WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st time trying batter fried, squirrel

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I just made about a dozen and a half squirrel’s quarters yesterday and they all got devoured by the family! I filled the crockpot to top top with squirrel legs for five hours and then let him sit in the fridge overnight. When I took the quarters out of the crockpot the meet was so tender it was falling off the bones on the bottom ones. Next day I fried them up in my cast-iron pan out on the grill for about three minutes aside just till they got crunchy. I serve them over fried rice and homemade sweet-and-sour sauce man they were awesome!!! If Anybody’s never made the sweet-and-sour sauce you get at a Chinese buffet I’ll throw you a link to one of the recipes that I used.

https://www.daringgourmet.com/best-s...nd-sour-sauce/

I’d post a pic but there was none left.lol
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-27-2020 at 07:40 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Round two this morning and all seemed to go well. I cooked my squirrel pieces for 4 1/2 hours yesterday in the crockpot to the point where the meat was tender but it wasn’t falling off the bone. I put it in a Tupperware container overnight in the fridge and continued my project this morning. I basically fried it on both sides for about four minutes like I did the first batch. I then flipped the pieces for maybe a half a minute on each side because they had some white coming out of the batter. I’m guessing that was kosher salt I added in my batter and coating. You can see a couple little spots got dark but it’s not burnt. I’ll have to turn the heat down next round. I tried one piece so far and it’s as tender as chicken... If not more tender. I grabbed one of the small legs and pulled it apart and it came apart really easy. It was nice and moist as well. So anybody wants to give it a try I’d suggest to cook squirrel in the crockpot for 4 1/2 hours first. It’s very tender this way.

good job.

this is my favorite way to make FRIED squirrel/rabbit/chicken.
    slow cook till tender, then batter (not breading) and fry.

i do like all the above in a dumpling or pot pie scenario but fried is fried.

WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master

A depression era microwave (pressure cooker) for 20 minutes before breading and frying will make your tree rat more tendererer more quickerer.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    An instant pot is on my list

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    In my opinion, squirrel is about the best meat you can taste......However......we always stewed it a long time because it is TOUGH like , well, like a squirrel.
    Same here , most meals consisted of squirrel , simmered long in brown gravy and served with them big cat head biscuits ..... man that thought makes me hungry .

Both my Daddy and myself raised rabbits ...and the only reason we raised them is so we could "harvest" some tender young ones and chicken fry them ...Man there is nothing better than young tender , fried rabbit and a big bowl of potato salad .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

My wife fries it like you would chicken until done and golden brown and then pressure cooks it for 15-20 minutes.
    Some of those old timers have been running through those trees for some time and can be quite tough if just fried.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12