Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: Lucas spray on tacky lube

Banned

Lucas spray on tacky lube

The wife and I went to Tractor Supply today and while I was browsing around, I saw this stuff. Comes in an aerosol can, says you spray it on hard to reach places and it dries fast (no idea what "dry" means in this case). The stuff was $9 a can, no idea how many bullets you could spray with it, bit I had to kind of wonder if setting out a bunch of tumble lube bullets and spraying them with this stuff would work as bullet lube? Seems I recall the Lucas red lube is a primary ingredient in Ben's Red.

I'm not exactly in need of any bullet lube and am happy with the stuff I'm using, but I am curious. Might have to get a can of it and try it out.

Banned

This is the stuff I'm talking about.

https://lucasoil.com/lucas-oil-news/...ication-method

Boolit Master

I thought from the headline you were talking about what as loggers we called tacky lube and I have seen it in a can its open gear lube the stuff we used back then came in a caulk tube and you heated it over exhaust pipe before putting on gears as they turned , heck give it a try and let us know how it works.

Boolit Master

I`m with FLINTNFIRE, I had to read this thread when I read Tacky Lube.
    The tacky lube he speaks of is the blackest, stickiest, heavy grease you have ever seen.
    It was impossible to wash out of your clothes.
    It was used to lube open gears on yarders and log loading shovels.
    Sorry for the drift....dale

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    ... and it dries fast (no idea what "dry" means in this case).
    >>>SNIP
    Where did it say that?
    That isn't mentioned in the manufacturers info you Linked to.

How might it work as a boolit lube?
    I've heard of a few people that have lubed boolits with Lithium grease only and while messy to handle during loading ammo and smoky/stinky when shooting and will likely slime up a revolver with greasy soot, it reportedly worked fine. I suspect the spray-on grease by Lucas will work the same.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Regular Red-N-Tacky Lithium grease suspended in an aerosol carrier and placed in a spray can , spray it on , the carrier evaporates and it leaves behind a film of grease ... Sounds like it could be very useful for garage door tracks , auto hood and door hinges .
    I'm not sure how "dry" the film of grease will get but I can see a lot of applications , more auto , boat , home and RV use than cast boolit lubing...but who knows.
    I have always liked the Lucas R-N-T product and liked spray on motorcycle chain lube , sounds like a useful product . I'll look for some .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I use a spray on wire rope and gear lube on the joints of the lift arms. Messiest stuff ever, stains don't wash out at all. The lucas red and tacky red colored grease I also use on both the Kubota L3800 and my sears riding lawn mower. Sticky as heck and eventually the grease will wash out. The grease comes in the 14 oz tubes we all Have come to know.I have a set of ramps for the riding lawn mower too fat to get under it to grease everything. But grease goes everywhere so stick a couple rags on my chest when doing the front end. Frank

Boolit Master
    Ive got some hard black open gear lube in drums.....its a nuisance to use because it has to be chiselled out in a lump and either heated ,or dissolved in gasoline......Its also a disappointment IMHO,because it leaves shiny spot on the gears ,its simply pushed out of the contact area.Maybe it would be better as wire rope lube........Its pretty old stock,and most old industrial lubes had powder lead and graphite in them ,so it might lead barrels without even trying......some lubes had 20% lead content.

Boolit Grand Master

I think it might work for light/low pressure loads like 38 Specials (I tried AMSOIL on some 38 loads, worked). But application? Lay some bullets on a piece of wax paper or alum foil and spray? Then handling them would be reallllly messy. And as mentioned above, pretty dirty shooting. I would pass on this application!

There are other spray on greases available and pretty common; Lucas, Blaster lithium, CRC, and not the "open gear" type "tar"...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Where did it say that?
    That isn't mentioned in the manufacturers info you Linked to.

How might it work as a boolit lube?
    I've heard of a few people that have lubed boolits with Lithium grease only and while messy to handle during loading ammo and smoky/stinky when shooting and will likely slime up a revolver with greasy soot, it reportedly worked fine. I suspect the spray-on grease by Lucas will work the same.
    Said it on the can.

I have lubed bullets with ordinary automotive bearing grease by smearing some on the bearing surface of the bullet before seating, worked fine. Only did it for slow stuff, and didn't wait long between loading and shooting.

I have a can of Chain Wax, a motorcycle chain lube somewhere, it's supposed to dry and be non tacky and resist fling off. I didn't care fo it as chain lube, always used motor oil in an oil can to lube each link. Might try that chain wax and see.

I’ve used aerosol chain lube/wax for my 310 Cadet and it works just fine.
    If it’s similar to that then it may be worth a try if you can buy it on sale.

Sounds like it might work as a case lube, like Hornady One Shot.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Master
    I have the Red N Tacky spray at home. It doesn't dry. You wouldn't want grease to dry anyway.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken