RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersPBcastcoInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: windows 7 is done ?

Boolit Master
    My netbook is still running XP and that’s all it will ever run, but I don’t use it for e-commerce at all. When it gets jacked up I just wipe it and reload everything.

My main desktop is an iMac I bought in 2009. It’s still doing all I need and Apple keeps making updates for it.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    i had a computer repair shop update my windows 7 to 10 . he kept everything the same as it was on 7. so, if you know how to update properly;same format can be installed. i'm too dumb to have done it. paid $100.00 for the update and i'm a happy camper

Boolit Master
    How and where do you get Linux Mint?
    If I get Linux does it totally overwrite all my documents and pictures I have in Win 7

Boolit Master

Good old windows , I went to download the free update to 10 and when I went to save it to a usb flash drive it sent it to my connected external hard drive where it formatted its own 32 gig partition , turning the other larger part of a terabyte to a raw unformatted partition , No I did not tell it to format or set up a formatted partition , and so all 900 and some gigs with about 600 gigs of backed up data are toast , so that external drive is running a file recovery program and will be busy at that chore for a few days , but I have doubt I will recover all . Just love that good old microsoft / bill gates liberal we know whats best for the peasants. Yes I have linux on other machines and it looks like it is going to be all linux and less or no windows/microsoft , did not mind changing operating systems sometimes , but windows has been a hit or miss and linux does not intrude as much and is not the active do what it wants as microsofts software tends to be , sorry rant over , and I did like xp and 7 most of the others not so much.

I did not likr Win 10 at first. Then ordered a new high end laptop and they all had 10.

So I did some looking on how to clean up Win 10, found this and did it,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWHi...s&pbjreload=10

The real key IMO is to scroll down, he gives a follow along web page link that makes it dead easy.

Then reinstall anything you want, solitare, ebook reader, whatever. It will clean it down to the bare bones, Went from almost 2 min boot time to 26 seconds.

/then I used Glary Utilites to clean a few things out of start menu. Clean up all the registry entrys, shortcuts, etc.

The other choice IMO is Linux Mint. It is learnable. Biggest change is the file structure is totally different.

Both are poddible to master with a little time spent educating youself.

I ran Mint 18 for some 18 months on an old slow Win 8 machine that upgraded itself to 10 while asleep in the case. Too much time elapsed, could not roll back. So I wiped drive and loaded Mint. Worked fine for browsing, email, etc and about 200% faster than before.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bayjoe View Post
    If I get Linux does it totally overwrite all my documents and pictures I have in Win 7

Go to https://linuxmint.com

Download whichever desktop you want, the file will be a ISO......use some program in Windows to write the file to a USB stick.....no idea what program as I haven't used Windows in over 20 years. It has to be written as an image file, not just copied to the USB.

Boot your computer with the USB, you may have to enter the bios to make the machine look for the USB before the hard drive. If it boots well, then play with it and get used to it. The thing with using a USB stick is that you don't have to install to the hard drive right away, or at all, if you don't want to.

As far as installing it to the hard drive, if there is anything you don't want to take a risk of losing, it should be backed up to another USB stick........really, you should be doing that right now with Windows. You should also back up before playing with Mint, or any other, as it's possible to commit mayhem and destruction if you're new to things.

I'm sure Mint will have full instructions on the site, and in the file, on how to install. I haven't used Mint as it's just too bloated for me, I like 'em lean......a 2 gig download ain't my idea of lean, must be everything but the kitchen sink in that fat boy.

Really, if you're unsure, or not a computer person, then find someone who is......most kids these days can run circles around us old guys. Or, have a computer shop do it.

Rufus is free and easy to use for burning an iso file to a USB stick.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Banned
    From my experience as a PC Technician (retired)
    Through the years when Microsoft would change an operating system, they would make it difficult to continue to use their older unwanted systems. They would do subtle things that would cause growing problems with the old systems. A person would get to where they would have to acquiesce and upgrade.
    i hated to quit Windows XP. it was a perfectly fine operating system that would still be in use if they hadn't planned it's obsolescence to sell a new product. I finally switched to Windows 7 and found it to be the best version of Windows ever produced. I am still using it.
    As others have pointed out Windows 10 is an operating system built on the idea that THEY will glean every possible bit of information on the user that is possible. Google and Facebook do not hold a candle to the invasive nature of Windows 10. I will not use it.
    I have tried many versions of linux and never liked any of them simply because it is a Windows world and one is always running into aggravating little glitches with the interface from Linux to the world of Windows (maybe it is just me).
    So I continue with Windows 7.
    This is my theory about it's discontinuance:
    Since the "game" of upgrading operating systems has played out (meaning there is no longer much monetary incentive for Microsoft to come out with a new operating system anymore), and so many people want to keep their Windows 7 computers (computers no longer need to be upgraded either because the advancement of home computers has hit the top of the curve. If you are using a computer now and it is adequate, it will continue to be adequate for the foreseeable future) Microsoft is not going to mess with Window 7 users like they did in the past to get people to upgrade.
    Which translates to ...so what if there are no longer any patches and fixes for Windows 7. The vast majority of us don't need them. Unless you have access to a treasure on your computer, the bad guys have no incentive to try and hack it. And as far as someone getting all Win 7 computers to be "clones" for some evil world domination plot...relax, there is safety in numbers. SOMEBODY would step up and fix that.
    In my opinion Windows 7 computers will be chugging along for another 15 to 20 years providing perfectly acceptable function for those of us that continue to use them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Use Roadie's directions to install Linux Mint. For more instructions or help, check here: https://forums.linuxmint.com/index.php

Yes, all files should be backed up on separate media before installing Mint to the hard drive.

Use Rufus as a tool to make an ISO file.

I set my computers up to be dual boot on a SSD.....Windows 10 and Linux Mint Cinnamon, but I seldom use Win 10. I boot to Windows 10 every month to 6 weeks just for the updates.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Dang it! I guess this means that I won't be able to upgrade my desktop computer from Windows XP to Windows 7?

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Whether you plan to upgrade the os to something else or not you should have your data backed up.

I'm a linux fan too. Mint works great but I've used several that work fine.

Sometimes the support for a particular version of Linux (ubuntu or mint) can be pretty short. I would look for the LTS versions since they will be supported for years rather than months. There's a new version of Ubuntu LTS coming in April? Mint will do a few tweaks to Ubuntu before they release their own LTS version.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    Dang it! I guess this means that I won't be able to upgrade my desktop computer from Windows XP to Windows 7?

Good news REVERANDAL. I have copies of every Windows operating system going back to Windows 95 Just let me know which one you want and it's yours.

Vendor Sponsor

I think Etcher is easier to use than Rufus for making a bootable iso to install Linux Mint. Download the Linux Mint .iso file, I always choose Cinnamon, it is the most like windows 7 of all the various Linux Mint choices.

Download Etcher, extract it and just click on it, it opens, put a suitable usb drive in the machine, browse to the Linux Mint .iso file and Etcher will transfer it to the usb drive and make it bootable.

You can boot off the usb drive, it will quickly go to the Linux Mint desktop and you will be running a full blown version of Linux Mint, without disturbing any of your windows files, without making any changes to the windows hard drive.

Now... If you click on Install Linux Mint and you follow the prompts, It WILL overwrite all of your windows files, unless you choose to multi boot it with windows which I don't like to do. You can transfer all of your photos and documents to another hard drive for safe keeping, or to another usb drive. You should probably do this anyway periodically so that a hard drive crash doesn't wipe everything out.

SSD drives are dirt cheap nowdays, I suggest installing a separate SSD and disconnecting the windows drive completely, then install Linux Mint to this new SSD. Then when you connect your windows drive, Linux can still access all the files on it. This is the safest way to go. If for some reason you just cannot come to grips with Linux, simply shut down, disconnect the Linux drive and reconnect the windows drive and reboot.

You can also install and run any version of windows inside linux in a virtual machine. You can run both of them simultaneously (you just can't access any drives that one of the OSes has mounted, with the other OS. You have to dismount the drive to see it with the other OS). Windows is exposed to the internet just like it is the only OS on the computer, all windows programs will install and run in this virtual machine running windows, it won't even know it's running inside linux. You can shut it down just like shutting down the computer, which will shut down windows, and you can restart it again, the whole time linux runs, and isn't shut down or rebooted, just windows.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

https://linuxmint.com/download.php
    The download is an ISO file that you have to convert to a DVD or a bootable flash drive. When you boot it, you have some choices, but it's a "live" image so you can just run it off the flash drive or DVD until you decide to install it. The install will or won't over write depending on your choices.
    To make a bootable flash drive, you use a program such as Etcher. https://www.balena.io/etcher/

https://linuxmint-installation-guide...t/install.html
    And there are thousands of Youtube videos.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I was excited when 10 came out. I got the first version and it was different, but usable. I then got a new computer with a newer version it was and is terrible. My wife uses it, but I’ve got an iPad now and love it.

Several people have mentioned having a backup. That is always a good idea. Ideally you have 3-2-1. Three backups, on at least two different types of media, and one stored off site.

Now I'm going to mention a great home backup solution. It's simple if one follows the step by step. It's XPEnology. This uses almost any old computer and spare hard drives to make a web managed NAS. https://xpenology.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IYSkiiYS5w
    is a very good tutor.

Boolit Bub
    Apparently so... At least windows 10 is better than 8!

Boolit Master

I converted my notebook a while back to dual boot (Win 7 & Linux Mint) because I play games in Win 7.
    Yesterday, I converted Mrs Brass's notebook. Her desktop PC can not be converted to dual boot. Just wipe and load because I cannot create a new partition for the Linux. I removed all network connections for Win 7 to stop the PCs from trying to internet.
    It is pretty easy to see if it is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Good news REVERANDAL. I have copies of every Windows operating system going back to Windows 95 Just let me know which one you want and it's yours.
    Me too! LOL ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

I haven't done a win 7 update in 2 years, nor have I had any problems. I run malware scan every couple of weeks which generally would find the ad-ware trying to creep in. Last winter, I started using Brave as my browser which stops a lot of ads and pop-up. It also tells you how many times per session it has done so and you can look to see what it stopped. The computer is not a barn burner but I mostly go here, watch some videos, and no banking/bill paying (iPad for that) so no problems. My brother backed his stuff up, tried 10, went back to 7. He's the comp guru, I listen to him.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast