Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 357 mag worship

Boolit Man
    I learned the hard way that Alliant 2400 & Hercules ? 2400, are not exactly the same...
    had to take apart 100 rds..

Quote Originally Posted by gordie View Post
    I learned the hard way that Alliant 2400 & Hercules ? 2400, are not exactly the same...
    had to take apart 100 rds..
    I made the same claim a couple of years ago, and was corrected by a member here.

Boolit Grand Master

"357 Mag worship" yes sir at the altar!
    Charter Member #148

Banned

there is no "best" and hardly any "perfect" 'cept in the mind's eye of the beholder (or shooter/owner). it's all subjective in too many ways.

personally, i like my .38spl pistolos best of all, but have a soft spot for the .357mag and the .45acp. heck, i'll use'm all.

The only thing that is certain is that time passes, we get older and along with that comes arthritis, shooting 300-350 gr, bullets in my .44 and .45s is just not as much fun as it was. In reality anything one needs a hand gun for can be accomplished with a .38/.357 loaded with .38-44 loads (158gr. bullet at around 1100 fps)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by John Van Gelder View Post
    The only thing that is certain is that time passes, we get older and along with that comes arthritis, shooting 300-350 gr, bullets in my .44 and .45s is just not as much fun as it was. In reality anything one needs a hand gun for can be accomplished with a .38/.357 loaded with .38-44 loads (158gr. bullet at around 1100 fps)
    yep, a total reality check for sure. don't get old, don't get debilitated, and keep packing a .357 or .45 - yeah, right. hah. doh.

Something I have wanted to try is converting a 1911 to .38 spl. You have to use full wadcutters seated flush with the case mouth and do some re-springing, and a .38 spl barrel, everything else can stay the same..I think..???

Boolit Master
    Something I have wanted to try is converting a 1911 to .38 spl. You have to use full wadcutters seated flush with the case mouth and do some re-springing, and a .38 spl barrel, everything else can stay the same..I think..???
    SW wasn't the only company to make this kind of gun. The Coonan semi-autos were made in .357mag and would also shoot .38spl. I had two of the Coonan's and they were spectacularly accurate and fed with nary a hitch.

Boolit Master

In 1975 I bought my first handgun a S&W model 28 I used it to hunt and for work as a security guard have no idea how mant small criiters I got with it I never deer hunted with it . It was the first round I did a lot of experimenting with and third round I loaded Proceeded by 30-30 & 30-06 . My gun was very accurate with light bullets but shot heavier bullets terribly , I think that was because of the large cylinder to barrel gap it was .018" (should be .003-.006) . I settled on 110 grain hollow points and Aclan 8 powder the flash was terrible if fired in low light.
    I made a terrible mistake and traded that gun towards a Ruger Security 6 in S.S. when they first came out I never really got along with the Ruger and right after i bought it bought a S&W model 29 . The Ruger .357 was given to my son over 15 years ago last summer i did get another 357 magnum. I was looking at a S&W model 27 but after dealing with S&W service personnel on a old Contender barrel and being lied to I bought a Taurus model 608. I really like the Taurus it shoots very well and has lower recoil then the 44 mag so follow up shots are faster ,I am still experimenting with the load I want to use been using both older factory bullet I had n hand and bullet I cast and swage .
    One bullet I like is a 150 grain I swage from a cats wad cutter I make a deep hollow point in it with a T-30 torx bit then form a nose pushing it into a .223 die . The bullet loaded to 1350 f/s opens well normally shedding the petals and a 50 grain base penetrates deeply .
    Only thing it has killed was way over kill when i shot a possum in the garden .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

I have had a number of 28s over time and got good results with 170 gr. bullets. I just sold a 4" 28 last summer, I still have a 4" 19 and a 6" 28. Here is a picture of a bear I killed with the 4" 28 .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0805111118a.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	255234

The load was 7 gr. of Unique in a .357 case and a med alloy 358429, 173gr., in my alloy.

Good post by Charlie B:
    .357 fan. Probably the most potent caliber that can be easily carried concealed. .... they are light enough when I am out fishing and hiking.... limited on range when hunting. But, so are most pistols that you can easily carry in a side holster.
    My thoughts per-xactly, YMMv, Rod

Colt made the Gold Cup for a time chambered for .38 Special Mid Range( wadcutter).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Texas by God

Over time there have been a number of semi autos chambered in .38 spl. This has been a "what if" thing for me for many years, back when I started shooting the .45ACP in 1964, the barrels and other parts to build a 1911 .38spl were more readily available. These days it is just easier to convert to 9mm or .38 Super. Some of the appeal of the .38 in a 1911 was the ability to shoot a lighter weight bullet. Last year I bought a 160 gr. .45 bullet mold, so the .38 spl. conversion is a bit further on the back of the stove.

Boolit Master

I've always thought .357 mag was a great choice for pretty much anything.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jrayborn View Post
    I've always thought .357 mag was a great choice for pretty much anything.
    yes it is, but no it's not for everyone.

Boolit Master
    357 magnums are the most fired revolvers at my house on shooting days,22lrs get a few rounds,the 500s,480s and 454s always get a few rounds,all the 44s will get a few cylinders ran through them but the 357s get worn out.everbody from the inlaws to the kids and women keep the 3 sa rugers and the gp 100 warm to the touch.although I do like 357mag its not my carry gun,im normally toting a tuarus pt 145 or a tuarus raging bull judge in 454

I have had 38's and 357's in the stable forever. My fondest memory has to be the following ...

Working the Wyoming oil fields in 79/80 , we got layed off when they stacked out all the rigs. Partner and myself began working up in the south pass area way up on top cutting pine posts for a rancher. Lived in a cabin tent that summer and not wanting to go to town much, I hunted with my Ruger Security Six loaded with 38 special lead round nose. These fed us squirrel, grouse and rabbits on a steady diet. I killed a pronghorn with it down closer to the valley and pit cooked the whole thing over a fire.

This has to be one of the best memories I have with a handgun. Several run competition but none are equal to it.

Colorado and a blackhawk 45 Colt with Lee hammer together ammo being rite up there but the Wyoming summer of 80 with my 357 loaded with those 38's stay's tops.

Yepper .. 357's remain in the stable for this pilgrim. Tons o fun!

Boolit Master
    I was checking out a nice 6" 686 today, no dash,no "M".

Perfect function. Very,very good accuracy with Magtech " flat" FMF 357 factory ammo. I"m afraid I have to consider purchase... those little claybird fractures just disappeared from 25 meters...

Boolit Master
    Petander,

I spend a lot of time in Eastern Ukraine where firearms ownership is nonexistent, but in looking at all your guns I may have to make a trip to Finland.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    Petander,

I spend a lot of time in Eastern Ukraine where firearms ownership is nonexistent, but in looking at all your guns I may have to make a trip to Finland.

Don
    Haha...

Things have been getting more and more complicated here,too. But I'm being active in various gun sports and competitions,it helps with bureaucracy.

Revolvers are completely out of fashion here,our prices are less than half US prices. When people finally get a handgun permit they want to shoot practical with hi cap pistols.

I've been selling mine away,looking for accurate revolvers instead. Old? Maybe but I like it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast