Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Fooling a Smoker Thermostat

Boolit Master

Fooling a Smoker Thermostat

I bought a used Masterbuilt smoker to use as an oven to do epoxy coatings on firearms.
    The coating, Molykote requires a temperature of 300 degrees, but the highest setting on the smoker is 257 degrees !
    I am thinking about covering the thermostat probe with fiberglass insulation and a tube of aluminum and using a mechanical oven thermometer to get the temperature I need.
    Does this sound like it will work?

Boolit Master
    If you’re gonna do that why not just disconnect the probe? I’d install an external controller, the same PID that many use for their casting pot would probably work.

Oven thermometer’s are notoriously inaccurate.

Boolit Master

A piece of aluminum and some fiberglass is a whole lot cheaper anymore less time consuming than a PID! I only have to be 25-35 degrees higher and the exact temperature is not critical!

Boolit Grand Master

If its inside covering the probe will only slow the heat absorption eventually the probe will get up to the inside temp. You might want to go the way of the lee lead pots where the thermostat is backed off the actual pot. Maybe remount the probe to the outside of the unit. in a small metal box on the outside of the unit 1/2" or so away may be just the ticket. The metal box is to protect from wind and drafts when using. Something like a old succrets box, altoids box, or even the bottom of a soup can. ( the bottom 1"-1 1/2" of a spam can may be perfect

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    A piece of aluminum and some fiberglass is a whole lot cheaper anymore less time consuming than a PID! I only have to be 25-35 degrees higher and the exact temperature is not critical!
    Cheaper yes, but it won’t work. That’s why I suggest that you disconnect the probe to the thermostat so the smoker is either just on or off.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    If its inside covering the probe will only slow the heat absorption eventually the probe will get up to the inside temp. You might want to go the way of the lee lead pots where the thermostat is backed off the actual pot. Maybe remount the probe to the outside of the unit. in a small metal box on the outside of the unit 1/2" or so away may be just the ticket. The metal box is to protect from wind and drafts when using. Something like a old succrets box, altoids box, or even the bottom of a soup can. ( the bottom 1"-1 1/2" of a spam can may be perfect
    Thanks! I will try it that way. I have a small sheet metal brake so a little box will not be a problem

Boolit Grand Master

Let me know how it works out.

Boolit Master

After a couple of tries with relocating the temperature probe I realized it was not the temperature sensor and found the right sensor and relocated it under the rear cover stuck inside the insulation.
    I am getting 100 degrees more heat than showing on the temperature display!
    Now to work on bead blasting and learning how to use an airbrush!