Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Caswell Nickel

Boolit Master

Caswell Nickel

Anyone here ever use a Caswell Nickel plating kit, either the electro-plating or the electroless system? I think I would prefer the electro-plating system since it would be (maybe) more user friendly and be more of a permanent kit to keep around while it seems that the electroless system entails using usage charts along with a good bit of estimation and somewhat involved record keeping in order to keep the system balanced, plus it seems that after a few uses it needs to be replaced. Two of my rifles' receivers remain in the white since I never got around to bluing them and I have become kind of fond of the highly polished/buffed appearance which closely resembles a Nickel or Chrome finish but of course requires a LOT of care to prevent corrosion. So I am thinking to Nickel plate these things but other than having a basic understanding of how electro-plating works I don't really know a whole lot, I know I can send these things out for plating for about the same cost but just like building the rifles themselves I like to do things my self. Any thoughts or advice on doing this?
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Grand Master

I think you first have to plate with brass since the nickel won't adhere to steel?? This from advice not to use Hoppes or other brass dissolvers on nickel plated revolvers.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!