WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decent Static Gun?

Decent Static Gun?

Up 'til now, I've only cast boolits for handguns. I'm hoping that is going to change soon.

I'm planning on spraying my rifle boolits, and would like some recommendations on a decent (without breaking the bank) PC static gun. There's so many to choose from, it's a bit overwhelming trying to narrow it down. So I thought I'd turn to you gents for some advice.

What static guns are you guys using, and do you like your choice?
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Phlier View Post
    Up 'til now, I've only cast boolits for handguns. I'm hoping that is going to change soon.

I'm planning on spraying my rifle boolits, and would like some recommendations on a decent (without breaking the bank) PC static gun. There's so many to choose from, it's a bit overwhelming trying to narrow it down. So I thought I'd turn to you gents for some advice.

What static guns are you guys using, and do you like your choice?
    Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John 15:13
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Boolit Master

there is a thread on here about modifying the harbor freight gun, it makes the powder stick a lot better. I tried the spray method but came back to the shake and bake method because it was cleaner and easier.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Bub
    if you look close at the "low end" units they actually are the same unit in different colors. My HF model works good with no modifications. The one thing I would be interested in is the dual power models. I don't know if having two power levels would make a difference since my single power model works just fine.

Boolit Master
    I cannot give you an across the board answer on all guns but here is a little insight.

I started out with a HF gun and it actually works pretty well unless you have days with very high humidity, like most days here in the Gulf Coast. I came up with the idea of adding a modified tip with 4 copper wires in the powder flow to help with the static charge and a modified nozzle to better direct the powder flow. As others found out who did the same, this definitely helped on high humidity days. If you live in the dessert I wouldn't waste my time doing this.

I had been considering an Eastwood Dual Voltage Gun when one day I got an email from Eastwood where I could get the gun for half price so I jumped on it. Also extra Eastwood bottles were $2 each, which was way better than HF bottle prices. BTW: HF powder bottles do not fit their gun!

I retired my HF gun for an emergency use because the Eastwood gun performs so much better. On an average day the lower voltage on the Eastwood works fine. On a really bad day I just flip the switch for higher voltage.

If you spray you will need is an air compressor. The cfm required is not a lot as the gun works on 20 psi. However, a powder gun requires "DRY" air! If you can imagine squirting a pile of powder with a water pistol, that is what you have shortly if your air is wet. Wet also does not work well for transmitting a charge.

My recommendation is the Eastwood gun.

I have the HF gun, made some mods to it that gave some improvement. However I tumble all my rifle boolits now, NO difference in performance! Haven't used the HF gun for 4-5 yrs now. I push rifle loads FAST. Save your $$. Tumble is easier, cleaner and works just as well. Get some of Smoke's powder (or PPTP or Eastwood)- IIRC HF stopped selling it. Don't know if Sherwin-Williams sell in small quantity.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Popper is right, you don't need to spray. I spray rifle bullets because I use gas checks and I want a powder free base on the first coat. Base is set in reamed holes in sheetmetal. After setting the check I tumble the second coat of clear.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1811_1_1.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	254887Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1913_1.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	254888

I coat after applying GC, wipe the base of on paper towel, then cook on hot plate.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I have the HF gun, made some mods to it that gave some improvement. However I tumble all my rifle boolits now, NO difference in performance! Haven't used the HF gun for 4-5 yrs now. I push rifle loads FAST. Save your $$. Tumble is easier, cleaner and works just as well. Get some of Smoke's powder (or PPTP or Eastwood)- IIRC HF stopped selling it. Don't know if Sherwin-Williams sell in small quantity.
    FYI, HF had white and matte black on the shelf when I was there two days ago.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

I have had good luck with the basic Eastwood gun. Have used it since I first started coating. I paid short of $100 but have seen them on sale for $60. Gp

HF white is just OK, black won't tumble worth a darn. Cheap stuff from India. I've done many setups for spraying, tried ES/water coating, most any method you could do in home workshop safely. Tumble works fine. Biggest trick is keeping powder dry in storage or tumbling tub. Trying the puflon stuff now vs airsoft BBS, not sure there is a difference - we are in the monsoon season here now (1 1/2") last nite. So it's brass prep season for now. Only another 400 or so BO to do, then 40sw.
    Whatever!

Fairly new to powdercoating but so far I am happy with my basic Eastwood gun , I read too many bad reviews of the Princess Auto guns (Canadian equivalent of Harbor freight ) so I went for the Eastwood , I have done a fair bit to set things up as well as I can ,to make it work smooth ( dedicated compressor, drained every time I use it, desiccant filter , and pressure regulator on the gun ) . The results so far have been great .

Boolit Master
    Getting your compressed air dry depends a lot on where you live. It's very different if you are starting out at 35% in Arizona or like today here in the Gulf Coast it is 100% and it is not raining! I constructed a condenser to dry my compressed air before it is stored in my 60 gallon tank.

Vendor Sponsor

I have both the hf and the dual voltage Eastwood.

The HF will do ok as stated above on dry days. Harder to spray well on damp days.

The Eastwood dual voltage is a major step up.
    No more shaking the gun up and down to get powder flow to then have a huge dump of powder.
    The Eastwood sprays better, smoother, more consistant
    And the cups fit better.
    All in all a much higher quality product

as a matter of fact I would sell my HF gun for $45.00 and shipping
    pm me if interested
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 01-17-2020 at 11:34 AM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Thanks for all the help, gents. I’ll probably go with the Eastwood dual voltage gun.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlier View Post
    Thanks for all the help, gents. I’ll probably go with the Eastwood dual voltage gun.
    I think that is a good choice.

If you are getting into PC rifle bullets you might want to read an old post "accuracy at 350 yards" posted by "bama" there is a lot of good information there regarding full power accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    I think that is a good choice.

If you are getting into PC rifle bullets you might want to read an old post "accuracy at 350 yards" posted by "bama" there is a lot of good information there regarding full power accuracy.
    Interesting you should mention that thread. I read it when it was running its course, and it got me interested in it back then, I just didn't have the time or resources to do it. But things have changed for the better, so I'm hoping to start casting (and PC'ing) for rifles "Real Soon Now."

I need to upgrade my gun. I have the Hf unit and it’s a pile of crap.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    I need to upgrade my gun. I have the Hf unit and it’s a pile of crap.
    I think Smoke outlined the guns very well. If you live in an area where the humidity runs high the HF gun is not a good choice. For the money the Eastwood Dual Voltage can't be beat; a sale price make it even better. I have had my Eastwood for several years now and it works like new. For spraying bullets and hobby projects it is all I will ever need.

Unlike most here I'm going to tell you not to get a gun. I have an Eastwood and I'm telling you if you get one it will be like old saying about "being a Hammer". You will be looking at all bare metal things and wondering if they will fit in your oven!! So for your sanity sake "Don't do it"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast