Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingPBcastco
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: OK to use acid core solder?

OK to use acid core solder?

I came across some acid core 40/60 solder. I am wondering if it's ok to throw this into the melt or will the acid core be a problem?
    Thanks

Boolit Master

I have used it with no problems. Flux well and stir up along the sides of the pot to be sure not to leave an acid deposit.

Boolit Grand Master

I would recommend letting it melt on top of the pot, the flux core becomes liquid and may cause a visit from the tinsel fairy if below the surface. The core is a flux so use it stir well scrap sides and bottom and stir bringing metal up thru the flux and then the flux down thru the metal.

You might consider sing it in small amounts just to flux. or in a big pot when smelting. If cut into lengths for fluxing re seal the end by dipping in the pot so the flux doesn't run out

Boolit Grand Master

I would hesitate to use it in my casting pot or to use it indoors. I have melted a lot of it in my smelting pot. It smokes and has obnoxious fumes. Every so often I will gather up all of my odd solder, pieces, partial rolls, ect and melt it all together and send off a sample to determine the % of tin.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I would hesitate to use it in my casting pot or to use it indoors. I have melted a lot of it in my smelting pot. It smokes and has obnoxious fumes. Every so often I will gather up all of my odd solder, pieces, partial rolls, ect and melt it all together and send off a sample to determine the % of tin.
    The acid is a flux in the solder. When melted it floats to the top and doesn't hurt the alloy one tiny bit. The heat from the melt will "cook it off" and you should have no residual acid left. I would avoid the fumes while this is going on. You don't want to inhale acid fumes...even though it is a mild form of acid.

Moderator Emeritus

Acid core flux:
    You will likely be promoting corrosion in any pot that you melt it in.

Flux core solder (acid core or rosin core):
    I offer this hint (from experience), if you are melting flux core solder wire and casting into ingots or coins for future use.
    >The first time I did this (10 lbs of wire), it was a mess, the flux turned to liquid and flowed to the side of the pot, then stuck there and smoked and smoked and a residue cooked on and became nearly impossible to remove, I threw the pot away.
    >The second time I did this (another 10 lb batch), I was quick with some saw dust when the flux turned to liquid, I sprinkled saw dust on the liquid flux before it migrated to the side of the pot. The saw dust absorbed the flux and I scooped it out quickly and easily...a much better solution than trying to cook it off.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    The acid is a flux in the solder. When melted it floats to the top and doesn't hurt the alloy one tiny bit. The heat from the melt will "cook it off" and you should have no residual acid left. I would avoid the fumes while this is going on. You don't want to inhale acid fumes...even though it is a mild form of acid.
    I agree, it won't hurt the alloy. I'm worried about the pot and ladle.

Boolit Buddy
    You should also worry about anything the fumes condense on. Worry about it migrating to the iron moulds. I use powdered rosin or Marvelux, even plain paraffin is kinder to our tools. Acid core is corrosive for a reason, it bares the metal to a new surface. A burnt on residue is only waiting for the humid day to become a liquid acid again. Never use acid core on parts that corrosion over time is an issue. Most of the companies I worked for learned the hard way....

Thanks to all
    I will go by the route of caution based on the responses
    I think I will just pass on the acid core solder. It's only one roll and not worth the fumes or risk of ruining my casting tools.

Boolit Master