Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winchester 1886 Project Finished.

Well I like it, so if you do too, it's all good!

Kev18 I sent you a PM ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    Kev18 I sent you a PM ...
    Didn't get anything...?

Funny, it doesn't show in my "sent" box either. I'll try again!
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    Well people here told me to go with chiappa. And they were right. A complete drop in fit. It's the only thing out of everything I changed that I didn't need to touch or modify at all. Factory spec parts.
    Thanks ! I was the people, or one of them at least, .........good to know that the story about Chiappa fitting originals was true.

If you ever want to replace or modify a magazine tube - can buy the 19mm steel curtain rod in homeware stores - its chinese make downunder - but EXACT outside diameter for a swap - thinner wall, and the plastic finish takes some work (or an oxytorch) to get it off - but fits the rings like an original.

Boolit Master
    You could always take a pair of pliers and a piece of leather for padding and squish the front sling hook a bit
    to reduce/eliminate the chance of the front sling hook coming unhooked at the worst possible time
    (i.e. 15 ft up in a tree stand, gun barrel lands first and sticks in mud

On the shoe leather lace on the lever, looks good.
    However, I'm not sure if a leather shoe lace is vegetable tanned or chrome tanned.
    I would guess its chrome tanned. I think its cheaper and holds color better, and that would make sense for shoes.

Leather for holsters is veg tanned and is used because it won't cause rust on steel.
    (yes even veg tanned leather will eventually draw moisture and thus could induce steel to start to rust.)
    Chrome tanned leather is tanned with chromium salts and will definitely rust steel.
    Even if its veg tanned I would put some melted beeswax on it (or 50/50 beeswax/olive oil)
    so that it won't absorb moisture and facilitate rust, I know there is lots of snow and rain in Quebec

I'm sure someone on here will chime in and say if leather shoe laces are veg or chrome tanned.
    Last edited by edp2k; 01-19-2020 at 04:56 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Good read on the different leather types here https://www.worldofleathers.com/leat...ather-process/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Thanks ! I was the people, or one of them at least, .........good to know that the story about Chiappa fitting originals was true.

If you ever want to replace or modify a magazine tube - can buy the 19mm steel curtain rod in homeware stores - its chinese make downunder - but EXACT outside diameter for a swap - thinner wall, and the plastic finish takes some work (or an oxytorch) to get it off - but fits the rings like an original.
    Thought about it but Id need to cut a dovetail in the barrel for the front mount. I dont mind a short mag.

Quote Originally Posted by edp2k View Post
    You could always take a pair of pliers and a piece of leather for padding and squish the front sling hook a bit
    to reduce/eliminate the chance of the front sling hook coming unhooked at the worst possible time
    (i.e. 15 ft up in a tree stand, gun barrel lands first and sticks in mud

On the shoe leather lace on the lever, looks good.
    However, I'm not sure if a leather shoe lace is vegetable tanned or chrome tanned.
    I would guess its chrome tanned. I think its cheaper and holds color better, and that would make sense for shoes.

Leather for holsters is veg tanned and is used because it won't cause rust on steel.
    (yes even veg tanned leather will eventually draw moisture and thus could induce steel to start to rust.)
    Chrome tanned leather is tanned with chromium salts and will definitely rust steel.
    Even if its veg tanned I would put some melted beeswax on it (or 50/50 beeswax/olive oil)
    so that it won't absorb moisture and facilitate rust, I know there is lots of snow and rain in Quebec

I'm sure someone on here will chime in and say if leather shoe laces are veg or chrome tanned.
    It's not a show lace. Its an actual leather strip. Got it in a bag of scraps I buy at tandy leather. There's massive pieces of leather in those bags so its worth it. Some Strips are 4 feet long.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    Thought about it but Id need to cut a dovetail in the barrel for the front mount. I dont mind a short mag.
    just a bit of info to file away - you might find another bargain

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    just a bit of info to file away - you might find another bargain
    Bargains rarely happen these days

Looks like a very good job done.
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

This is crazy, but I was looking at barrels for it... Its around 800$ US for a barrel. If id ever win the lottery I would get one done, a short 22 inch carbine version. I would be able to crank up the fps abit to make hotter loads, not that I need to but I could
    There is a picture floating around of my rifle, just with a cut down barrel and it looks awesome!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12