Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet Loads heads-up

Boolit Master

Pet Loads heads-up

For anyone interested: Got an "E" mail the other day informing me that Amazon has Ken Waters complete "Pet Loads" book for sale at around $70.00.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Buddy
    I got one for $60 just now. Been wanting this for a long time. Thanks!

Boolit Master

Is it in one volume or two?
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Buddy
    the one i bought is :Pet Loads the Complete Volume

description: This is Ken Waters' monumental lifetime work in the handloading field and contains loading procedures, tables, tips, precautions and commentary; over 150 cartridges are detailed. No handloaders library is complete without this comprehensive book. (Incorporates all supplements #1 thru #24)

Paperback: 1166 pages
    Publisher: Wolfe Pub Co; 9th edition (July 1, 2008)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 1879356643
    ISBN-13: 978-1879356641

Banned
    Says “Complete Volume” on the cover and has over 600 pages.

Boolit Master

I have the two volume set just wondering if it's been added to?I know handloader magazine still uses the title "Pet Loads".
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 01-15-2020 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Window's spell check thingy messed up the post
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

$70 seemed high to me. I just checked Amazon and they are showing $60. I checked my past orders and found I paid $44 for it back in 2014.

Boolit Master

I've got a first edition printed in 1979 in a loose leaf binder. I wonder how much information Ken Waters added to later editions?? I gather there were Vol 1 & 2. Would my first edition be Vol 1?

Boolit Master

Mine's a 5th Edition (1990); two-volume set and a number of the calibers appear to have been updated from earlier additions. Vol. 1 covers .22 Hornet thru .30-40 Krag; Vol. 2 covers .30-06 thru .50-70 Gov't for rifle and .32 ACP to .45 LC for handgun. Acquired mine from an estate auction 20-some years ago...paid $12 for a cardboard box that not only contained both volumes of 'Pet Loads' but also copies of Nonte's 'Modern Handloading' and O'Connor's 'The Rifle Book' buried within a stack of old 'Shooter's Bibles' and newsstand gun rags.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 01-16-2020 at 12:32 AM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

My loose leaf binder edition goes from "22 Hornet" to "over 45 cal", with indexed separation dividers between calibers, and then a handgun section. Looks like the format of the later editions is entirely different.

Boolit Master

I think I've got everything but not very organized. I've got the big book and several updates. I may not have everything that is included in "The Complete Volume" but it is more than I will ever get thru and includes every cartridge I might load for.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Many years ago I started collecting vintage handloading manuals. All brands, all volumes, also many of the classic hardback books on reloading and accuracy. This became a passion that gave me data on calibers that had been dropped from the currently sold manuals plus data on earlier but now discontinued powders (this more for reference rather than actual use). There are tons of valuable loads and side comments in these pages and I still will read them occasionally as needed. By example, I recently reviewed loading data for the 35 Newton caliber (yes, I have a rifle and dies, etc. in this caliber) in the Speer #1 manual. I found it interesting how many "max" loads moved up and down for any specific cartridge with the same bullet in each printing.

I bought Ken Waters 2-volume "Pet Loads" rather early when it hit the market. Then I bought the supplements up through about #10 but ran out of steam somewhere about that time (work and family got the best of my time and attention). I have thought about contacting the publisher to ask if they still offer the later supplements or if these are all gone but have not done that so far.

I am a Rifle and Handloader magazine subscriber and really enjoy Brian Pearce's editions of Pet Loads. If those are ever offered in a condensed bound (or even loose leaf) printing I will quickly add that material to what I already own. For that matter I may contact the publisher to ask if they have a condensed schedule of his articles so I can locate and copy these to assembly my own copy of his work. Sure would be satisfying to have a single reference for this data.

I agree Thin Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    thanks for the tip
    just got one for 51.00
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    $70 seemed high to me. I just checked Amazon and they are showing $60. I checked my past orders and found I paid $44 for it back in 2014.
    I am not sure, but I think the price I quoted likely was in Canadian funds. There is about a 30% difference between US and Canadian money.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    My OP was sent in the hope that some of you might be interested. At 81 (in 3 more days) The old issue(s) I have will likely suffice.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

Happy Birthday, blackthorn. Stay young by burning cordite!
    I'm not far behind you. I try to get out to shoot as often as I can between chores & other stuff. Lucky for me I can shoot off my back porch any time I want.

Boolit Master
    Thank you for the notification it is a book well worth having.
    jim

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have the 2015 edition in soft back . 1166 pages with all volumes . I don't recall what I paid but I had to wait for a copy as I had to get a copy for my birthday just a few days before Mr Waters passing it was a couple months before there was another copy available .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    I got by book yesterday. It's a giant NYC phonebook sized paper back bound joy of load info. I believe it has all the pet loads that Ken Waters wrote that has been offered for publication (meaning all the supplements).

Book is so dang big that I'm sure between readings I will employ it for other uses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast