Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: BHN for 7mm Mauser Bullets

BHN for 7mm Mauser Bullets

I have a RCBS 7MM 168gr mould. It's throwing bullets that with GC and lube at about 180gr. The BHN I tested was right around 20. 1st question is how do I get my melt (which is scrounged WW) to throw lighter bullets? I can't find load data for a 180gr 7mm bullet. To go with that question, is 20 BHN good for a rifle bullet? I'm mostly going to shoot paper and steel with velocities about 1800fps.

Boolit Buddy
    Hello, first a question for you, what mold are you using? I have several old cast bullet manuals on the shelf and will see what load infomation can be located for you.

About lightening the bullet, it can be done by changing your alloy. Per the RCBS Cast Bullet manual #1, 1986, a mold designed for Linotype (printers lead) and cast in WW lead would run around 8.7 grains higher for a 177 grain design. So the first solution to address your issue would be to cast a few and weigh them cast from Linotype. The same book also indicated that on a .28 caliber cast bullet the diameter would be smaller by .0006" (half a thou).

Please post a reply to this thread with your mold information. Thank you, Mark

Boolit Buddy
    Hit the buttons too fast and did not read your post correctly, you stated the mold info. Page #59 has the load data you need. I'll get a picture up here once my camera is charged up. Gives a better pic than my phone. Also, according to this 1986 manual RCBS, the alloy used was 1:10.

Boolit Grand Master
    20 BHN is very hard for WW alloy, it should be around 12 BHN. Adding antimony will reduce weight and increase diameter. Type metal is an easy source of antimony.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

This is a pretty handy table for determining 'as-cast' & 'after sized' sizes of your casts.

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Thank you so much. My problem is That I have scrounged lead from all over and then got a melting pot going on an outside fire and threw it all in. I just started casting for rifle bullets but have done pistol for many years. For pistol bullets I don't care what they come out with for weight. My loads are light for Cowboy Shooting. I bought the Lee BHN to test hardness now for the rifles.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use an alloy that tests around 16 BHN for several rifle calibers, all are gas check design. All these are fired at 1600 to 1800 fps., group well, and no leading. Again, 20 BHN is a very high reading for WW alloy, I suspect you either have a higher antimony content than WW alloy, or you need to perfect your testing method.

I use the Lee hardness tester, and I've only seen 20 BHN from WW alloy after quenching from the mould or heat treating.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Buddy
    Here is load data....

Attachment 254799

Boolit Master

For my hunting boolits I used 50%WW&50%Lead with 2% tin added. Used this for 22 Cal. up to 45 Cal.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I have always had a difficult time using my Lee hardness tester. 20 BHN sounds pretty hard to me too. Try checking it again if you want to be sure what BHN you have.

Thank you for the load data. I rechecked my BHN with a caliper and they are 17. I had a time with the Lee gizmo.