Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: Favorite 44 mag Cast Hunting loads for SS rifle / carbine

Boolit Buddy

Favorite 44 mag Cast Hunting loads for SS rifle / carbine

T/C Encore with a 20" 1 in 20 twist MGM barrel . Correct twist & don't have to worry if Oal will feed . Prefer to stick with the proven Keith SWC or LBT style wide meplat type . Have the usual selection of magnum pistol powders on hand along with primers . My primary game is feral hogs not deer . I also don't need super heavy as I'm not going to be after elk , moose , big bears or buffalo . Many proven designs between 240 to 280grs . Please feel free to make suggestions & give advice .

Boolit Grand Master
    Not within your preferences, but I like the Lee 310 w/ a moderate amount of H-110. Once I find what's accurate for me, I go with it.

Boolit Master
    Hard to make any single recommendation. I think you're on the right track with that weight range, but 725 makes a good point too--if you had a heavier than necessary bullet that was more accurate than others, I'd go for that.

I think if I were to make any recommendation it would be to try a bunch of different designs and see what the Encore works best with.

Boolit Buddy
    That Lee bullet seems to shoot well for many . Might have to give it a road test .

Look at the MP .432 Hammer or the MP 44-250. I have both, either will work very well for hunting. The .432 hammer is a little heavier than the 44-250. Both have large metplats.

I'm A Honcho!
    After a lot of trial and error...I can say that finding a good Plain Based 44 Magnum Full power load was challenging. I run these out of 4 x Handi rifles. 2 x Iron Sighted. and 2 scoped. These are my armageddon guns and every deer I killed last year I killed with this gun in the picture. That Bullet is the Zero Bullet CO 44 240 JFP and 25 grains of 300 MP. Dont spend a single dime on any other 44 Bullet. This is the best most accurate made. You will need to lube and size them down to .430 by running them through a Lee .429 die. After that...theres not a better more accurate 44 magnum bullet at any price. Expanded bullet is at 50 yards at 1790 FPS at the muzzle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3989.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	254822

Name:	IMG_3990.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	254823

Name:	IMG_3992.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	189.5 KB 
ID:	254824

I would say that the difference between molds and inherent accuracy comes down to chamber fit, sizing COAL to get touching the lands or pretty darn close.

I will list molds and links in order of the most accurate in my stable currently. This was so near and dear to me it started me Honchoing as what I felt I needed wasnt available.

1. 44 Hammer. 23.5 Grains of 300MP target is 50 yards. Holds to an inch or under at 100 yards consistently with a Plain Based 12-15 BHN

Name:	44 Hammer 1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	254814

Name:	44 Hammer 2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	254815

Name:	44 Hammer 3.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	254816

2. NOE 432-278 Keith SWC. 13.2 HS6 is a MOA load.

Name:	NOE1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	254818

3. MP Molds HG 503 Clone. 11.5 Unique is a MOA load. Runs fast enough for HPs to expand.

Name:	HG503 1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	254819

Name:	HG503 2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	254820

Name:	IMG_3387.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	254821
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Buddy
    To start with I'm going to stick with GC bullets in the rifle loads . Mainly because of the increased velocity out the longer tube . Alloy I'll have to play with once I find promising loads . PB I shoot in my revolvers as most loads don't exceed 1300fps . Since I have tons of them already cast , sized & lubed I'm also going to see how PB GC's will work out . If sucessful it'll definately save me some time .

USMC 77, USRA 79

sense you have the 1 in 20 twist, be a shame not to use the lee 310, but I understand... here is wishing I had one...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    Not against the Lee bullet just don't have a mould . They are cheap enough though .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by boatbum101 View Post
    To start with I'm going to stick with GC bullets in the rifle loads . Mainly because of the increased velocity out the longer tube . Alloy I'll have to play with once I find promising loads . PB I shoot in my revolvers as most loads don't exceed 1300fps . Since I have tons of them already cast , sized & lubed I'm also going to see how PB GC's will work out . If sucessful it'll definately save me some time .
    Good idea sticking with GC'd cast bullets in the 44 magnum rifle for max/optimum performance. I have found the Lyman Devastator [429640HP] when cast of an appropriate alloy for the velocity level is the best hunting bullet for the 44 magnum in either a handgun [revolver or SS] or rifle.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I'm with Larry Gibson on the 429640 hp Devastator it brings the actions of whitetail deer to an abrupt and definite hault.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Blue jay 75, will you tell us more about that rifle in the picture? What brand is it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'm A Honcho!
    That is a Handi Rifle. If you ever see a 44 Magnum, 357 unaltered or a 30-30....pick it up. It is a simple and accurate platform. Mine shoots jacketed and cast into the same ragged hole at 100 yards. It is cut to 17 inches and has a 4x 30mm scope illuminated on it.

If you have a HR or NEF shotgun...the frame will handle all three. Use the 30-30 at your own risk. I have one with 100 or so shots on an SB1 with no issues. Thats shooting remington green box corelokt 150 30-30.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.

The AAC logo threw me off- I saw one similar in .300 BO and it had that mark. Owning a Topper Jr. since 1972, I'm familiar with the basic action.

Boolit Master
    bluejay75 nice shooting and casting !
    Thanks for the data and pics.

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The AAC logo threw me off- I saw one similar in .300 BO and it had that mark. Owning a Topper Jr. since 1972, I'm familiar with the basic action.

When I got word that the company was on the verge of going under I bought 3x 300 BO handis for 209.99 each from Budsgunsshop and made the money back selling the barrels and got 3 strong frames for free.