Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Developing lads with new Brass for 45-100

Boolit Buddy

Developing lads with new Brass for 45-100

Anyone develop loads using new unfired FL sized neck expanded brass, or is it necessary to use fireformed brass. Question 2, do you seat the bullet using slip fit in fired brass with no sizing or do you neck size?

Boolit Grand Master

I load for a 45-90. with new brass I size to make sure its round and right expand to a slip fit load and hand seat the bullet. I then set the neck tension with a bushing die. In fired brass I clean prime charge compress with wad stack and hand seat bullet again setting a light neck tension with the bushing die. I also anneal new brass and lightly trim before the first loading.

Boolit Master
    This is basically what I do with new brass in my match rifles:
    - anneal the brass
    - size the brass the absolute minimum amount to get it to chamber. It might not need any sizing at all.
    - If the bullet is a nice slip fit ( can't wiggle it at all when inserted into case mouth ) then I'd shoot them with a slip fit.
    - if the bullets are a sloppy fit, size the cases as little as possible to make for a slip fit, or size them with the die backed out 3 or so turns and use an expander that is 0.001" under bullet diameter.

There won't likely be a much difference in how new brass shoots verses fire-formed. If the chamber is not very tight then the case might hold a grain or two more after fire-forming. That is something you'll just have to play with.

Chris.