RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Anybody Using Lanolin In Your Minie Lube?

Anybody Using Lanolin In Your Minie Lube?

Any you guys using lanolin in your minie lube?
    Made any difference for you?

Yeah, poured up a few new cakes of beeswax/lard lube and added a big spoon full from the wool drippings bucket to find out.

Reckon will try it out on lubed lube BP cartridges too. Got a new piece of 1/8" hard felt to stamp more "gaskets" out of.

Boolit Grand Master

I use emmerts improved in my BPCR rifles. 50% beeswax 40% crisco 5% canola oil and 5% lanolin. Works very well for me. Your minnies should carry a lot more lube in the grooves. A simple lard or crisco lanolin mix might allow bullets to be lubed with a pass thru style pump even.

Banner Sponsor

I put a very large amount of Lanolin in my BP-01 Black Powder lube.
    I got the recipe from a gentleman in Switzerland who said that he could get 30 shots out of his muzzle loader without cleaning inbetween and still have good accuracy with an easy cleanup afterwards. This sounded way too good to be true, so I made a small batch and tried it in my 45-70 sharps. I shot 15 rounds without using a blow tube or wet patching and the fouling stayed soft and was easy to cleanup afterwards.
    So... after obtaining permission, we now offer it in our webstore.

https://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?...g4uckuogehnre1

Boolit Master

+1 on Emmert's Improved. All of my BPCR boolits...for use with either BP or smokeless...are pan-lubed with Emmert's. I have found, however, that adding just a touch of Murphy's Oil Soap to the mix seems to make for a smoother blend.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    I put a very large amount of Lanolin in my BP-01 Black Powder lube.
    I got the recipe from a gentleman in Switzerland who said that he could get 30 shots out of his muzzle loader without cleaning inbetween and still have good accuracy with an easy cleanup afterwards. This sounded way too good to be true, so I made a small batch and tried it in my 45-70 sharps. I shot 15 rounds without using a blow tube or wet patching and the fouling stayed soft and was easy to cleanup afterwards.
    So... after obtaining permission, we now offer it in our webstore.

https://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?...g4uckuogehnre1
    That's pretty much what I found with my LOOB (lanolin, olive oil, beeswax) recipe.
    The amounts get juggled a bit with different batches and I may use adjuncts to suit the shooting to be done but much lanolin is the way to go.
    Got high hopes for this LLB (lard, lanolin, beeswax) with minies. Made it softer than the usual LOOB. Planning on using it with revolver wads too.

Boolit Bub
    I need a lube that can pan lube, as well as act as a lube cookie for paper patched boolits. I have beeswax, deer tallow, anhydrous lanolin, and can swipe some olive oil from the pantry. After reading through the threads, it seems that a combo of beeswax, tallow, lanolin is a good place to start, but some advice is appreciated. Not sure on the ratios for both intended uses. I'm assuming the pan lube should be softer than the lube cookie mix. Measuring should be by volume? Mass of each item is different, so measuring by weight would skew the results, no?

Boolit Master

50/50 beeswax Crisco always worked well for me for pan lubing, but I think adding a bit of lanolin wold make it stick better to the bullets as I usually had a few that the lube fell out of the groove.

It does not take much lanolin to make a lube tacky enough to stick to the bullets well. I use 2-3 shot glass measures full to ten pounds of lube. More does not hurt as quantities of any of the components is not critical.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Bub
    K, thanks. Went to Goodwill and got a couple odds and ends to melt and blend.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by soflarick View Post
    Measuring should be by volume? Mass of each item is different, so measuring by weight would skew the results, no?
    As all of the ingredients are just different forms oil and knowing that each will float on water the specific gravity of all the ingredients is very close to each other so just ignore the slightl differences in densities.

To simplify the measurements I used a kitchen gram weight scale and proportioned each ingredient by weight.
    Be sure to record each ingredient and the weight used so your recipe can be duplicated in the future or if modifications are needed to adjust the mixture for changes in outside temperature or for the style of lube application.