WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10mm to .40 s&w

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    for those who say "ream the case mouths"
    ....my 180 grain boolits are nearly as different from my 150 grain boolits in length as the .40 S&W is from the 10mm.

so what i'm saying is that the 150 grain boolit would sit no deeper into a cut down 10mm case than a 180 grain boolit does in a "non cut down" 10mm case.

so in reality ....there would be virtually the same volume under the base of the boolit ....so again, why would reaming be necessary?
    I am wondering if the reaming comment actually meant chamfer?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    I am wondering if the reaming comment actually meant chamfer?
    No, I'm pretty sure they meant ream. Anytime you shorten a case, pistol or rifle, the case walls (thicker) become the neck/case mouth. If the chamber had minimal clearance before, then you run the risk of causing high pressure events when the bullet can't release easily from the case neck. Per his 150/180 reference, I'd suspect that he wouldn't have a problem, but there is a point below the normal seating depth where the brass thickens noticeably with heavier for caliber bullets. When I load 200 grain in the .40 cases, they start to bulge at the bullet base.

Boolit Master

I've considered it, as I've had a few 10mm cases here and there with crinkled or cracked necks, that I've tossed into the scrap bucket. I look at them, look over at the gallons of .40 S&W brass that is so cheap and plentiful as to be sold for scrap, and I toss the 10mm brass into the scrap.

I've been known to be stubborn and curious and do silly things like that just for kicks (and to see if it can be done), but nowadays I don't seem to have as much patience and curiosity for it.

Boolit Master
    I'm with everyone else. If someone GAVE me 1 million rounds of 10mm brass and all I had was a .40 S&W, I'd either sell the brass and buy .40 brass, or else buy a 10mm pistol.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    does anyone cut down 10mm to .40 S&W length?

if so any notable things to consider? (other than 10mm large primer and .40S&W small primer)
    I'm sure somebody does. And I'm equally sure that somebody has also traded an ounce of gold for an ounce of silver at least once throughout history. And somebody has bought a used Yugo on a 72 month loan.

It doesn't make economic sense, so therefore I would imagine not very many people do it.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    Let me add that once, when I was young and much poorer, I did trim down 50 pieces of .357 Mag brass to .38 Special length. It had begun to experience case mouth splits, and I couldn't afford new brass at the time. I was a young soldier with a wife and baby son; no money for stuff like brass! I would not do that again, for a variety of reasons.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Mold
    I've started trimming down 10 to 40. It allows me to use a surplus of LPP and take pressure off my SPP stockpile.

Quote Originally Posted by a075923 View Post
    I've started trimming down 10 to 40. It allows me to use a surplus of LPP and take pressure off my SPP stockpile.
    Noooooooooo! You may have really angered the 10mm gods by doing this.

Heck, PM me and maybe we could work out a deal and I could send some primed 40 cases to you in trade for the 10mm ones.

Curious if the OP ever tried it or was just blue sky questions and got tired of being whacked for asking a simple "what if question".

I've done weird things in the past just to see if the could be done. 45 Colts on a 444 case to shoot in a T/C 410/45 Colt barrel(it works). Did it just for the grins of it during the house arrest last spring.

Will probably get in the same kind of silliness this winter if we don't get good ice for sailing this winter.

Better than watching Judge Judy.

Quote Originally Posted by a075923 View Post
    I saw skrapyard628's post and I'll do the same thing. I've got probably 600-700 pieces you can have. Heck, just pay the postage and you can have them.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post

How many on here have experimented with rifle primers in pistols or magnum primers in place of standard? I know I have.
    Wouldn't hesitate one second using magnum SPP in place of regular SPP, but would hesitate using SRP in place of SPP, especially with striker fired pistols. Hammer fired would prolly be OK, but have seen some striker fired pistols have trouble with regular SPP, and SRP are said to be harder cups, or so they say.

Boolit Mold
    Sorry I've already trimmed the 250 or so I've picked up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12