Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 101 Cast in 357 Max ?'s

Boolit Buddy

101 Cast in 357 Max ?'s

Am considering this chambering . Barrel will be 20" , 1 in 16 twist . I currently shoot the LBT 180 WFNGC with soft blue lube . I'm curious how this will hold up to the increased velocity over 357 mag as it's substantial . I assume that hard like HT or linotype , gascheck & maybe a better lube . Am sure there's gonna be a learning curve as what works @ 1200 - 1500 fps might not @ 2000fps . Usual littany of magnum pistol powders along with the slower AA 1680 , RL 7 ,VVN-120 have also been mentioned . I can see the potential for one heck of a hunting cartridge , but possible pitfalls still have me on the fence . Even if I stick with 357 mag I still gain roughly 500fps with the longer tube over a 6.5" RBH . Suggestions , advice ?

Moderator Emeritus
    Do a search on 357 Max here and you will be reading for quite a while! It’s been around a while and lots of folks have played with it. Your bullet choice is a good one!

Boolit Grand Master
    You should be fine with that boolit. You should hit 2200fps with a 180, I would think.

Boolit Master
    I have had a T/C Carbine in 357 max for many years. It is possibly the most versatile close range (under 150 yards) caliber I have. You shouldn't need a very hard lead alloy to push that boolit all the way up to 2000 fps and even higher. I don't bother to push the GC'ed 200's that fast. At 1700 fps, it is more than adequate for bear up to 300# if I do my part. I back off the velocity down to 1350 with a 185 gr SWC-PB for deer with no leading problems using Alox. One of the reasons I backed off on loads to well below max is that in that ultra light carbine, the vibration (not recoil) is jarring. For plinking, I use a 150 gr RN-PB at 1200 fps which gives nice groups out to 100 yards. My lead alloy is 60% pure and 40% hard chilled lead birdshot which is hard enough for various rifle calibers yet soft enough to expand well. Both 2400 and Unique have prove useful in mine. One of the nice things about the 357 max in my carbine is that the barrel also likes 357 mag. brass and loads although they are a little less accurate plus requiring extra cleaning at days end. I have plenty of max brass but if 357 max brass is scarce, being able to use 357 mag keeps you shooting. I have never tried 38 specials but it is supposed to work too.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 01-15-2020 at 05:57 PM.