MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxPBcastco
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Load Data

View Poll Results: From these scope brands, which is best for money?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Barra

0 0%
  • Bushnell

14 8.97%
  • Nikon

16 10.26%
  • Vortex

27 17.31%
  • Leupold

67 42.95%
  • Weaver

11 7.05%
  • Burris

21 13.46%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rifle scopes, the good, bad and ugly

When I started in early 60s I bought Weaver Ks. Mostly they held up and were cheaper than RF and Leuopld. I ended up with some RFs and Leupolds on trades. When Weaver sold I started buying Leupolds. Due to bad experiences with varibles I only buy straight powers. I have rifles that are 50yrs old that had a new Weaver K on them since. Still clear and holding 0.

I have one of the old Weaver K4 models on my old Winchester 72A rifle. It has been on there 40 years now. I have not needed to adjust the impact point on it since I first sighted it in.

+1 on the El Paso K Weavers. I have three K4, two K6, and a K10

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    +1 on the El Paso K Weavers. I have three K4, two K6, and a K10

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Ironically I recently obtained a Weaver K series 4x9x40. Ordered and installed full Weaver pic. base. Will sight in soon and post. Thank everybody for taking the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

A couple of things to check.

Rings tight?

Base tight? Front base screws to long interfering/binding the bolt?

Try some proven ammo that has worked in the past of try the ammo you have in another proven rifle.

Do a box test with your scope once you get the rifle to print somewhat.

Last few scopes (Leupold) I've picked up cheap at fun shows have gone back to the factory on the following Monday for a general check up service and reticle change.

Since 308 is in short supply suddenly overnight, try a Fed 210M, 42.0 of I'M 4895 and a Sierra or Hornady 168. It generally shoots good in any 308 I've tried it in. Good luck running it down.

Boolit Master
    had 2 tascos fail on my 308 ,cross hairs broke on one started to rotate on the other.

I notice that a member just sold several Weaver K model scopes pretty quickly on S&S. Great minds think alike.......

Boolit Buddy
    All our working rifles here wear Leupolds. Mainly VX1 2-7's. They are priced right, the optics are good enough, and they stay where they're put. I don't know about the warranty, because in spite of years of hard use, we've never had to send one back.

I don't expect scopes priced like a VX1 to perform like a Swarovski, so I have no complaints.

If your a scope shooter then put a good scope on it. A rifle is only as good as the glass you put on it. I learned long ago, buy once and be done with it. You might go through several low priced scopes before you have one that holds up.
    I favor the Shepherd Scope and the Springfield Armory, I have a second generation on one that is going on 30 years as well as the Shepherd, Redfield that is going on 50 years as well as a couple Weavers.
    If your a varmint hunter, the Shepherd and Springfield is tough to beat with the reticles they have for ranging if you know your target size.

Buying new I feel safe going with Leupold. It may not be the most expensive but more than enough, especially for off the rack rifles they are putting out now. I’ve a couple hi dollar German Scopes but I don’t think they are any better than Leupold, but they are 30yrs old too. Buying cheap glass is a waste of time and money.

I don't know if Springfield still offers this scope or not. It was designed for the M-14 7.62 caliber rifle shooting the 168 gr Sierra match king bullet.
    I use this on my 700 Rem Varmint Synthetic and use it for prairie dogs and when you bracket a dog it gets hit. The only problem with the 168 gr bullet it gets squarely around 800 yards so I use the 175 gr. I have tested this scope with the brackets out to a known 1000 yard target and you hold it on it gets hit without changing the elevation, just hold on and fire.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...jaxhist=0&vt=0
    https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...jaxhist=0&vt=0

Boolit Master
    First, all scopes are something of a crap-shoot; all makers have a failure rate so none are absolutely reliable in every box. Thus, the important factor is how reliable is their warranty.

Bushnell offers excellent value for the money. Some makers, like Bushnell, have multipul lines at very different price points. When I see posts complaining about Bushnell I suspect they are comparing a very low dollar Walmart "blister pack" Bushnell to others costing far more. I've not found anything to be "better" for normal hunter's than Bushnell's reasonably priced 3200/4200 scopes.

Up until recently scopes were not a big ticket item for me. A $100 big box store special of the month was as far as I was ever willing to spend. My longrange game reflected those decisions as well, but it didnt make sense to me at the time to invest in good glass. Seen too many scopes lose zero, fog up internally or even a whoops or two throw into the mix.
    However when i decided to buy a quality optic I chose Vortex primarily for their popularity and their no BS warranty. That gave me the comfort to shell out the big bucks for scopes, because no matter what happens to that scope it retains its value through the warranty.

Isn’t Vortex a Chinese scope? I rank Leupold higher than Vortex and killer guarantee. Besides the proven track record of Leupold. I don’t by Chinese. It’s like Craftsman tools they used to be top grade American made with life guarantee. Now they are junk with a guarantee of being replaced by same junk.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    Honestly, all the years I have shot rifles, I've always not paid much attention to scope quality. To me, it either worked or it didn't. Until yesterday, when I went to a new range to test out my brand new Bushnell 12.5x50 Dusk to dawn on my Savage Axis .308. I have used Bushnell in the past with good results. I thought maybe if I "upped" the magnification along with lighted reticles it may give some advantage-WRONG. It's almost like reticles not adhering to adjustments I made.

I started out at 50 yards (after bore sighting) and couldn't make a group for nothing! Got 2 on paper nowhere close to each other! Was using Winchester 170 gr sp's. Was sitting and using nylon ammo bag to prop.

My MAIN question is, (since I can't afford a 700.00-1000.00 scope) what is the most used, stay accurate, dependable scope in low to medium price category? (I intentionally left out "Simmons, Tasco and Barska but you welcome to comment on these!)
    These symptoms sound like a scope mounted off bore axis, and the adjustments bottomed out in any one direction.

Any scope in such a situation will fail to give satisfaction.

A Leupold will often fix the situation because they usually have a larger range of adjustment.

Before shopping expensive scopes, fix your rifle. A real gunsmith can get you rings that both align with each other and the bore. Then the cheapest scope will get you on the paper. Then take your time on the upgrade.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    With Nikon and Weaver throwing in the towel there is less to choose from in mid priced optics. I have two Burris scout scopes, a Weaver rimfire 4x and a Trijicon 3-9 Accu Point. I think only one of the scout scopes is less than 20 years old. Now I will probably go with Burris in the event I need another.

Im not real big into long range but i may end up building a m70 8mm mag and i was throwing around the idea of the lucid l5. I know a lot of people have had complaints about the features but i think i could make it work. We'll see maybe someday
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    Isn’t Vortex a Chinese scope? I rank Leupold higher than Vortex and killer guarantee. Besides the proven track record of Leupold. I don’t by Chinese. It’s like Craftsman tools they used to be top grade American made with life guarantee. Now they are junk with a guarantee of being replaced by same junk.
    Depends on the model and price range
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

It is not with strength one will prevail; those who oppose The Lord will be broken

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234