Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 500 410 pump

Boolit Buddy

Mossberg 500 410 pump

Been researching buying a pump or an o/u for shooting pests at home and possibly skeet/trap. The o/u made in Turkey guns look nice but not sure how they will hold up? Looking for opinions on Walmart's standard 410 pump? Going to cast buckshot in it and #9 shot. Maybe shooting several times a month, maybe 500 rounds or so. Got a Mec 600 jr to do the loading so cost will be down. Do you think the cheap Mossberg will hold up to that amount of shooting? Right now I wouldn't want to spend anymore than I have too for just a fun gun.Shooting my single with cast buck shot is great but I need two shots to play around on the skeet range just for fun. Lot of the posts I have saw said that they are junk but I love my 12 gauge 500 just cant take the pounding anymore. Thoughts please guys and be nice I know it's just 410.

Boolit Grand Master

Mossberg's survive well over 100,000 rounds. I've never heard of anyone truly wearing one out.

Boolit Buddy
    Well the problems I have read about are just 410 related 500s. That is why I asked because I know the other gauges are fine guns. Maybe it is the smaller receiver or lower quality in the little 410?

Boolit Grand Master

I don't believe there would be any problems specific to the 410. I would be more inclined to blame the shell than the gun. .410's are a real bear to load, even for the factories. Based on the fact you want to reload, I would say without a doubt you should discount the .410. You can load 20 gauge very light. Plenty of guys load 1/2 ounce in 20 gauge. They are so much easier to load, you can find hulls anywhere. I would never want a pump .410 unless you have pencil thin fingers.

Boolit Master
    I own, shoot and dearly love 410 pumpguns. That said, and considering what you want to do , I would suggest a 20ga loaded at the 3/4 oz range. 410s are a ball on the skeet range, my son carries a 97+ 410 NSSA average, but that is with a tubed Blazer OU. We can hang around 90% with my M42 or Flightking but that is not a typical experience. They 410 pumps are very difficult to shoot well, but a big giggle when you do!
    I have no experience with Mossberg but have never known anyone to wear one out. Design is not that different from my Flightking that is from the early 60s. Loading 410 is more aggravating than 20s but very cost effective compared to factory. Hulls don’t last long, and are hard to come by. Wads, generally need to mail order, no buggy but something to consider. If you already have the MEC and in 410, then grab a good used 500 and have some fun. If you don’t already have the 410 setup, think hard on going with a 20. We shoot lots of 3/4 oz loads in 20 and A LOT of 7/8 oz 12 gage.
    Many of the Turkey made OU guns have horrid, like 10+ lb triggers! Yildiz and CZ do make decent 410 doubles. I think there is a Mossberg or Stevens made in Turkey that folks like and there are some autos too.

Oh, 16 yard trap with a 410 pump will make a preacher cuss!!!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    tristar turkey gun 410 O/u $450 ONLINE shoot skeet weekly 5 chokes come with it
    use cheddite or fieochie hulls load easy and out last AAs

Boolit Master

I have a Maverik 88 in 12g. Mossbergs own cheaper clone of its self. Had for 5 years. It seems 500 rounds a year between skeet and hunting. I cast buck, shot and slugs for it and use a Lee Load all 2.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Buddy
    I have been looking at tristar and yildez both online. I do own a yildez single 410 that is 3 lbs and its fun to shoot but I got it on sale. It has beautiful wood and almost folds in half. I bought it to saw off the barrel and carry hiking but I cant bring myself to do it, it's just too nice. I already download 12 gauge to 7/8 and thinking about trying 3/4. I am a beginner at shotgun sports though and it's been 36 years since I have hunting birds with one. I want to have fun and not worry about missing Clay's or scores. Kind of stress relief from day job. I will keep looking and yes the mec is 410 but have not used it yet, as I am still collecting supplies.

Hey ncmn

I have, shoot and reload for, on a regular basis, a Mossberg 500 in 410 bore. If you already have a MEC 600, so be it. The 410 is a favorite of mine and has been for over fifty years now. Makes and models are what they are, I been through most. The new 500s in 410 are made specifically for the shell. Older models not so much. Yes, an older model became unusable after twenty years of use and abuse. Mine and other kids were the most detrimental thing involved in the demise. Loading 410 for fifty years has also educated me about tools and hulls. Here are some points and tips.

Mossberg makes a fine pump, full choke only. Full size firearm shoulders well, points easy, swings fast and has a good shotgun trigger. A cut down, replacement butt stock, switches out easily when smaller/younger shooters want to play. 3" chamber but does best with 2 3/4" shells. 3" shells need full cycle attention, 2" shells need different cycle full attention.

MEC Sizemaster is non progressive and best all around for custom and reasonable production. Grabber models best for higher production. Both have collet sizing and grabber has three stage crimp, important for hull scrounging. Neither need skived or pre folded hulls.

500 wads at a time generally costs more for shipping than the actual product. Wad options are few, 2" shells require wads to be hand trimmed with scissors. Shot sizes bigger than #7 1/2 require special attention for proper crimp. Roll crimp is another option but comes with another whole nother set of issues.

You can effectively size hulls using a 45acp size die with the decapping rod assembly removed. Don't remember the seat # off the top of my head but the Lee seat set obviously covers it. This will help with range pickups. Reloading will make you a thorough and skilled scrounger. All my kids are experts!! The 410 fits snugly into 1/2" cpvc pipe, this is something to remember later on when the knowledge becomes particularly and painfully useful.

Punkin balls and slugs don't really cost a dollar each as retail would have us believe. Handloading 410s will evolve into a regime of supply and demand you may never have imagined. My boys are now large men, 410 is still tops. Pull the trigger on a Walmart gun and thank me later.

Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Boolit Master
    The Yildiz single you have is a wonderful little gun! The Tristar is the auto I have a bit of experience with, belongs to a friend. It is a nice handling shotgun, small scale but well balanced. 28 gage forum has lots of people who like them.
    That Yildiz is a ball on skeet singles, I have 2. Bought the gun to build a little 32SWL took rifle. Found it too much fun as a shotgun and went back for another to build the rifle! 3/4 oz in 12 gage is a decent load, have shot a bunch on international skeet practice. When going thru a flat a day,6 days a week, every little bit of savings counts.
    Grab the 410 of your choice and have fun, the lil Yildiz makes grown men giggle!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    I appreciate all the help and I am sure looking for hulls will be problem for me cause I do not know anyone local that shoots one. I bought 100 AA's awhile back to save after shooting. Right now I I have the proper wads and have plenty of win primers. Going to the skeet range the first time I'm sure will be a humbling experience. I have never even seen skeet or trap shooting so I have much to learn. I do have a serious addiction with reloading though as I reload everything I shoot. As well as cast for for them all as well. Going to try throwing up some clays and trying to hit them with the little Yildiz before going to the range. The local Academy has a Yildiz SxS in stock but I have not seen it yet. Little steep price for my budget though. It does have 5 chokes which the Mossberg does not offer. Going to look for hulls now keep the ideas coming guys.

Boolit Master
    Not knowing your exact location, but I know there is a good bit of skeet shot near Morgantown. Most serious skeet shooters turn their nose up at the Rio/Fiochii type hulls. I find they load just fine and can be scrounged at registered shoots. The factory Rio is about 2/3 the price of AA and they will shoot them in competition and trash the hulls. I rarely find pickup 410s anywhere else. We have been at sporting clays shoots, my son can tell when I have spotted a 410 or 16 gage hull! He knows I am going dumpster diving, has finall given in and joins me

Boolit Master
    I suggest getting one and trying your best to wear it out .
    The few cents you pay extra for once fired hulls is saved back quickly in components .
    A little tidbit that will help get a few more loads out of your hulls - some powders burn the crimp more than others .

Boolit Buddy
    I did make a post on wtb AA hulls and the powder I have is H110. I hope that will not burn the hulls too badly. I'm going to try the skeet range in Gastonia and Shelby to see what it is like.

Boolit Master
    I use 296, same as your H110, it isn’t as hard on hulls as Lil Gun. That stuff burns them up. One thing, especially with 410s, keep your hulls together by type. If you get the crimp just right for your AA the loader will purr, if you change hulls it will NOT be fun. Niece setup for the different hull it will run well again. 8 1/2 and 9s load easiest, 7 1/2 like to hang in the drop tube and spill as the handle Tops out. Stuff I get way with in 12ga just won’t work with the little crayons.

Boolit Buddy
    Well got the Mec 600 Jr setup and loading about 50 hulls and found it easier than I thought it would be. I loaded new Cheddite primed hulls and AA's that had been one shot. Now I have to open up my 1/2oz as I can only get about 223 gr out of it after try at opening it up. At first it was only dropping 219 gr. Does anyone know right of the top of their head what is the legal size for skeet grains. I have heard from 229 to 232? I am loading Eagle # 9 as that was all I could find. Now if I could just find a Mossberg 410 in stock and I might be set to try it at a round of skeet.

I got 2 410 one a Savage that is a 22/410 and still no problem I got it back in about 1983 and then a few years ago I got the Moss like you looking into and love it.I made some brass shells for the 410 use my Savage to do it and they work good in my Moss ,it is 3" I made will work on make some 2 1/2" sometime .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    232 gr is max but Don’t waste your effort or mental energy worrying about getting exactly 1/2 oz of shot in the 410. It is meaningless, all the bushings throw slightly short to be sure loads are within the allowed max. Another pellet or two is not going to break a target you did not point well. That is planning for failure and hoping for a golden bb. Load a good shell and have confidence, a target centered with the 410 will smoke just like a 20. Issue with the 410 is two fold, dia of the pattern that yields a certain break is smaller due to the lower shot count( no a couple more don’t matter). Primarily people are timid with it and try not to miss, a lack of confidence, shoot it like you shoot a 12 and they will break lots better!

Remember, the bushing volume is only “right” with the size shot you set it with. Open to get 232gr of #8 and you are over weight if you then load #9s.
    Last edited by rking22; 01-26-2020 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Clarity, typo on wt

Boolit Master
    open shot bushing or bar to give the correct hight of shot for the hull your using
    hull capacity varies between brands
    dont worry about max grains your not shooting reg matches

Boolit Master
    437 grs per 1oz
    218.5 1/2 oz

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast