RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I gave up on wheel weights

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rich/WIS View Post
    Have so much on hand, COWW, Lino, range lead, and other alloys that I'm done adding to my stash.
    I've said this but I can't resist a free or cheap score! Without looking too hard I end up with 400# or so a year. Mostly from contacts going back for years.

I haven't given up completely on ww but i wont pay for them anymore . I got 2 5gal buckets free and when i was done I had a 5gal bucket filled to the top with all the unusable stuff left over .

Boolit Grand Master
    I have some ww a bucket and a half or so but I don't actively look for them any more.
    I found Isotope cores to be a better substitute for ww these days and have enough of both to last the rest of my time
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Several years ago I did some messing around with Zn contamination. I found that up to 5% Zn did not really change things much at all! Weight will go down ever sooooooo slightly. This was in a 25# melt.

So don't "throw the whole pot out" if you get just one zinker in there!!!! A total waste. Way too many "olde wive's and caster's tales" exist about a little Zn in boolits.

banger

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    I have some ww a bucket and a half or so but I don't actively look for them any more.
    I found Isotope cores to be a better substitute for ww these days and have enough of both to last the rest of my time
    Where do you get isotope cores from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a warm .45

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Several years ago I did some messing around with Zn contamination. I found that up to 5% Zn did not really change things much at all! Weight will go down ever sooooooo slightly. This was in a 25# melt.

So don't "throw the whole pot out" if you get just one zinker in there!!!! A total waste. Way too many "olde wive's and caster's tales" exist about a little Zn in boolits.

banger
    Never tried making bullets from mild zinc contamination but when it comes to pouring ingots it isn't too bad. Need more heat, and I think a bottom pour might work better than ladle casting since it can more easily avoid the mild slush that forms on top of the melt.

Have some pewter that has zinc contamination and it is going into a round ball mold to be used as slingshot ammo. Not a hazard to handle tin & zinc.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

I took the Wife's Expedition in for service and a tire rotation this morning and raided the weight bucket. They have me and at least another guy that gets them and the other guy beat me this time. I came away with about a gallon of mixed weights. After sorting, I estimate between 60-40 and 70-30 lead to steel. There was a small handful of stick-ons, a few plastic and composite weights and no Zinc.

I'm seeing less and less Zinc, which I see as a good thing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantou View Post
    Where do you get isotope cores from?

Hospitals use them, though many big centers and most smaller ones get their isotopes from a radiopharmacy that serves the area. Radiopharmacies end up with a LOT of different lead containers that they usually scrap if they are too far from the cyclotrons and reactors to return ship them economically (that's most of them). Some are willing to sell them to individuals that save them the hassle of taking the containers and cores (which are called technetium generators or "moly cows" in the trade) to the scrapyard. Very clean metal, though prior analyses that showed 96-3-1 content for the generators hasn't held up for me (consistently 97.5-2.5, with no tin).

Google is your friend here. Enter radiopharmacy and filter to your area. Don't cone down too much geographically; a reference I came across cited just over twenty radiopharmacies in all of California.
    Last edited by kevin c; 02-09-2020 at 09:55 PM.

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Hospitals use them, though many big centers and most smaller ones get their isotopes from a radiopharmacy that serves the area. Radiopharmacies end up with a LOT of different lead containers that they usually scrap if they are too far from the cyclotrons and reactors to return ship them economically (that's most of them). Some are willing to sell them to individuals that save them the hassle of taking the containers and cores (which are called technetium generators or "moly cows" in the trade) to the scrapyard. Very clean metal, though prior analyses that showed 96-3-1 content for the generators hasn't held up for me (consistently 97.5-2.5, with no tin).

Google is your friend here. Enter radiopharmacy and filter to your area. Don't cone down too much geographically; a reference I came across cited just over twenty radiopharmacies in all of California.
    Thanks for the info. I’ll look into it but I live in rural Texas so I doubt that is going to be a viable option for me.

Happiness is a warm .45

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    I leave 15lbs in my smelter and i melt that first. Get my temps under control, then add 4 or 5lbs at a time, if it floats it gets pulled.

I use wood to smelt , that way if there is any zinc in the mix it will float with the rest of the junk and just skim it off. It is how I always done it and was taught by my dad how to melt lead in a wood fire. But what I do is after I skim off the junk on top after flux the mix. I pour in ingots the whole pot and start over. and keep doing the same till I have it all done. You do not want the heat high on the melt that way what ever there is in the mix will not melt on you. That is the good thing with wood if you use it right .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12