WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Lee 8mm 215 Kar mold

Boolit Master

Lee 8mm 215 Kar mold

I bought the Lee 8mm Kar mold a while back. I poured a few today with WWs, it's going to be large. It is .328 in dia. and weights about 234 grs. I have a .325 sizer and will lube, size and add a gas check as soon as I get a chance. From my first check it looks like they will chamber and crimp in the front lube groove. The rifle is a scoped Yugo 48.

I have read a few threads on this mold but can't seem to find one now. Can anyone pass on any experience you have with this mold. I'm trying to get an idea of where to start.

Dave

Boolit Master
    What is the groove diameter on your rifle.
    Several of my Mausers run as high as .327"
    That sizer will work on that boolit , but will take some force to get it sized..

Boolit Master
    The best I can measure with a set of dial calipers my rifle is just under .325 and my sizer is just over .325, anyway those specs work with my other molds and shoot fine.

I was concerned about sizing also but they gave no problem. After the gas check and lube it weighed 240 grs. One of the reviews on the Midsouth website stated that Lyman #2 gave the proper weight. The .328 dia is also within spec.

Dave

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Beemer,

My first question would be to ask if you can chamber an unsized bullet. If so, and you have a way to size the case neck to match, then I'd lap your size die out to match. I have only one hard and fast rule with cast bullets. Load the biggest bullet I can chamber.

My 8mm works best sizing to .325 in a .323 bore.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    ….

Load the biggest bullet I can chamber.
    Very good, I absolutely agree with. The rifle will make all work than.

I use LEE 8mm MAX mold, it is the same as "Kar", only with little bit longer nose. I use hard alloy, and it gives me 235 grs. incl. gas-check and lube, in .326 dia. I am able (without problems) to size it to .323 or .321, with Lyman old sizer. So by my opinion you can size from .328 to .325, why not.

I use the load 28 grs of ACC 5744 powder.

Boolit Grand Master

I load the 8mm Maximum to about 1800 fps, 252 grs checked and lubed, one shot at 50 yds on 1100 pound cow bison DRT. Shoot a deer in the left front shoulder and it will exit right rear ham, looks like they been harpooned with half inch rebar.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    I loaded a few today, started at 19 grs. IMR 4198 and went to 21.5 grs. The boolits were seated into the rifling and a dacron filler was used. I only shot 3 shot groups as I didn't want end up with useless loads and I was wanting to get the feel of things. The best was 1.5 at 21 grs. and the worst was 2 inches at 100 yds.

I am pleased so far with the groups but the loads will not feed from the left side of the mag. The nose tips far enough to the right that the flat nose hits the back of the barrel.

Dave