RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Screwdrivers for S&W revolvers?

Boolit Master
    I bought from Brownells their master set of bits and a few extra handles of different lengths. Prior to that I had a couple sets of "Chapman" bits and handle and always kept one set in my shooting kit. I lietrally cring when I see someone at the range whip out any old screwdriver and commence to winding in or out action screws or scope ring screws. Nowadays good allen wrenches and tourx bits are on scope ring screws and action screws. Bondhux and Brownells sells both. Frank

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I use the Brownells handles and bits. I have the short handle, mid length, and standard. The bits I have found to be decent quality. What I normally do is fit a set of bits to a gun and use that set for that gun type.
    I have a couple sets of the Chapman kits. Each set comes with instructions to do exactly as Love Life suggested. Buy multiple sets of replacement bits, and customize them to your needs.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Grand Master

I bought a set of the Pachmayr gunsmith screw drivers years ago, they are better than hardware screw drivers, but not much. I would say the hardening was inconsistent with bit tips breaking off while others bent. I replaced them with the small set of WHEELER from Midway, much better quality, work just fine for a hobbiest like me.
    Charter Member #148

Petander, take the advice of someone that has buggered more screws than I care to admit, buy the Forster set. They fit, period, and they last a loooong time if you take care of them. The are not cheap, but good tools are not cheap and cheap tools are not good. Buy once, cry once.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Petander, take the advice of someone that has buggered more screws than I care to admit, buy the Forster set. They fit, period. . . .
    I don't doubt that Forster screwdrivers may be as good as Grace, but screwdrivers don't "fit, period." They have to be ground to fit. For example, earlier in this thread I recommended the Grace P4 & P5 drivers for S&W revolvers. I failed to mention, because I thought everybody knew, that they are close but require tweaking. The P5 is a little too wide for the S&W yoke screw. It only takes seconds to shave the sides, but they don't fit without some help.
    Last edited by Tatume; 01-24-2020 at 08:01 AM.

Boolit Master
    Yes I got the Forster set for now. #3 fits mid 66 yoke screw very well.

Knowing myself,one set won't be enough because it's always in a wrong place.

Boolit Master
    For the cylinder latch screw, you should really make a screwdriver that fits it right. Dedicated for just that purpose. I made one from an old screwdriver and it didn't take that long. Grind it for the radius, width and thickness, break the edges on a stone. Takes less time than ordering a new one. Put it with your S&W stuff. Found a similar screw head on a .22 rifle, holding the stock and action together.

Banned
    For a S&W thumbpiece nut (that's the proper term for the "screw" that's really a nut; that holds the thumbpiece on a S&W) you need a screwdriver tip that spans the entire width of the nut and fits the slot. It's not critical that it reaches the bottom of the slot in the center of the slot because there's almost no torque being applied at the center axis of the slot. Most of the torque is transmitted at the outer sections of the slot.
    A screwdriver tip that spans the entire nut, without protruding beyond the edges, AND fits the slot - will get the job done even if it doesn't bottom out in the center portion of the slot.

Boolit Master
    I just noticed there's no good screwdriver for S&W sights in Forster set.

Generally most of these are not a good S&W fit,being too thick, when the blade is wide enough it's too thick. You end up using all too narrow blades this way,I already scratched my sight elevation screw... and I have been adjusting it for decades with a "WRONG" screwdriver with no slipping,go figure...

Well I have the Brownells S&W bits coming,maybe better luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12