Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: So I got the Kuhnhausen S&W revolver book...

Boolit Master

So I got the Kuhnhausen S&W revolver book...

...and after around fifty pages I had found something to fix in each and every revolver I have.

This is excellent read for everyone who is interested in proper maintenance,learning and general understanding of S&W revolvers.

I didn't know my M14 had .001 yoke endshake and that is too much. Now I know that my 66 has been "hollywoodized" and has a bent yoke plus something else. Etc etc basic things that need to get fixed.

I want to learn and I need to learn,we don't really have revolver smiths in Finland any more. We have ONE shop that has some S&W parts in stock ,they say on their pages that "last ones going,no new parts will be ordered". Revolvers are yesterday for many.

So revolvers are really "out" here. I went through my Glock & Sig phase, nothing wrong with them but I rather spend my range time with revolvers now. I got mentally back home with them,silhouettes,bullseye - and yes timed practise,too but not serious IPSC any more.

I have no illusions of becoming a gunsmith overnight at 57 years by reading one book and buying some tools. But I have stripped and re-assebled a few since the 90's,done all kinds poor man's gunsmithing. Got machinists and "smiths" of various levels to talk to.

I will not buy a chinese lathe but I will shop Brownells quite a bit. I have a goal,to be able to re-cut a forcing cone with hand tools one day.

Boolit Master
    I've got that one and his two1911 books. Fantastic stuff and quite amazing to be honest!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    People who are good mechanics and good, clear writers are rare indeed. I have several Kuhnhausen books. Even if you don’t plan on doing the work yourself, they are valuable for understanding what is wrong, what is needed, and what is to be done by your gunsmith or repair center.

Boolit Master
    Not trying to one up you. My brother went to the smith wesson armorer school and when he passed I got his tools. I also have that book and it has helped me many times to figure out what the tools are and how to use them. Brings back a lot of good memories,thanks Petander
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    Those books are invaluable to folks who want to understand the mechanics of a firearm,, AND if they wish,, work on them. But,, they can also show you when NOT to work on one & seek out someone more educated in them.
    I too highly recommend them.

Boolit Master
    I got that book too , plus several others on rifles and pistols.
    They make it way easier to explain to others what is wrong with their guns.

I also have that excellent book, earlier printing. Used the information to change a bulged barrel in a 629 last year.
    Fred in Montana rents the hand tools you will need to re-cut forcing cone. You are still going need a lathe. frump

Banned
    Technical manuals are worth their weight in gold.

Knowing how to do something is important. Knowing what you shouldn't do is more important.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by frumplepigskin View Post
    You are still going need a lathe. frump

I may try this. Or a machinist friend's help to remove material... there are LOTS of chinese lathes for 1-3 k € but all the reviews say "do not touch". Especially bad for accuracy work,they say.

Banned
    Setting a barrel back is a pretty major job. The jig above is only one of many tools needed to do that job.
    I addition to facing the shoulder you will likely need to face the breach end of the barrel to set the B/C gap and re-cut the forcing cone. And you also need the barrel vise and action wrench to remove the barrel from the frame to start with.

Unless you do that job a lot, you're better off paying someone else to do the work.

Boolit Master

Something else to buy!!!!
    Got to learn somehow.
    Midway sells them, I will be getting a couple, three or four!

Banned
    I can't speak for the market in Finland but here in the U.S.A. once you buy the barrel vise, action wrench, jig to set the shoulder back, cutters and pilots to re-cut the breach face and forcing cone.....You can pay someone else to do 2 or three revolvers.

Now, the jig is less expensive than a lathe and if you're going to do more than a couple of guns; it might be entirely worth the cost of the tools.

Boolit Master
    Yes I'm aware of the tools needed. I'm getting them one by one,they are a good long time investment.

Revolver gunsmiths are either retired or dead around here. Revolver sales are zero, young smiths are not experienced,neither interested - and don't have the tools. I would have to translate and explain everything.

In addition to basic S&W maintenance, there are many things I'm interested in,like different forcing cone angles or trying a Taylor throat.

Gunsmithing is more like a hobby for me. Hobbies cost money : and revolvers are "outdated" and can be had for surprisingly low prices now. It's both our gun laws and fashion.

Maybe it's the time for a little shop now. I've always said that if I had a real job it would be a gunsmith. But I became a songwriter by accident,now I'm cutting down my studio time,enjoying other aspects of life.

Banned
    Sounds like you have a good plan !

Boolit Master
    Good smiths and pistole smiths are getting rare in the us . I use to have three or four very good smiths in a 60 miles of me. There now all retired or have died . All the new smiths around now only want to do ar stuff

Boolit Master
    Have a police turn in 870 pump that had a great big burr on the receiver where the barrel extension is. The manual said the burr was caused by not making sure the mag tube cap/barrel nut not being fully tightened and then shot. The barrel and bolt would recoil back against the milled section of the frame. Explained how to remove the burr and I literally stoned it down. Polished with the finer grades of silicon carbide paper and polished with my dremel.
    Feeds and extracts like my older 870 that I bought in the early
    80's. I probably have most of his manuals and there are worth their weight in gold. You can have all the tools in the world, but unless there is a manual or instructions you cause more damage than the original problem. So if I can offer any help to the OP than I say go for it in your quest to correct your revolvers problems. I know of only one gunsmith who does revolver and pistol work locally. And he builds 50 BMG bolt guns as well as custom rifles. I know he does good work. Forget about the guy at the local gun shows who does trigger jobs. Probably screwed up more firearms than carter has pills. Frank

Boolit Master
    A Brownells package came.

Got the strange tiny little Mod 14 yoke endshake fixed. Everything measures great now,a very clean gun from -72.

I also confirmed Mod 66 bent crane,this gun has been "hollywoodized" by a smart guy:

Boolit Master