Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Lyman 55 reservoir

Boolit Bub

Lyman 55 reservoir

This is probably a novice issue with an easy fix, but I'm not figuring it out.

I have a couple of Lyman 55 powder drops I got in a lot of equipment a while back. Both of the clear reservoirs are stained from use.

One of them screws off. Easy enough, I ordered a new one through Lyman. It came with no threads, but a groove cut around the circumference. No biggie, I'll see if I can clean this one up or use it as is even though it's pretty heavily stained.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman 55-1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	254743

The other has no threads and won't come out. I can turn it, but even pulling on it it won't come out. I'm assuming it has the same groove around the circumference and some kind of detent or something (I don't see a set screw of any kind).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman 55-2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	254744

Any ideas/tricks on getting this thing out? I'm assuming I'm missing something easy.

As a side note, I got them all cleaned up (they apparently sat for quite a while) and they are smooth as can be. Looking forward to putting them to good use.

Boolit Master

They only made them with or without threads. The ones without are a very tight fit. Try putting the body into a vise and then you can pull on the reservoir.

Good luck.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Grand Master
    Buffalo Arms used to sell a very nice brass reservoir for the earlier, screw-in type. It was enough longer (taller) that it held about a pound of black powder... handy when loading those big boomers for BPCS. I’ve heard of people heating one of the newer un-threaded plastic reservoirs then screwing it into the body of an old style measure, letting the threads be cut as it’s installed. I haven’t tried it myself, but if you heat that plastic just right it should work.

You have probably discovered by now that the un-threaded version just snaps in, but because of age and brittleness, it may well break or crack coming out. If it’s so bad it needs replacing, that shouldn’t be a problem. The new one should press in with a little effort and make a solid fit.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Have four of them, older one are like yours, the newest must use a different plastic as it is still clear.

Boolit Master
    The reservoir for the Lyman black powder measure is threaded and fits the early 55 measures.It is aluminum.The Buffalo Arms item is brass.

Boolit Bub
    Appreciate the info guys! I was half afraid to pull the one too much for fear of breaking it, but I guess if I do then I have a replacement on hand.

I had wondered about cutting the threads somehow. Didn't think about heating. May give that a try to see how it works.

Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master

The threaded ones arnt bad to replace with a new one. The press in ones I suspect were pushed in with the body heated forming a size for size fit and binding from the heat. This was a manufacturers way of installing plastic parts into metal or metal inserts into plastic. When replacing the press ins it unusual to not break the old one.

When I have to make a new hopper for a measure. I look for pyrex tubes if that cant be found in the needed size or one an adapter can be turned up for, then I go to Online metals.com and use brass tubing for the hopper. The pyrex is harder to work with and cut to size the brass is easy to work with and makes a nice hopper. I did one brass hopper with a 1" slot in the front and a piece of clear tubing pushed inside to seal the slot and ends.looks good allows powder level to be seen.

Boolit Master
    I discovered years ago that Lyman had gone to the snap in reservoir by ordering the part.I cut threads on the replacement part on a lathe and used the part.Just have to be careful not to crush the reservoir in the chuck jaws.I haven't had to replace the snap in style yet.An Email to Lyman would probably get their recommendation.

Powder Hopper

All my 55's have screw in hoppers. On one, it has a thicker walled hopper than the other two. I think this on is an older one. The two with thinner walled hoppers I assume are a cost cutting venture,
    Any way two are very dark. I can't see the powder level through them. One is still clear enough.
    I was shopping on Ebay and found a seller that had a universal type clear hopper. They are about 12 inches long and came with a soft red plastic or rubber top cap.
    I don't recall the seller but I think the hoppers were around $12. I bought two.
    They are the same outside diameter as the 55 hoppers. I tried the heat up and thread in deal. I was a no go. They tended to not thread in and bulged just above were I was trying to thread them in.
    On the one with the thicker walled hopper I thought about using my Dremmel tool to grind out the threads enough so the new hoppers would be a press fit. Even if I had to "glue" them in with something that would be ok.
    Another option would be to take one of the old hoppers and turn down a section just above the threaded part about a 1/2 inch or so. then cut it off. If done right the new hopper would be a snug press fit onto the old hopper.
    This would give me a clear hopper that would still thread in.
    The new hoppers I could leave the full 12 inches long or cut them to what even length I wanted.
    I thought I could cut one into two pieces, one about 4 inches, the other about 8 inches. Use these in two of my three 55's and the 12 inch long hopper in my third 55. this would give my three options on hopper capacity.
    When loading larger rifle cases I use the longest hopper. On smaller cases I use the 8 inch hopper. On pistol loads with light charges I would use the 4 inch hopper.
    Just a few thoughts on how I plan on using the new clear hoppers I bought.
    Leo
    Last edited by 44magLeo; 01-13-2020 at 04:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Oh, Mine are all orange by the way.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    The threaded black powder measure reservoir is $20.27 from Lyman.Made of aluminum.It holds a pound of powder.

Boolit Master

Not sure if this might help anybody, but a company sells Pyrex tubes is Dramworx. I just recently ordered one for my Redding. My Lyman is new old stock with a crystal clear tube.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Your wasting your money for Dramworx tubes. I ordered (non threaded) polycarbonate tubing for a couple old Herters from Small Parts ... 24" for 10 bucks plus shipping https://www.amazon.com/Polycarbonate..._dp&th=1&psc=1
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy

"The other has no threads and won't come out. I can turn it, but even pulling on it it won't come out. I'm assuming it has the same groove around the circumference and some kind of detent or something (I don't see a set screw of any kind)."

You have to snap it across it your leg like your breaking a stick. It just pops apart.

My old Redding has 1-1/4” PVC pipe as a resevoir. It holds way more powder than I ever use in a session so it has stayed. Once a farmer......

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Why not just use it as it is , the staining hurts nothing . I wouldn't replace it if it's not broken. I have several that are stained , not much trouble to pop the top off to check the powder level . I treat my vintage loading equipment the same as I do a vintage gun and only replace original parts when I absolutely have to .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Why not just use it as it is , the staining hurts nothing . I wouldn't replace it if it's not broken. I have several that are stained , not much trouble to pop the top off to check the powder level . I treat my vintage loading equipment the same as I do a vintage gun and only replace original parts when I absolutely have to .
    I have been so far. I like to be able to see how much powder is in there and if I need to top off or anything. Plus a bit of me just being particular.

Boolit Master

When I seat the last bullet in a batch, I empty the PM.
    Forgot to do it once on My first progressive, that TiteGroup is BAD JuJu.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Your wasting your money for Dramworx tubes. I ordered (non threaded) polycarbonate tubing for a couple old Herters from Small Parts ... 24" for 10 bucks plus shipping https://www.amazon.com/Polycarbonate..._dp&th=1&psc=1
    Thank you sir, appreciate it.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar