MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Penn Cast bullets

Boolit Bub

Question Penn Cast bullets

Ordered some 335gr Thunder head cast bullets in .475 for my 480 Ruger . Cast in our famous 20+ BHN premium grade material it will take up to 1600 FPS with out the need of a gas check . Is this true ? I don't plan on loading any past 1400 FPS ,but will be using H110 powder.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    The reason it is 20 BHN is when you get it in the package it will arrive ok as far as they are concerned ....Far too much hype on hard cast!
    If the bullet fits well No need for such high BHN!
    But that is something you have to learn
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master

Penn Bullets is the gold standard in commercial cast bullets. The owner is a great guy to deal with.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys

Boolit Master

I'm sure they are great but they never shot well in my 460. Maybe it was fit, maybe velocity, maybe something else. Dunno. The designs look wonderful for terminal ballistics.
    I bought the 340 grain 454 casull bullet.

The alloy is harder than needed and same for the lube if you get leading its from poor fit or the hard lube they use .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    Penn Bullets is the gold standard in commercial cast bullets. The owner is a great guy to deal with.
    +1! I used them for years before I started casting my own, good stuff!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Did you slug your barrel before deciding what size you need?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ironworker View Post
    Ordered some 335gr Thunder head cast bullets in .475 for my 480 Ruger . Cast in our famous 20+ BHN premium grade material it will take up to 1600 FPS with out the need of a gas check . Is this true ? I don't plan on loading any past 1400 FPS ,but will be using H110 powder.
    Don't be downloading H110 below published data. Search out the warnings given by Hodgdon if you are unaware of the issue.

I suspect you will be fine with the Thunderheads.
    BUT, if you have any issues, here are some things to think about. BHN numbers don't tell much of a story. Linotype (air-cooled) is 20+ and I wouldn't recommend it for a 480 Ruger boolit. COWW with 2% tin added, cast and then heat treated will also be 20+ and is a much better alloy for a 480 Ruger boolit loaded to near MAX. If you find a load to work in that 480 Ruger that is only 1400fps, a boolit that isn't heat treated but is cast in COWW with 2% tin added will likely work better, the hardness of that will likely be 12 or 13 BHN. As always, the boolit has to fit, if it's a wee bit small, but a softer alloy, it will obturate to fit, and will likely shoot successfully. If the boolit is too hard, it will not obturate, and you will likely get Lead fouling due to gas cutting, which also will likely cause a flyer.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    He never asked me if I needed a .475 bullet or .476 ? I asked him why a gas check isn't needed ? He said "Because of a propitiatory coating ,bullets can be pushed up to 2500fps ? Its not like I spent my life saving on these bullets,just hope they don't lead my bbl up .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ironworker View Post
    He never asked me if I needed a .475 bullet or .476 ? I asked him why a gas check isn't needed ? He said "Because of a propitiatory coating ,bullets can be pushed up to 2500fps ? Its not like I spent my life saving on these bullets,just hope they don't lead my bbl up .
    If you get leading, it's not because they don't have a gas check. You will more than likely be happy.