Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Need some help with 32 H&R

Need some help with 32 H&R

I’ve looked over all my manuals, and I can’t find data for .32 H&R with 98-100 gr cast bullets. I’ve ordered a Lyman’s Cast Bullet Handbook #4 which is supposed to have this data, but it won’t be here until next week, and I wanted to load some this weekend.

Can someone who has it, check to see if it really does have 98 gr cast data for .32 H&R, and maybe post back with data for Bullseye, Unique, Titegroup, 231/HP-38, etc..., or maybe a pic of the page. I have a variety of powders, but no data.

Boolit Grand Master

Hodgdon has bunch of data for both 90 and 100 grain bullets. Even for 231 powder.

Boolit Master

3.5 grs of Unique is a good load with those boolits!
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

I have 3.5 of HP-38 or Green Dot as an accurate load. Depends what you're shooting it out of. Mine's a Ruger SS.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Hodgdon has bunch of data for both 90 and 100 grain bullets. Even for 231 powder.
    Their 100 grain bullets are jacketed hollow points. I’m not sure that will work. I may be able to make the 90 gr cast data work.

Boolit Buddy
    I can't copy the page for you, but Lyman's #4 offers the following loads for a Saeco 100 grain cast boolit:
    Titegroup: 1.9 to 2.2 grains.
    Bullseye: 1.8 to 2.1 grains.
    Unique: 2.3 to 2.7.
    W231: 2.1 to 2.5. That ought to be enough to get you started.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk Daddy View Post
    I can't copy the page for you, but Lyman's #4 offers the following loads for a Saeco 100 grain cast boolit:
    Titegroup: 1.9 to 2.2 grains.
    Bullseye: 1.8 to 2.1 grains.
    Unique: 2.3 to 2.7.
    W231: 2.1 to 2.5. That ought to be enough to get you started.
    Are you sure that isn't 32 S&W Long? That looks awful light for 32 H&R.

Boolit Buddy
    Nope, that's 32 Mag and I'm quoting chapter and verse. But you made me look at 32 S&W Long and I see this:
    Bullseye 2.1 to 2.4.
    Unique 2.2 to 2.6.
    231 2.2 to 2.6.
    Why would Lyman offer smaller loads for the longer magnum case than the old 32 Long? I have no idea. Are they afraid of the H&R revolvers? Weren't some of them in 32 Long also? I have no answer.
    And that's all with the same boolit, the Saeco #326 @100 grains.

My cast bullet manual #4 has the same anemic information. OP what kind of gun are you shooting these from? Checkout the website, the reloading pages of m.d. smith. This information is more inline with what I am using in my modern ruger.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master

Performance of the 32 H&R is enhanced well above the SAAMI MAP for the cartridge considerably in steel revolvers other than the original H&R revolvers. With the older H&R revolvers you'll want to stick with published data that does not exceed the SAAMI MAP. With modern made revolvers such as the S&W and Ruger 32 H&Rs the performance can be much improved.

Now please, before we hear the sky is falling, the world will come to an end and the firearm will explode, etc. if we load a cartridge above the SAAMI map let us hear from the OP and to what level and for what purpose he will load whatever 32 H&R magnum firearm he has. Keep in mind we discuss and post on this forum all the time so called "hotter" loads for the 32 S&WL, the 32 H&R, the 38 SPL, the 44-40, the 45 Colts, the 45-70, etc. I'm not talking about dangerous loads but proven safe loads (proven because I have measured the pressure of them) for the 32 H&R Magnum in modern revolvers and SSs.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I’m loading these for a Charter Arms Undercoverette. Since I posted, I may have found my own answer in an old pdf of Lee Modern Reloading #1 at archive.org. I suppose they may also be in Lee #2.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9F534040-4DB6-4723-B588-EB30E0AC6EE3.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	255267
    These match with the numbers at M. D. Smith’s page a lot better than the ones posted above from Cast Bullet Handbook #4. It also has 98 gr lead .32 S&W Long Bullseye @ 1.6-1.8 gr, and Unique @ 2.5-2.7 gr. Could CBH #4 have the data reversed for .32 SWL and .32 H&R? It wouldn’t be unheard of.