Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Load: 45-70 405 gr cast @ 1300 fps --->European smokeless Powder?

Boolit Buddy
    Wow, I wonder, was that boolit tumbling when it hit?

Boolit Master

Well
    The bullet worked
    ALL the energy was transmitted to the pig
    No one down range was in harms way
    I like it
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master
    Bouteselle,
    At 1500 fps, I'd harden that bullet a little. 1500 fps is plenty to take game well. Good looking bullet, by the way.

Hog did not know what hit it.

First, I shot this pig in a vineyard, and thinking back on it, perhaps the boolit hit some kind of a wire, or a branch just before reaching the pig. This would explain why the boolit didn't enter so much.
    I'll post the pic of the only hole.

Second, I have a batch of 1/16 alloy, which I make use of to cast Gould bullets. I'll give it a try with 45-405, but I doubt it.
    My rifle likes .459" sized boolits, and when cast with 1/16 alloy, Gould doesn't work, as they are .457" diameter. Still cast with pure lead, they work roughly, as they come out .458", so they can bump up with black powder, we'll see what happens.

A few weeks ago, I missed an Accurate mold, 46-405 on ebay. Unfortunately I was broke at this time, now I bite my fingers.

I'll post you a pic of a pig I shot a few months ago, same rifle, same load, same alloy. At about ten yards, I've been surprised because the pig popped right out of the bush, so the boolit entered a little in the back. It came through, and the exit hole was about the size of my finger, so very little expansion. The boar ran 30 yards as if nothing had happened, and gave up the ghost. Of course, I never retrieved the bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    If you are looking for a new mould for 45/70 I can recommend the MP molds 462-420 comes wth pins for hollow base and plain base bullets
    was designed for the Marlin 45/70 https://i1.wp.com/www.mp-molds.com/w...64%2C264&ssl=1

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Monsieur Sanglier died hard! My hat is off to you, shooting pigs on the run is difficult at best.

The shield is no laughing matter. I once put a full length 2514 with a 175 grain Rothaar Snuffer in one about that size and ended up with equal amounts of arrow sticking out both sides. As it was shot out of a 92 lb. bow I was shocked at not getting an easy pass through.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Didn't know MP molds, they look great, and cheap, it's worth trying. I've mostly always bought used molds (but as new), just for a matter of money. I always keep an eye out on Ebay (and others), which allows me to have plenty, and rare ones.

That was no feat of mine! It got out easy, while they usually rush out like dang ducks out of a hailstorm!

The 462-420 from MP is a very good bullet in 45-70 (and others) I got the .460" version so I don't have to size as much. What is nice is the hollowpoint selection with it. With the 1-30 alloy the shallow dish would likely even be large enough for some decent expansion. Getting a 2 cavity keeps the price (and weight) down.

I have no doubt about it, the load works. I tested it at 200 yards, and of course with iron sight, all shots spread within a big hand area. I haven't shot much on the bench, it kicks like a mule, the buttplate is pure murder.
    I reckon the bullet barely touched something before hitting the pig. Pretty much the same thing happened two years ago: three boars were running like hell through a vineyard, and they went past me ten yards away.
    As I shot my one and only round with the little Garrett Sharps, I heard "Boiinnggg", and the boars were running even faster... The Lyman 457193, pushed by 70grs of Swiss black powder hit a thick metal pole. It was the luckiest pig on earth... with the 1886 it would have been stone cold dead!

It makes sense the bullets grazed something to make it turn, probably a piece of wire or something resilient. A piece of brush, grass or a twig likely is not going to affect a bullet that size very much. either way the bullet did the job sideways.

Its very interesting the tale a recovered boolit can tell. My first impression was it hit something and tumbled especially since I saw the vineyard with wire. My guess is you have no issues with your recipes and mix as you have had success with other kills. At this point I think its boils down to an interesting story in the path of a boolit!
    Last edited by nccaster77; 03-01-2020 at 01:35 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Many thanks to all of you!
    You gave me a lot of information and advice. Now I cant't answer to everybody personally but I want to pick out a few things.

One question was, why I do plan using such heavy bullets in the 400 gr range?
    The only reason is, that twist rate should be better for the heavy ones, than the 300 gr boolits.

A few gave the advice to use the Lyman Gould boolit. It should be around 330 grains if I remember it correctly.
    For sure that's a very good boolit, but: I've read a lot of articles about hollow point bullets and that it is not very easy to make them perform the way It should do. Many of the writers claim, that sometimes they explode in the animals when shot very close and sometimes the do not expand if the range is too far. So It would be better to use a WFN bullet, that performs more uniform. And if this one mushroomes a litte bit at close range, that's no problem.

Thank you for the Vihtavuori Powder recommendations. But 1500 fps is too much for my application. And the given powders are quite slow. So I am a little bit afraid of lots of unburnt powder in the barrel... because gas pressure is so low...

My gut feeling says: Better use a faster one, like 5744 (Lovex D060) or Unique.

The last days I melded the Airgun pelltes into ingots. The tin is ordered and in a few days/weeks we will start casting the first bullets for another rifle.
    So I have a litte bit time left to find the proper mold.
    The advice with MP-Molds is very interesting, thanks!

Boolit Mold
    Hey guys,

this ist not 45-70, but my first try in bullet casting as a preparation für my 45-70 projekt.
    A friend of mine did with me some bullet casting this weekend. Here in Germany we have 21:30 PM and our weekend ist almost over.
    These are 170 gr .321 bullets for the old "8,15x46R Schützen Rifle".
    Made of 20-1 alloy the mold dropped them at .322. Sized to .321 and lubed with selfmade 60/40 beeswax/vaseline.

I need your advice: The lube is quite sticky and in some grooves there are really small spots without lube. Is this a problem?
    Would you give 2/1 (=66/33) a try to make the lube a little bit harder? Or ist this result prober lubing?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200613_190655.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	263579 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200614_211845.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	263580

Boolit Master

Hello
    No the spots are not an issue
    What action do you have for the 8.15?
    Mine is a Swiss Martini
    Are these loaded rounds for hunting or target?
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Looks good as far as the loob i try to make sure its even maybe its not that important but im picky.
    A heavier bullet is more effecent in shorter bbls like a guide gun. I like h322 just takes a lot of pressure to get it to burn without leaving granules in the bbl of my bfr
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Hello
    No the spots are not an issue
    Thank you for your help!

What action do you have for the 8.15?
    Mine is a Swiss Martini
    The action is an "Aydt Feuerstutzen" from Suhl, Germany.

Are these loaded rounds for hunting or target?
    Mike
    These bullets are made for target shooting at 100 m.
    But I am a hunter and maybe I will try to shoot a roe deer this winter with that rifle.
    I'm curious to test their terminal performance... meplat is not big... I dont know if it's a good hunting bullet.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    Looks good as far as the loob i try to make sure its even maybe its not that important but im picky.
    A heavier bullet is more effecent in shorter bbls like a guide gun. I like h322 just takes a lot of pressure to get it to burn without leaving granules in the bbl of my bfr
    The problem is: I am picky, too!
    How can i get rid of these spots?
    Harder lube? Tried more pressure on my Lymen 4500 Sizer and Lubricator, but it didn' help. Well, de spots are really small, but they exist on some bullets.

I pan or hand lube dont own a lubersizer but looks like you got air trapped more experienced people here will be able to help you there id say warm up your lube. I dont think it is enough to throw it out of balance
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Quote Originally Posted by Bouteselle View Post
    First, I shot this pig in a vineyard, and thinking back on it, perhaps the boolit hit some kind of a wire, or a branch just before reaching the pig. This would explain why the boolit didn't enter so much.
    I'll post the pic of the only hole.

Second, I have a batch of 1/16 alloy, which I make use of to cast Gould bullets. I'll give it a try with 45-405, but I doubt it.
    My rifle likes .459" sized boolits, and when cast with 1/16 alloy, Gould doesn't work, as they are .457" diameter. Still cast with pure lead, they work roughly, as they come out .458", so they can bump up with black powder, we'll see what happens.

A few weeks ago, I missed an Accurate mold, 46-405 on ebay. Unfortunately I was broke at this time, now I bite my fingers.

I'll post you a pic of a pig I shot a few months ago, same rifle, same load, same alloy. At about ten yards, I've been surprised because the pig popped right out of the bush, so the boolit entered a little in the back. It came through, and the exit hole was about the size of my finger, so very little expansion. The boar ran 30 yards as if nothing had happened, and gave up the ghost. Of course, I never retrieved the bullet.

Can you share some of your loads ? I'm using VV n120 an 130 but didn't do a lot of tests in this caliber and I'm going to start since ranges are reopening,
    I own a 350gr HP/400gr flat nose mold and I just received a 514gr HP mold
    Do you prefer hollow point or flat nose to hunt with ?

Btw I'm also from south of france !

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast