RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 357 mag worship

I've been a big fan of .357 for about 30 years. Shot 110 gr. to 193 gr. in handloads.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master
    I'm addicted.

These keep popping up and are hard to ignore... again this is not my gun but I was allowed to check it out. A 4" 586-1 in good condition. M-stamp,too. Accuracy is there,feel and function are great.

I like these original grips very much,they fit my large hands like a good glove.

A little old ... however here is my next trip with the 357;

Bought a mount and cheaper scope for my 6 inch GP100. Cast some 125 Lee swc and 158 Lee swc then powder coated then Ford blue. Then sized them at what the cylinder throats want ... .357 inch

Loaded these with IMR 4227 to a velocity of 1300 for the 125's and 1100 for the 158's. A little aside here ... the first cylinder of these 4227 rounds left my gun unable to close. Putzing around I finally found that powder kernals had dropped under the ejector star and held it up enough that the cylinder would not close. Wondering what other powder is cleaner AND still give the excellent performance of the IMR 4227 .

Wanting to see if I could get any kinda groups from a solid rest at 10 yards, I began with the 125 loads ... gleefully all 5 of the first rounds were 6 inch low and 1 inch left but ... ALL 5 IN THE SAME HOLE.

Centering the group I shot another 5 shot group and these also all went into one hole.

Moving to 25 yards I expected them to open but was very pleased to find that the 125's still cut a raged hole of 1 inch for 5.

Switching to my 158 grain loads I shot another 5 and WALLA ... same accuracy.

I feel like a shooter again with this scopes help. A 2X power Center Mark. Very excited with the mighty 357 and know I need to stretch it to 50 yds ... but thats the next chapter.

Just needed to share my exciting next page in 357 Mag revolver.

Now to obtain a good glass for it. Maybe a Leopold 2X.
    Last edited by bigted; 06-10-2020 at 12:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    I've been tempted by that 8 shot that S&W came out with.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    I've been tempted by that 8 shot that S&W came out with.
    I have one of the 7 shot 686+ models. It is an excellent shooter with either jacketed or cast. I would say, go for it.

bigted -
    I ran into a similar challenge with IMR4227 in the .357 while shooting a GP100 (4 inch version). Unfired powder got under the crane and when I closed the cylinder, the cylinder face jammed into the forcing cone and locked the gun up. There was a good crimp, Winchester primer etc... As much as I love 4227 in .44 Mag and several rifle cartridges it just doesn't seem to play well with the .357 Mag.
    Since that day I've stuck with 2400, W296, VV N110 and even W231 - I've found you can find a pretty accurate load with any of those powders and not have unburnt kernels lounging about causing a stoppage. The published load of 15.0gr of N110 with a small rifle primer under a 160gr boolit makes an exciting and accurate round to shoot ��
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Banned
    big fan of it, just a bit loud for me as is, so I put it in a lever gun

My Dan Wesson: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200621_192758.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	263962

I love my 357s!

Boolit Master
    I like the fact that you can load up a bunch of swaged hbwc with three grains of Bullseye and have fun plinking or pesting. Just tried some 158 swc powder coated over 6 gr. Unique yesterday with my 5" Model 27. I powder coat and size them to .357 because the cylinder throats are tight. They worked very well and are more satisfying to shoot than the hbwc target loads. Other than 9mm and .22, I shoot .357 the most.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Win94ae View Post

I love my 357s!
    Like that long barrel on the 686.

Previously Banned Member
    its the Chevy Impala of the handgun world. All the gun you need, all the gun you want, and 80% of women can fit in the back seat with you... and just enough room in the back seat for the old "struggle buggy" to keep its reputation intact.

every time i watch old videos of the FBI academy doing handgun training with REVOLVERS.. its relaxing and enjoyable, and the officers give a sense of intelligence and seem decent. The videos with m16s and semi autos,,,, key stone cops for some reason and sour the taste buds.

You tube has video of an Indiana State Police trooper using a 686 and speed loaders that is pure poetry.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

I truly love shooting my three revolvers in .357 magnum.

I own a Ruger NM Blackhawk 5.5" convertible in .357/.38/9mm, a S&W Model 65-4 with a 4" barrel and 2.25" Ruger SP101 Wiley Clapp.

Each one gives me a slightly different shooting experience just to keep things interesting.

Boolit Buddy

My pair in .357 magnum. They have served me well for years. A 6.5” Ruger Blackhawk and a JM 1894C Marlin. They have made the .357 magnum my favorite cartridge to shoot and to reload.

“If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Awsome postings

Is the 357 useful? You bet it is simply because everybody can't handle the recoil of a bazooka caliber. Besides that, they are made in some of the most "totable" frame sizes every made. Load then with 180 gr boolits and they have a bunch of power. I am like Petander, when it comes to L frame S&W revolvers. Super accurate to boot. Don't get me wrong, the 44's, 45's and 454's have their place and when you need a big'un, yuou REALLY need it but not everyday, for me anyway.Attachment 266365Attachment 266366

That 686 with the scope thinks it's a rifle!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Mold
    I LOVE my S&W model 686. Accurate and fun to shoot! 6" full lug barrel and a 4" barrel that I used to carry when I was a Loomis Fargo guard. I'll NEVER part with them!!

Boolit Mold
    Beautiful!!!!

Boolit Master
    Have two. One is an old Colt Trooper MKIII and the other is a Marlin 1894 in 357. The colt likes some older S&B 158 grain soft points and I'd have to dig out my loading notes to see what it likes. Don't shoot either as much as I should. Frank

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345