spiral fluted barrel

any thoughts on how this barrel is going to shoot

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spiralflute.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	9573

Boolit Buddy
    I have one on a Remington 243 cal. made by a Russian company SPR18 and all I can say it shoots.
    I don't the 11mm rail on the top of the action for scope mounting :I had to cut the stock and change the recoil pad to get a shorter L.O.P.

Boolit Grand Master

Can't imagine you could guess how it will do only by looking at the
    outside.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

just wondering if any one has any experiance with spiral flutted barrels do they shoot strait or when warm will they start to walk the bullets around the target

it looks real pretty but will it shoot strait ?

Boolit Master

Anschutz done that My buddy had a 22 mag and at 50yds 10 shots were near same hole dont know on a hi power but any will drift if barrel gets to hot rick

Boolit Master
    I've got a spiral-fluted E.R. Shaw barrel on a 6.5-06, and it shoots like nobody's business. I've never really gotten in 'warm,' as in firing 20 rounds as quick as I can load them, but for a hunting rifle I'm quite pleased with it's accuracy.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I had Shaw rebarrel a Model 70 stainless that had a typical mid 90's (at least in my experience) junk Winchester barrel on it to a 257 Weatherby 26" 2.5 contour and had them spiral flute it. Shot great, never had a walking problem. The theory is, and it is just a theory that the spiral fluting will help the rotational torque from the bullet traveling down the barrel and being spun by the rifleing. Whether or not the barrel shoots IMO has litte to do with the fluting. I only had it fluted for weight purposes.

I hate to be pedantic but that is HELICAL fluting.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew375 View Post
    thank you andrew375 i will go back and google heilcal fluting i found bugger all under spiral fluting.
    i had never heard of or seen a barrel like this untill the boss asked me to set the mill up for it, it surprised the hell out of me as i am only 3 months into my first year of the apprenticeship.

Quote Originally Posted by waydownsouth View Post
    thank you andrew375 i will go back and google heilcal fluting i found bugger all under spiral fluting.
    i had never heard of or seen a barrel like this untill the boss asked me to set the mill up for it, it surprised the hell out of me as i am only 3 months into my first year of the apprenticeship.
    I only did helical milling during the third year of my apprenticeship, and then only at college. You need a Universal milling machine and dividing head with back gears. The biggest problem to helical milling barrels, apart from lack of evidence that they give any of the benefits that the makers claim, is supporting the barrel where the cutting is taking place. Particularly with the very high cutting forces required for barrel steels.

Spiral milling is the same except you use a rotary table geared into the cross feed.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

five flutes two passes per flute 45 minutes per pass

used two old barrels that were shot out and damaged as practice trying trying different things to get everything set up just right, learned a lot about milling but spent a heap of time standing there just watching the machine do its thing.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Cutting straight or helical flutes is very simple on a cnc mill that has a 4th axis.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Quote Originally Posted by andrew375 View Post
    i mentioned this to the boss who sat me down and explained the differance between spirals and helicals

this fluting is spiral fluting because the barrel is tapered and the fluting changes radius making it a spiral

if the fluting is done on a bolt or barrel with no taper and the fluting is parallel then yes it is helical fluting

the boss heard back from the owner of the barrel after initial sighting in it reliably shot .8 moa