RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you Organize Your Bullets and Brass?

Boolit Master

Brass goes in clear snack jars or Zip lock bags.
    Boolits go in metal cookie or candy cans with lids.
    Lubed and sized boolits are stacked on end with layers of light cardboard between layers.
    All containers are clearly marked as to contents, alloy, diameter they are sized, etc...dale

Boolit Bub
    I started off using coffee cans. The problem I have with them is they are round, so stacking and all is inefficient, and you can't see through them.

Now I used either pencil boxes for brass I don't have a lot of and dishwasher pod containers (I work at a FD, so I snag them as we empty them at the stations) for those I have more of. The more rectangular shape makes it easier and more efficient to stack them under the bench.

I'm just getting ready to get into the casting, so I don't have a method just yet for storage of boolits other than in the boxes I receive them in. However, I'm looking at the hanging bins (like for screws and such in the store) to store them in. A guy can get a cheap wall-mount set at Harbor Freight that should do the job. I have one I'm using behind the bench to store parts and such.

Boolit Buddy
    Empty coffee plastic cans. Maxwell House as a matter of fact. Mark the lid with caliber, weight, and mold number in paint market on the lid.

Empty brass gets a similar treatment. Expect I use empty All laundry detergent containers. Same shape but twice as tall. .45ACP Brass or whatever on the container and where I’m at with the brass on a note inside. Dirty, Cleaned, deprimed and sized, or whatever, so that in a month I know where I left off.

Boolit Master
    Dirty high volume brass in kitty litter pails, low volume brass in plastic ammo cans. Cleaned brass in 50 cal ammo cans, all neatly labeled. I have maybe 150 cans of clean brass, and currently feel short on 9mm.

Loaded ammo also goes into ammo cans. I have many plastic ammo boxes, but onlybuse them when doing load development.

Bullets are a disaster, mostly in ziplocks on shelves arranged roughly by caliber.

Banned

I keep my brass in plastic Hefty containers from WalMart, I think I bought 3 for about 5 bucks or so. These are stacked on the floor under the shelves of military ammo cans holding my loaded ammo. My cast bullets are stored on the back of my bench in Christmas tins I got at the local Salvation Army store for a couple bucks apiece. i also have another large plastic bin under my bench with extra brass in it. Then I have a bin with interlocking tops, that I bought at a local flea market, under the bench with my range police brass.

Boolit Master

Wow, I guess I do have a 'system.' Like others, plastic coffee containers for pistol. Each can hold 500 rounds, in 50 round ziploc baggies, and a printout of date/boolit/powder. Some are in fold up 50 round cardboard boxes, reminiscent of WWII 45 ACP boxes. I used to get reproduction boxes from Midway 30 years ago. Since then, I have made similar boxes from cereal or frozen pizza boxes. Turn them inside out and they are plain brown wrapper-ish. I used a stencil for caliber marking but they generally can fit so many boxes inside larger cardboard boxes.

223 are stored on stripper clips which fit perfectly into 2 3/4" shot shell boxes, 130 rounds per box, plain white from Midway. I also made some boxes that are similar to the fold up 45 boxes and hold 40 rounds on stripper clips. Oddly, a 'Zest' soap bar box was the template and yes, there are some zest boxes with 40 rounds. Those get sealed with a printed label as an indicator of boolit (or bullet) and load.

308 W I made some boxes for those as well, also 40 rounds. It seems 40 rounds is a good range day for rifle unless I have a lot of tin cans to kill. I also have some 30-06 in boxes, but don't shoot that as much as it is my dad's rifle and it get's babied. Plus, the '06 shoots so well and I am working on a dialed in cast load for the 308 in a newer rifle.

I do have several thousand rounds of 40 S&W in factory boxes collected at the range at work before I retired. Right now I know I have 3k loaded with lubed lead that I plan on shooting and reloading with powder coated lead, and probably a case of 45 ACP that needs the same treatment. It seems the only time I shoot the 1911 is when my brother and I go 'old school' and just take the 1911s and M1As to the range. Good times. In the near future, we are planning on just 38/357 revolvers and 41 magnums.

Too many calibers and weapons so we have gotten to where we plan ahead just to take certain guns/calibers for a range day. Heck, the shotguns sit idle quite a bit. We've been shooting more buckshot since I started casting .32 (with a single cavity mold) rather than shooting factory. I need some new hulls to use with some special wads for 69 caliber round ball instead of slugs.

Brass gets collected at the range and tossed mostly in one container. I generally sort when de-priming prior to washing, sizing and tumbling. Often, range trips with handguns are not mixed calibers, mostly 9mm. My wife has picked up roughly 15k pieces of range brass and so I started shooting it more. I bought drop in barrels for our Glock 40 S&W pistols and built a few AR 15 rifles and pistols also in 9mm. Once the brass is ready, I feel compelled to top the empties off which means I cast as needed. Casting is usually during baseball season as I love having a game in the background.

I've got 2 coffee cans full of recent range empties, I guess it is time to top them off. Fresh loads get placed into coffee containers, stacked in the bottom and the back, and the stock rotated as necessary. I feel an itch needing a scratch and spring training is right around the corner.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Dirty brass is sorted into Folgers 48oz plastic containers with white paint pen marked on top (45 D [dirty], 45 C) then they are cleaned and reloaded and then placed into Zip-Lock Bags in batches of 100 and stored in the ammo locker.

Boolit Master

Newest stuff is usually on/near the top of the piles. Older I dig for.

Boolit Master
    Organized!?! Some of you guys scare me. I'm with RockRat.

Banned
    I use 2# planters peanut square plastic screw-top containers for storing boolits and immediate use brass,
    I use larger plastic bins and large zipper bags for long term/bulk storage.

these are all prepped for loading. And the boolits are all coated and sized.

everything is labeled. I started using SFRB's but ---- I LOVE Planters Honey roasted peanuts and the square see-through plastic bottles work great. I've built 4 shelf units and have a 5th cut-out and ready for assembly.

Moderator Emeritus

Organize implies skills my wife of 40+ years will testify I do not have.
    Rifle brass is kept in boxes or gallon zip locks, pistol brass in Costco almond plastic jars.
    Small lots are kept in an old file drawer, large ones on a shelf, boxed and labelled.
    Bullets are kept in baggies, boxed by caliber, dated in the garage if not lubed. If lubed they are in a room where the temp varies between 60-75F.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Brass - plastic shoe boxes from Wally World, they will hold around 250 full size rifle up to around 2000 small pistol (9x19) cases. I have them separated into primed and unprimed for each caliber.

Bullets (cast) - plastic protein powder cans, from Wally World. Each can is about 1.5 gallons and will hold more cast bullets than I like to carry around.

Loaded ammo - USGI ammo cans, or for handguns I use plastic quart ice cream containers. They will hold 250 to 1000 loaded rounds depending on caliber, and weigh about as much as I like to carry to the range.

I print Avery laser labels and use them to label all types of containers. Ammo containers have load data printed on the labels, so I know the .223 I just put in the SUV is my 77 gr 24.0 RL 15 match loads, not my 52 gr with Alliant Varmint practice loads. I found out the hard way the 52 gr practice loads are not good for 600 yd slow prone.
    Last edited by goryshaw; 01-23-2020 at 10:53 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12