MidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canned Venison

Boolit Buddy

Canned Venison

This year I was coaxed into canning some venison from one of my kills. I canned seven pints and gave four pints to my FIL because he raved about canned meat when he was a kid. Since many of you are smarter than me, what recipe would you recommend to try for the first time eating canned venison?

We mix it with bar b que sauce and put it on a bun. Also grill some onions, green peppers (and mushrooms if you like), heat the meat, slap all that and some white cheese on a bun and call it a Philly. Mix it with mayonnaise and diced pickles for a cold sandwich spread. Put it a stew. Just eat it out of the jar on crackers. Now you need to go shoot another one 'cause the 3 pints you had left are gone.

Boolit Master
    We just heat it up and eat it with rice.

Boolit Buddy
    We make beef stew!! It’s awesomeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	D9ED352E-07A1-4416-97EC-DBE2439C5FAF.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	254881

I cut up carrots, celery, potatoes, and onion. Add the juice from your canned meat and juice from a can of mushrooms, and a packet of stew seasoning. Cook the vegetables about 25 minutes, until done. Thicken boiling sauce with corn starch, mixed in a little cold water. Lastly, add in meat and mushrooms and bring up to temp. Canned meat will fall apart with too much cooking or stirring. We like our stew with 'hot water corn bread' or biscuts. Congrats on canning, no better way to enjoy venison! Tom

Stroganoff is simple too. Cream of mushroom soup and a can of mushrooms, make your gravy with the liquid your meat is packed in, when ready add the meat and a couple tablespoons of sour cream, cover. Serve over potatoes or rice. Tom

Boolit Master
    I saute some onions and bell peppers chopped finely, in butter, drain the deer and press down on it with a fork, it will fall apart in the skillet with your peppers and onions, pour on your favorite BBQ sauce and pile on bun, don't get much better than that.

Boolit Grand Master

S.O.S recipe but substitute canned venison for the Hamburger or chipped beef .
    Serve over toasted white bread or biscuits .

Make chili with it .

Simmer with a jar of Ragu , serve over pasta or make an awesome sloppy sandwich with Italian or French bread.

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    All, thanks for the ideas!

Boolit Buddy

My absolute favorite is to heat the meat, then remove the liquid and replace the liquid with Baby Rays BBQ sauce then on a hamburger bun.

Banned

mines kind of simple. fill the jar with venison, add a beef bullion cube to a small jar 2 for a quart. Add a slice of onion or two for a quart fill to the neck with water and cook at 9psi for an hour. If you don't want to use a bullion cube then a half a teaspoon of salt in a pint and a teaspoon in a quart. Do worry about it being to salty as you dump the liquid when you use it anyway. I used to do a lot more then I do know but my wife really doesn't care for it. Sure makes making stroganoff easy! Can of spaghetti sauce and some spaghetti noodles or flat noodles makes a quick supper too. Heck I used to stick a pint in my lunch box when I worked and just eat it out of the jar.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kootne View Post
    We mix it with bar b que sauce and put it on a bun. Also grill some onions, green peppers (and mushrooms if you like), heat the meat, slap all that and some white cheese on a bun and call it a Philly. Mix it with mayonnaise and diced pickles for a cold sandwich spread. Put it a stew. Just eat it out of the jar on crackers. Now you need to go shoot another one 'cause the 3 pints you had left are gone.
    +1

We enjoy the raw packed cubed venison.
    We also can the shank meat that was roasted in liquid overnight and separated from the gunk.

Makes good "pulled" meat for whatever.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Buddy
    All thanks for the help! Opened some this evening and made a philly style sandwich using a little au jus seasoning and served it on a hoagie roll with swiss cheese. Was pretty good stuff. Wife's response was "....that it was a lot better than she thought it was going to be". Definitely need to make more jars out of next years deer.

Moderator Emeritus

Plop in a saucepan, heat, add a little more beef stock or water and Better than Bullion beef base. Simmer until hot and thicken with a cornstarch slurry. Dump over potatoes/rice/bread/biscuits and chow down. S&P of course, and any other seasoning. Veggies go good and makes a stew, canned potatoes make a nice shortcut quick stew. Canned meat is the Amish TV dinner!

Boolit Buddy

We use in stew, but as others have said here, just use it as you would any meat.

Boolit Buddy
    It is good with Italian beef mix on a toasted bun. I also mix it with some rice and a can of rotels and some Tonys seasoning...……………………...curdog

Banned

had a buddy I used to work with years ago whos mother in law was kind of an outlaw and killed a lot of deer and fed her family with mostly venison. She used to can it with a recipe that was ready to go gravy right in the jar. It was fantastic on toast or taters or rice. I didn't shoot many deer back then and didn't can so I never got that recipe but sure wish I would have.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Plop in a saucepan, heat, add a little more beef stock or water and Better than Bullion beef base. Simmer until hot and thicken with a cornstarch slurry. Dump over potatoes/rice/bread/biscuits and chow down. S&P of course, and any other seasoning. Veggies go good and makes a stew, canned potatoes make a nice shortcut quick stew. Canned meat is the Amish TV dinner!

Boolit Buddy
    Makes a killer soft taco as well.....starting to think you guys/gals are a bad influence and the deer in my area won't appreciate it next fall.

Boolit Buddy
    Cut venison 1/2 inch cubes diced potatoes chopped onion tbl
    -
    of beef bullion crystles. Process when ready to eat cooking in skillet add a little cornstarch to thicken eat.

Boolit Master

This really makes me miss the days when my Gramma was still here and there were 6 hunters in the family.
    It sucks being the only one left.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast