MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: Worth it to re-bore

Boolit Master

Worth it to re-bore

I have a want for an Encore barrel in .375 Winchester.

Also have a 270 Win barrel I have pretty much nothing into.

Could JES rebore it to .375, and would it be worth it?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Banned

I would think it could be easily done. I think the .375 would be big enough to clean up the shouldered chamber of the .270.

I have not had anything done by JES, but have looked into it. His prices are reasonable and I've heard nothing but glowing reports about his work. If you want a .375 barrel, I'd say go for it. I'm sure it isn't a factory option from TC and having MGM make one for you would cost more.

Boolit Grand Master
    JES did a .38-55 for me and a .375 Win for a buddy. Great work.

Boolit Buddy
    Jesse is a great guy to deal with. He has done a Mauser barrel and a Contender for me, and 3 or 4 projects for my brother. Call him directly- he is very happy to answer questions from people who are undecided about his services. There are several details that he needs to know before he makes a decision on your project.

As far as whether or not it's worth it... "worth" is for you to decide. He does excellent work, has MANY repeat customers, delivers exactly what he promises, and is a nice guy to deal with. To me his services are worth it.

Agreed ! JES rebored, chopped and did a few other things to my Marlin 356 Win. shorty. Fast, reasonable and quality work. A straight rebore is around $250 including return shipping.

Boolit Grand Master

Nope, Page 85 and 139 indicate that the 270 Chamber will not clean up. https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...sting-Copy.pdf
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Moderator Emeritus

It would be about $75 more for an MTM barrel, IIRC. Could you sell the 270 bbl for more than that?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Sorry no the shoulder of the .270 is out further than the mouth of the .375. 2.2156" to shoulder with a diameter of .441" vs the .375 with a length of 2.020" and a diameter of.400". I just had a similar idea of turning a ruger #3 in .223 into a .300 blackout and Jessie walked me through the dimentions. I gotta give Jessie the HIGHEST regards I called him yesterday (fri) with my idea and he actually called me back this morning (sat) I figured I'd hear from him sometime Monday. To me anyone in this industry who calls back on a Saturday is the tops. Jessie has also done a rebore job for me and his communication, work & turn around time are the best I have ever dealt with.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    Sorry no the shoulder of the .270 is out further than the mouth of the .375. 2.2156" to shoulder with a diameter of .441" vs the .375 with a length of 2.020" and a diameter of.400". I just had a similar idea of turning a ruger #3 in .223 into a .300 blackout and Jessie walked me through the dimentions. I gotta give Jessie the HIGHEST regards I called him yesterday (fri) with my idea and he actually called me back this morning (sat) I figured I'd hear from him sometime Monday. To me anyone in this industry who calls back on a Saturday is the tops. Jessie has also done a rebore job for me and his communication, work & turn around time are the best I have ever dealt with.
    A .35 Whelen is always a good choice. Possibly a .375-06?

Boolit Master
    Jessie does list a .375 Whelen on his list of choices

.35 Whelen for the virtually unlimited boolit choices. Tell Jes what your muzzle diameter is and he’ll say yes or no. If yes, it’ll be your favorite barrel soon. As stated, the .375 Win. is too small in every direction to clean up the .270 chamber- the Whelen(35,.375, or .400)- will. And no extractor mods needed.

Boolit Buddy
    375 JDJ
    444 Marlin case necked to 375
    Base diameter of 444 is the same as 270/30-06

Moderator Emeritus

I would sell your 270 bbl and get what you want.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze