Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: méplat question on Saeco mold

Boolit Master

méplat question on Saeco mold

on another thread I asked the méplat size on the Saeco #433 mold

well I found it, it is .270

is this good for hunting?

Moderator Emeritus

One might reply (with a smile), "depends what you're hunting." I have this mould, casting with a fairly hard alloy with gas check applied. I had acquired a Uberti 1866 clone in .44 Remington Mag calibre, and this bullet shoots quite well. Redding/SAECO marketing it as a "silhouette" bullet prompted my purchase it, and it is (for me) quite repeatably accurate.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAECO 433.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	254755
    Looking from the viewpoint of a critter, I would think having ~300 grains of lead coming my way would surely be something to avoid! Frankly -- mostly because my Uberti is too heavy for me to schlep in woods, hunting, I have exclusively used it at target range.
    That said, I wouldn't be too hesitant to employ it on a hunt -- it surely is accurate!
    BEST! (Je vous souhaite tous mes meilleurs vœux)
    geo

Boolit Master
    merci Geo. a vs aussi

I choose this bullet with not to wide méplat because it has a better bc than the bullet with a super wide méplat and it would keep better velocity down range

will be hunting moose

do you shoot silhouette ?

Boolit Grand Master

How far is 'downrange'? I'd guess, and it is a guess, that you would have to go over 200yds to see any difference in the two bullets.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by canuck4570 View Post
    merci Geo. a vs aussi

I choose this bullet with not to wide méplat because it has a better bc than the bullet with a super wide méplat and it would keep better velocity down range

will be hunting moose

do you shoot silhouette ?
    Bon jour! Back when I was much younger and had two working legs I ventured in the "silhouette" arena for, if I recall correctly, but one summer -- but this was a pistol league. They shot rim-fire and centre-fire, and I had bought an Anschutz Kadett .22 for the rim-fire, and -- like several others not owning a suitable centre-fire handgun, also shot it in that course. Parallel was a few in the (long gun) bench rest crowd -- most had either moved to warmer climes or expired -- so a ram, chicken, pig, and another steel critter (I forgot?) -- were set up on 4" x 4"s along the 100-yard line for those so interested. Bion, one fellow actually did quite well -- better than me, at least -- with his handgun versus my rifle. The good old days....
    Re moose, I allllmost hit one with my truck on a fishing trip some years back, and recall being stunned at its size! It resembled a horse on steroids, indeed being a big one! A close friend who is a Canada hunting guide uses a .22 rimfire for his deer harvest -- "Greg" (his Anglo name) claims it's exclusively about where you place the bullet.
    geo

Boolit Master
    probably but on LAX there was a article on heavy for 44 magnum that said that the penetration was better
    due to the small méplat and since a moose is quit larger than deer penetration would be better, yes maybe less destructive but better penetration

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Going back through Keith's early writings and the evolution of his experimental bullets, suggests that a meplat which is 0.6 of the bullet diameter is satisfactory and a good compromise between "crush" and aerodynamics.

About 0.7 of the bullet diameter, as used in black powder era bullets in cartridges like the .44-40, is ideal to achieve some expansion with soft alloys at black powder velocities at short range, within 200 yards, that distance being considered "short" rifle range in the infantry sense.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Bon jour! Back when I was much younger and had two working legs I ventured in the "silhouette" arena for, if I recall correctly, but one summer -- but this was a pistol league. They shot rim-fire and centre-fire, and I had bought an Anschutz Kadett .22 for the rim-fire, and -- like several others not owning a suitable centre-fire handgun, also shot it in that course. Parallel was a few in the (long gun) bench rest crowd -- most had either moved to warmer climes or expired -- so a ram, chicken, pig, and another steel critter (I forgot?) -- were set up on 4" x 4"s along the 100-yard line for those so interested. Bion, one fellow actually did quite well -- better than me, at least -- with his handgun versus my rifle. The good old days....
    Re moose, I allllmost hit one with my truck on a fishing trip some years back, and recall being stunned at its size! It resembled a horse on steroids, indeed being a big one! A close friend who is a Canada hunting guide uses a .22 rimfire for his deer harvest -- "Greg" (his Anglo name) claims it's exclusively about where you place the bullet.
    geo
    at least you can say like Elmer Keith. I WAS THERE.
    I wish there would be a silhouette club around
    I remember a certain Bandahan that shot silhouette at St-Bruno with a contender pistol in 44 magnum