RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox

Thread: Snyder Carbine

Boolit Grand Master

Snyder Carbine

I just goe a Snydey Carbine from an OLD fellow who got it surplus in the 50's. The gun still has over 8-% original blue and the bore is just about perfect with only a couple of tiny blemishes. Included with the gun was a cartridge box of Kynoch loads and a few hand turned cases the old guy made himself. I broke down one of the Kynoch and it had 70 grains of what I would call 1 1/2 black powder and a 577 480 grain minie ball paper partched to 592 diameter and dipped in yellow grease. The tail on the paper patch is quite long and is folded and tucked into the hollow base. The minie itself is a thin skirt design measuring 50 thou at the bottom of the skirt and is a regular 3 band design. I got no mould with the gun and am going to try a 598 rb first and tehn maybe try paper patching a minie. The bore of the gun is 592 so I will have to see what works.

I have the old Kynoch loads but hate to pull them down and convert them to shotgun primers so I will try and find some 24 Ga brass shot shells to convert.

Now some questions...

Wads or filler

2F or 1 1/2F

Hot Primer necessary

What the heck are the two wood screws in the fore end for?

The old fellow gave 18 dollars for the gun, is my offer of $900 in line?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    I just goe a Snydey Carbine from an OLD fellow who got it surplus in the 50's. The gun still has over 8-% original blue and the bore is just about perfect with only a couple of tiny blemishes. Included with the gun was a cartridge box of Kynoch loads and a few hand turned cases the old guy made himself. I broke down one of the Kynoch and it had 70 grains of what I would call 1 1/2 black powder and a 577 480 grain minie ball paper partched to 592 diameter and dipped in yellow grease. The tail on the paper patch is quite long and is folded and tucked into the hollow base. The minie itself is a thin skirt design measuring 50 thou at the bottom of the skirt and is a regular 3 band design. I got no mould with the gun and am going to try a 598 rb first and tehn maybe try paper patching a minie. The bore of the gun is 592 so I will have to see what works.

I have the old Kynoch loads but hate to pull them down and convert them to shotgun primers so I will try and find some 24 Ga brass shot shells to convert.

Now some questions...

Wads or filler

2F or 1 1/2F

Hot Primer necessary

What the heck are the two wood screws in the fore end for?

The old fellow gave 18 dollars for the gun, is my offer of $900 in line?
    I shoot this SnIder cartridge using reformed 24 gauge CBC brass with black powder. Those cases only work with boxer large pistol primers, so no option for magnum rifle primers. I've used both 5/8" foam backer rod, and cream of wheat as fillers--good results with either. 1Fg or 2Fg Goex BP will shoot fine with some load development work.
    My experience with both bare and patched miniés was not so great, so now I use a .600" flat base 440 grain bullet from an X-Ring mold with good accuracy. Other SnIder shooters find round balls to be perfect in their guns.
    Btw, the wood screws anchor a leather rear sight cover, for cavalry use.

I have a J.C.Lord sporting rifle in which I load the CBE 480gn CCBB with great results at 50 yards. I load 65gns of Swiss No.1 black and 2 vegie wads over. These boolits are like a semi-wadcutter and cut nice neat holes in paper.

http://www.castbulletengineering.com...fle/577-snider

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks I will try to find a bullet mould soon and will start with round balls.

xringservices@yahoo.com will do you moulds and cases very reasonably priced and well thought of.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    2F or 1 1/2F . No. 1F for a caliber of that size
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Our local shop has no 1 F so I will try Old Elephant 2F as that is the slowest burning I have tried. I just shot a couple 500 grain bullets today with 70 grains of this and for fun shooting I think I will stick with a round ball. Accuracy wasn't terrible but more recoil than this old arthritic body finds fun. I did get a hold of x ring and have a mould on the way for the right bullet and I will then try 65 grains and the bullet with filler. I will admit this gun is a hoot to shoot and will go well with my old Webley Green.

Boolit Mold
    I followed most of the procedure that Rob from the BritishMuzzleLoaders YouTube channel presented and have had great success. He uses 62.5 grns of 3F and the x-ring services .600 bullet which also seems to work great in my rifle.

Just recently I began using a .600 expander plug that I picked up from VMA Leathers/Bromely Armaments which allows me to skip the fire forming with .577 mine ball step

https://www.vmaleather.com/Bromleypr...Catid=6&pid=21

Boolit Master
    i broke down some fiocchi plastic shells and cut to about 1.7" for .600 round ball over 50 graind of 3F black just for fun.

Boolit Grand Master

A Snyder a PH P61 and a Webley WG I am getting over loaded with Brit s#!T. Next thing you know I will have to get a pith helmet. I can't wait to get better weather and put the guns on paper.

Midway has 24ga brass hulls the last I looked.....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ballistic Products also has them in stock. They also have 12,16,20 28,32 and .410 brass shotshells in stock.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Br.../products/202/
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Snider dear boy. Snider.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry I was going by the tag on the gun. I will make amends and say three Hail Mary's. Mea Culpa.

Boolit Grand Master

My mold for the SNIDER came from x ring yesterday and it is a beauty and casts a perfect bullet from the get go. Delivery was super fast I'll bet they didn't even take the check to the bank before shipping. Meanwhile I did get to do a little off hand shooting with round balls and the gun is a real shooter. I was surprised that the recoil in that little carbine wasn't that bad and so far both of us who shot were hitting dead center and shooting decent groups. Now I am curious as to what I could do with a rifle! Darn, now I will need the pith helmet!

There's something cool about finger sized cartridges that wont tear your shoulder up!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

KCSO, could you use a .595" diameter push through sizer?