MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Old Army...talk me in or out of one.

Ruger Old Army...talk me in or out of one.

I've been looking at cap and ball revolvers. I'd like one made with quality. Been looking at the Rugers. What say y'all? Thanks!!
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Great guns. If you want to shoot anything other than round balls you will want a higher front sight.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

No doubt one of the, if not the, best BP revolver ever made.

Boolit Master
    IN!
    Get one!
    The Ruger Old Army was the apex in the development of cap and ball revolvers.
    For the sake of shooting, they’re great.
    For the sake of replica, they miss the boat.

My first cap and ball was a Pietta Remington Navy clone (36 cal). Dad bought it for me for Christmas about 1972 or so. He got it from Walgreens when they were closing out their black powder stuff. I’ve enjoyed it being a good shooting clone. I like the size. It fits me.

The Ruger Old Army is essentially a large frame Blackhawk and it’s a big gun. It’s not a clone of anything. It’s just a well made, stout, big boomer. If you like the Old Army and aren’t interested in a replica, you really should get one. They’re drying up, but there’s still some good ones in circulation.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Buddy
    Nope, not going to try to talk you out of it. You came to the wrong place for that. I have one and it is one of the most accurate guns that I own and I own several. Buy it!
    Siamese4570

I wondered what they were modeled after. I was looking at the 1858 Remington also, but am concerned about quality.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master
    If you wonder why they aren't easily found,, well, I'm doing my part in trying to hoard them. I own several. If you want the best BP handgun,, get one.
    Bill hit a Grand Slam in that design!

Boolit Grand Master

The best C&B revolver made! I own a couple of them and the accuracy is superb. You'll have to find someone else to talk you out of it...
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

I thought I would be happy owning one. I was wrong I now have two. One for RB and one with a higher front sight for conical bullets. The RB shoot incredibly accurately but I wanted a heavier bullet for hunting so I picked up a second one.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My Ruger Old Army .45 single-action blackpowder revolver, has adjustable sights and a 7-1/2" barrel.

I have for it two extra fitted percussion cylinders which I ordered from the factory.

As the revolver comes out of the box it is sighted for round balls and heavier bullets shoot way high. To use heavier bullets it really needs a higher front sight 1/8" higher than the one which comes on it. I started by welding a blob onto the existing blade and filing it in, but after a while I decided that the factory rear sight was less rugged than I wanted, so I had Richmond, VA gunsmith Jerry Kieffer set up the revolver exactly as I wanted it. He set back the barrel to establish cylinder gap at 0.006", which is the minimum for reliability with black powder. He recut and lapped the forcing cone, line bored and true ALL FOUR cylinders both .45 ACP Kirst cartridge and Ruger cap & ball, shimmed the hammer, did a trigger job, the works. For me the cost was well worth it, because this revolver is accurate, reliable and thoroughly dependable in the field.

The original factory rear sight was replaced with Hamilton Bowen's "Rough Country" rear sight. I also had fitted a custom NECG front sight with interchangible blades to enable accurate zeroing by swapping blades. My hunting load with the Lee 250-gr. R.E.A.L. bullet hits exactly on at 25 yards with all the Pyrodex P or Goex 3Fg the chambers will hold. A charge of 35 grs. of 3Fg or "P" gives ballistics about the same as a .45 Colt cartridge gun, approaching 900 fps with 250-gr. bullet. Typical groups are 2 inches or less at 25 yards. It shoots clear through a deer from any angle and leaves a good blood trail because the loading lever reforms the Lee R.E.A.L. bullet into a .45 cal. wadcutter!

I set up this Ruger to hunt deer seriously because it was not legal to carry a cartridge handgun during the blackpowder season, but I wanted a quick follow-up shot capability. Carrying a .45 or larger blackpowder revolver along with a muzzleloading rifle is OK where I live now. I have killed a half dozen deer with it at short range from my tree stand, and it is effective at reasonable range within 25-40 yards, where my ability to make well-aimed, vital hits is adequate.

I also have a .45 ACP cartridge conversion cylinder from Walt Kirst, which works very well. They make .45 Colt conversion cylinders also, but I didn't want to chance accidentally getting a "too hot" load intended for my New Model Blackhawk, so I stuck with .45 ACP and any 230-grain (non+P) "Personal Defense" load shoots to the sights.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 01-13-2020 at 11:49 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I have had two ROAs, both stainless. Gave one to my dear friend and shooting partner. A .454, 225 grain TC bullet from an Accurate mold seated over all the 3 F Old E you can get in the chamber (about 32 grains), is standard fare for both these revolvers. So loaded, it will center hit an 8" plate at 25 yards with a six O'Clock hold and has enough wallop to drop a deer at 30-50 yards. BUY AN OLD ARMY.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

As anyone who has one will tell you.."buy it!"
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    Just buy it. Stainless is the way to go. Not only is clean up easier but the front sight is pinned, unlike the blue ones. Makes for easier changing of the front sight for shooting the heavier conicals.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1130 2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	254810

Winelover

Yep, my first bought about 1976 for $125 and still have it. I really wanted the reintroduced colt dragoon but it was $200! The colt navy was $125 but I wanted a 44. Shot it a lot with mostly round balls. Great memories. Got so good with it, we threw large cans or plastic jugs up in the air and hit them. If I remember it shot about 60 rounds and it was so fouled up, it stop revolving. As inherently in the Ruger/ Remington design with the top strap. I since added both of those colts and that was the one advantage to the colt design. Of course now there is a spray cleaner that will keep them shooting as long as you like. And we never downloaded either but less powder would be good too, as well as pyrodex or other substitutes ( a memory from back then was I had one can of pyrodex before it wasn’t anywhere to be had because of the accident at the factory that killed the founder). I have small hands and the Blackhawk grip frame fits fine but nothing feels better in my hand then a colt 1851 navy or 1860 army. But they have issues as well including usually shooting high with fixed sights.

Super Moderator

I own one and love it. It's a blued 7-1/2" model. I have both the LEE 200 and 250 grain REAL molds for it, but my best accuracy comes with the good ol' round ball. The round ball is no slouch when it comes to killing deer either, it really puts them down. If you can get your hands on one for sale, buy it!

Boolit Master
    I bought a stainless one new and it was everything the previous posts said it was. It was also way too heavy for one handed shooting, at least for my small hands. The 1858 Remington is perfectly safe and I have no trouble shooting them with one hand. If you have strong arms and hands, the ROA is the best ever. Ruger has no parts for one if anything should break.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

Great gun, you'll never regret getting one.
    There was a rumor a while back that Ruger was going to put them back in production again. Anything to it???
    Don't see any mention of it on their web site.

Boolit Buddy
    Good morning,

Buy one...or two!
    I have a blued and then found a SS, yes, found quite literally. I was at a modern gun store, all black plastic and very 3 gun orientated, and in the one display cabinet there was a Ruger box, black and yellow and long. I knew it had to be a late 70’s early 80’s revolver. I was expecting a Blackhawk. When the clerk pulled out the box, he said “Wow it’s heavy I thought it was a display box” then he tosses, yep tosses the box on the counter, opens it up and says “blah... just one of those crappy old cowboy guns”. It was a new or as close to new SS Ruger Old Army!! I could barely keep a straight face....I said hummm....I hear nobody wants those “old cowboy guns”. What are you asking? He flips the box around 2-3 times all the papers go on the floor, as I am picking them up, he yells at the other guy “what are we asking for this thing?” I hear back, “the price is on the box.” Sure enough there is a price sticker, which is as old as the box, of $168.50.....he says in a total disgusting voice “ I knew these things were crap!!! My Airsoft practice pistol was more than this.” I said “it looks like it’s been here for a long time, would a $100.00 dollar bill get it?” I had some AR bits and a Reddot in my basket......he said “if you are buying that stuff?, It’s yours for $100.00?”

At the one range we have a walk and shoot black powder trail. They are a lot of fun to walk along and shoot the hidden targets along the trail. I believe Ruger is making a mistake not making a limited run of ROA every 5 years. I am sure they would all sell, especially if they included a regular cylinder with the cap and ball. Both of mine shoot to POA with round balls and about 6” high with the REAL boolit. I prefer round ball. Makes for lots of fun shooting and they rock the steel plates....ding....ding

Respectfully,
    Bullseye67

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you want one. If so proceed to step 2

Step 2. Can you afford it with out going in debt if so buy it. If not save up and buy it.

Step 3. Will you incur the wrath of the siginifact other in your life. If no buy it.
    If yes. Is it worth it or can you wait and sweeten the pot first.

Step 4. Buy the gun.

Step 5 buy every thing you need to load it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks folks. Appreciate the pep talk.
    Winelover, you have the worst camoflage I've ever seen!!
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast