MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new to me blackhawk 45 - what gr boolit?

My whitetail load this year was 17.5 grains of Alliant 2400 under the Mihec group buy 280 grain info, with a small hp. Soft shooting and real 'thumper'! hc18flyer

Vendor Sponsor

Regardless of choice of boolit, the majority here will size 45 caliber boolits to .452" this is almost universal with Ruger revolvers as their groove diameter has been right at .451" for decades. When you get your revolver, see if boolits sized .452" will fit into the cylinder throats with finger pressure. Typically, throats would be too small to accept a .452" boolit or gage pin and would need to be dimensionally corrected by reaming and/or honing.

Typically, throats can be inconsistent due to Ruger's manufacturing methods, and having throats all honed to the same size will improve groups as well.

In a perfect world, you would size boolits .001" to .002" greater than groove diameter, and size cylinder throats .0005" to .001" greater than boolit diameter. This arrangement works a charm in all calibers with cast boolits.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    RCBS 270- SAA shot best in the one that I had.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I drank the DougGuy 'koolaid', he worked on my cylinder throats. My BH shoots better than I can! I size to .452. hc18flyer

Moderator Emeritus

For a shoot all weekend long load I really like the Ideal 454424 and 6.5 gr Red Dot. It will shoot through several deer if they are lined up and its accurate. Depending on bbl length it should be about 1000 fps.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    I drank the DougGuy 'koolaid', he worked on my cylinder throats. My BH shoots better than I can! I size to .452. hc18flyer
    Your not the only one. I took mine down and talked to him as he worked on it as he lives not far from me. Learned a great deal and the gun shoots superb.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by DHDeal View Post
    I am not much into Colt SAA or the clones, but that Uberti looks NICE! The few gunshops I stop in almost never have anything I would look at twice. Sure wish I could look one of the Uberti SA like yours over.

I am a huge fan of single actions with adjustable sights though. It comes down to the front sight, not aesthetics. My eyes aren't what they were....
    Thanks, it's a Frisco model. I got it from a gun shop in Louisiana and got a good deal on it because someone mishandled it and put that ring around the cylinder. Uberti's, but especially those produced in the last few years, are very well fit and the cylinder throats are of proper diameter, making for some wonderful shooting revolvers.

I'm with you on the front sight. At almost 57 years of age, my days of seeing those .100" thick front sights are getting short, but I've taken a 40 lpi checkering file to all of my Uberti front sights and it has made a big difference, reducing glare and sharpening the front sight picture.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

35W ... that is a great idea with making sererations on that front sight. Thanks for sharing this hint.

Boolit Buddy
    DougGuy
    Well I have received the New Model Blackhawk and I have slugged the barrel and checked the cylinder throats. The barrel measures right at .450. Now for the problem. I slug measuring .454 can be pushed into the cylinder throats with finger pressure. A couple of the throats I would guess are a bit looser at .455 based on pressure to push the .454 slug into the throats. Based on what you wrote below, my cylinder must be way out of specs. proper sized slug for barrel would be .452 but that is .001 too small for the cylinders . What is your recommendation. You are about 100 miles out of range to simply drive up and see you in person as I am in upstate SC.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Regardless of choice of boolit, the majority here will size 45 caliber boolits to .452" this is almost universal with Ruger revolvers as their groove diameter has been right at .451" for decades. When you get your revolver, see if boolits sized .452" will fit into the cylinder throats with finger pressure. Typically, throats would be too small to accept a .452" boolit or gage pin and would need to be dimensionally corrected by reaming and/or honing.

Typically, throats can be inconsistent due to Ruger's manufacturing methods, and having throats all honed to the same size will improve groups as well.

In a perfect world, you would size boolits .001" to .002" greater than groove diameter, and size cylinder throats .0005" to .001" greater than boolit diameter. This arrangement works a charm in all calibers with cast boolits.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by rdwarrior View Post
    DougGuy
    Well I have received the New Model Blackhawk and I have slugged the barrel and checked the cylinder throats. The barrel measures right at .450. Now for the problem. I slug measuring .454 can be pushed into the cylinder throats with finger pressure. A couple of the throats I would guess are a bit looser at .455 based on pressure to push the .454 slug into the throats. Based on what you wrote below, my cylinder must be way out of specs. proper sized slug for barrel would be .452 but that is .001 too small for the cylinders . What is your recommendation. You are about 100 miles out of range to simply drive up and see you in person as I am in upstate SC.
    I see no problem with .455"cylinder throats and .450" barrel. Fit bullet to cylinder throats, use soft alloy and go for it.

In .45 Colt use Attachment 255038 cast 10 BHN, 1:30 tin-lead or 50-50 COWW and plumber's lead + 1% tin, sized .454-.455" with 7 grains of Bullseye in Colt New Service and Colt SA clones. OK to go 7.5 Bullseye in Ruger New Model Vaquero.

In .45 ACP/AR use 5 grains of Bullseye, in .455 Mk2 in Starline brass use 4 grains of Bullseye in the Colt New Service, cut 1/2 grain for Webley MkVI top breaks.

Size-'em all .454 unless you have a .455 sizer.

Attachment 255039Attachment 255040

45-264H has correct nose length for .45 Colt, 464D is for .45 AR and the .455
    Last edited by Outpost75; 01-19-2020 at 12:45 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12