube interior. They may have lubed the interior because it moves with less friction. Rifle functions properly.

Boolit Grand Master

It does not matter what brand of mechanical item you buy... There will always be some that are not quit right.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Had my steel Henry 45/70 a few years, love it, never even a teenie tiny problem so far. I have mine scoped with 1 - 4 x 20 Leupold. It is quite accurate. It does very well with several 405 gr mouse fart loads. The higher end of those are plenty for deer at reasonable range. No kick! I think you will really like it. I sold my Marlins, got tired of pinched fingers loading them. Just me. Have a great time getting to know Henry.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Master
    I will use a 405 grain bullet because it seems that this weight is accurate. Further, I will select one lower end velocity combination that would serve well for deer and hogs out to 100 yards. And I will plink with the same combination. Age and eyesight dictate that I scope the rifle with a shotgun style scope. Gumbo's Leupold is ideal.